Nexus 4 wifi hand over issues

richhoops

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I've searched around but couldn't find much on this problem for the Nexus 4, if this is in the wrong place or I'm duplicating a post I couldn't find I apologise.

In brief, I'm now on Nexus 4 number 3, the first one fried on it's initial charge so it was replaced but the second and third handsets I have had the same issues with and I wondered if anyone else had come across this or had any ideas to troubleshoot?

Basically whenever wifi drops off I get stuck on grey bars and the phone won't connect to 3G/HSPA without a reboot or toggling airplane mode off and on. It also randomly drops to grey bars on occasions whilst connected to wifi and again the bars won't go blue without an airplane mode toggle.

On top of that I've had radios "crash" for example bluetooth which I would toggle on and it would immediately toggle itself off again (requires reboot to fix) and I've been shown as "connected" to a wifi network when I've driven miles away from it. These have been rarer issues though, day to day it appears to be the wifi handover that causes the most problems.

It happens in various locations with different WiFi networks and with little consistency which makes working it through a bit of a bugger. I've done full wipes both through settings and through recovery with no luck, I've tried un-installing apps that *might* interfere with power management but that didn't help either. I've half convinced myself it's a problem at my end as to have two handsets with the same issue seems unlikely/unlucky but I really can't think of what else to do in order to resolve it.

Any thoughts appreciated!

:confused:

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
the playstore on my Nexus randomely says "no connection, retry" even though my wifi doesn't go grey and it is perfect. Dunno, just a bit of information you might be able to use (who knows, every bit helps right?)

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Are there other settings still in effect that might play with power savings/wifi? Did you test it factory new first before going through the multitude of setting adjustments? What about other hardware near you? DO you have a second phone with you at all times?

My other thoughts have to do with APN settings. Have you brought the phone into your carrier to set up and test?

richhoops

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi thanks for the replies - I'll answer the questions as clearly as I can

Are there other settings still in effect that might play with power savings/wifi?
The only things I have left are a profile management app and NFC task launcher but none of them are set to do anything with wifi although obviously they could do if told to.

Did you test it factory new first before going through the multitude of setting adjustments?
yeh basically after the latest wipe all I've done is pull down the apps through the google restore function, I've not played with any particular settings.

What about other hardware near you? DO you have a second phone with you at all times?
Yes I do and I don't get an repeats of the same issues.

My other thoughts have to do with APN settings. Have you brought the phone into your carrier to set up and test?
My SIM seems to have automatically chucked some APN settings on there related to my network - I'll double check them and see that they are 100% correct.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Just for yucks, I would try powering down your second phone and see if there is anything different. Just grasping straws here at possible interference issues.

anon(146480)

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have experienced the Bluetooth issue you described. It gets stuck in the off setting and can't turn it on.

I don't have a solution for you. Just the comfort that you are not alone.

I have left the Bluetooth on and don't bother changing it.

Sonic Alpha

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
For the wifi thing, it could be an ip address issue. Mine was like that yesterday while I was setting it up, turned out it had ported over the settings from my Nexus 7 and they were both clashing.

Shut down any other devices that are connecting to your router (wired, or wireless), and see if it clears up.

Not sure about your other problems.

sheist

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I just got my nexus 4 finally and I can confirm I am having the same issue as you. Whenever I move out of WiFi (I move in and out of multiple hotspots per day) my phone won't connect to mobile data unless I cycle airplane mode :(

Any extra info appreciated.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
the bluetooth getting stuck in the off position is a bug in 4.2 I think. Happens to me on both my N4 and N7. Have to reboot to fix it.

It still kind of boggles my mind how buggy 4.2 really is. =/

jhotmann

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I also experience similar issues. It is not every time I leave WiFi, but maybe once every couple of days. When this happens my phone will connect to mobile data and turn blue for about a half second and then they go gray and the H disappears. This repeats until I reboot or toggle airplane mode. Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

richhoops

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, just to update my situation

I spent a couple of weeks testing my original phone (which I factory reset and had no installed apps on) alongside the new replacement handset Google sent me (which I restored all my apps on).

Both phones continued to error in much the same way, although the factory reset device did it less and sometimes wouldn't have the same issue when the day to day device alongside it did. That made me think it might be related to a specific app but working through tests removing/installing on an app by app basis saw no consistent or obvious answers.

I did manage to whittle down my issue to one area though. The problems I was having at work were similar in end result but caused by issues with the access points in the building. Once that was resolved I was left with one consistent area of problem - leaving my home WiFi network . Every time I would get out of range of my home WiFi it would sit on grey bars and not switch to 3G/HSPA without a reboot or an airplane mode toggle.

I couldn't find anyway round this and finally had to return the original device to Google for credit. I was just starting to accept it as a quirk that I'd have to live with but then 4.2.2 hit and since installing that it has been absolutely fine! I'm hoping it stays that way now. Fingers crossed the update has addressed this.

James Eley

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

New here, 1st post so that hopefully I can offer what might resolve the issue.

I noticed that all things internet where dire, mainly at home. Was at a family members house and realised that speed was OK and no drop outs. Realised they were on wireless G and not mixed or N. Got home tried this and miraculously everything was as it should be. Not sure if the issue is N or the fact its mixed.

Prior to this trying to use YouTube was impossible, after the change streaming was instant.

Hth

Bill Fraser

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Had exactly the same wifi failure problems with my first N4 and a replacement. Got very annoyed when Google Cust support said I might have to repay a restocking fee for the returned items. For faulty kit. I don't think so !

Sue Clinton

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Only had my Nexus 4 for a couple of days and as it's my first smartphone ever, I'm sure you'll appreciate that I'm no expert. However, I did successfully get my wifi set up and enjoyed time playing around with the phone for the day. During this time, I switched on Bluetooth and left it running. Today I've spent trying to figure out why my wifi has no connection and refuses to even try to connect, claiming I'm out of range. I'm three feet away, tops, honest! I've just switched off Bluetooth and yes, you've guessed it, I'm now happily connected to my home wifi again. I don't know if this helps anyone out there facing a similar situation, just thought I'd share.

Sue

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I use nfc tags to toggle wifi off and then bluetooth on in the car and then bluetooth off and wifi on once I get inside my home. Once I did not do this and I had an issue of where my wifi was on and I was out of range of my home network and I had this issue issue of no mobile data and had to toggle airplane mode to get it back. If I turn the wifi toggle off with nfc when I get in my car (the wifi is still connected to my network when I toggle it off), the phone works fine. I wonder if you have wifi enabled and then go out of range of the network before turning it off or leaving it on out of range of the network it was connected to, it has the hand off issue? I also adjusted my APN and took IPv6 off of both APN protocol and APN roaming protocol leaving only IPv4 on both.

Have not had the issue once since toggling the wifi off before leaving my house. Just a thought. I have a dual band N router and the nexus 4 connect to the 2.4 GHz band.