Nexus 4: Overnight charging freezes phone

pohutakawa

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm used to charging my phone overnight and did this without a problem with my HTC Desire HD but if I charge my Nexus 4 overnight, in the morning the screen is black and nothing wakes up (except the blue notification light if I have mail). The only thing I can do is hold the power button in for 30 seconds or so until it re-boots. Sometimes the battery icon fills the screen when I do this.

Is it possible to overcharge a battery? Am I wrong to charge overnight?

Is this a known issue?

Help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Overnight charging freezes phone

I've never heard of this happening. Try enabling daydream mode (Settings -> Display -> Daydream) for charging and see if it's still frozen in the morning (might want to put something over the phone to hide the screen, unless you like nightlights).

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

It's a long-shot, but if you have any sort of screen protector covering the proximity sensor (top left corner of screen; two small circles), don't do that.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I don't know that the screen protector which came "with the phone" was meant to be left permanently installed; possibly it does not have the necessary capacitive properties to be used in this manner.

Just saying...

pohutakawa

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

I thought as much but it's still very new (only a week old) and I don't want to scratch the screen. I'm sure it can't be making the phone freeze as it's charging.

Mike Dross

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

This is happening to me as well and I have to set a backup alarm for the mornings so I dont miss work. Any fix coming for this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo