Is the nexus 4 the fastest phone available?

siriusnoodles

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
More RAM does not equate speed. More RAM just means the phone can do more at once.

And it is a problem, especially since the HTC One X+ runs Sense UI. My father has an HTC One X+, and I checked its system processes. 758 MB out of 813 MB of RAM were being used even though there were no applications running, just the system services. Multitasking was also non-existent, every time that he pressed the recent apps button and went to a different app, he had to wait for the app to load up again. On my Nexus 4, in contrast, 660 MB out of 1200 MB are being used while Facebook, Google+, Avast, Xfinity Player, and a live wallpaper are running at the same time, and it multitasked without breaking a sweat. What gives? I had to install Nova Launcher on my dad's phone so that it would show the closing app animation correctly.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
The test may have nothing to do with multi tasking but can be affected by it. If background tasks are running alongside the task it will mean the "simply fast addition/subtraction/division and multiplication of integer" is sharing cpu time with other integers being manipulated... therefore slowing it down

There is no other integer being manipulated. You would know that had you bothered to read the test procedure:

"Background Activity
It is strongly recommended during benchmarking that the device not be used. This includes touching of the screen or pressing any buttons. Any background application and/or services can also affect the system score."

Background applications are to be turned off. So you shut down the apps running in the background when you do the test. So app multitasking is INACTIVE during the test.

I have a SGS3 and an iPhone 5 and I did the test on both. My numbers are very close to the numbers on the website for the S3 and the iPhone 5. I trust the results from the website because I was able to replicate them on my own handsets. I suggest you do the same for your handset and see the scores.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There is no other integer being manipulated. You would know that had you bothered to read the test procedure:

"Background Activity
It is strongly recommended during benchmarking that the device not be used. This includes touching of the screen or pressing any buttons. Any background application and/or services can also affect the system score."

Background applications are to be turned off. So you shut down the apps running in the background when you do the test. So app multitasking is INACTIVE during the test.

I have a SGS3 and an iPhone 5 and I did the test on both. My numbers are very close to the numbers on the website for the S3 and the iPhone 5. I trust the results from the website because I was able to replicate them on my own handsets. I suggest you do the same for your handset and see the scores.

Sent from my iPhone 7

got an iphone 7? :p

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Weather the benchmark measures the multitasking is beside the point. Your phone is a computer in your pocket and has processes running in the background. These consume power cycles whenever the phone is doing something else including running benchmarks. iOS had fewer of these than android.

So even after you kill app multitasking on both iOS and Android devices, the iOS devices are faster. This is what I originally said about optimizing the software to the hardware. iOS is very efficient and therefore requires less CPU cores to run. By contrast Android is not as efficient and required 4 cores on the CPU and is still slower than an iOS device. This is what the data shows on the website.

Sent from my iPhone 7

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
And it is a problem, especially since the HTC One X+ runs Sense UI. My father has an HTC One X+, and I checked its system processes. 758 MB out of 813 MB of RAM were being used even though there were no applications running, just the system services. Multitasking was also non-existent, every time that he pressed the recent apps button and went to a different app, he had to wait for the app to load up again. On my Nexus 4, in contrast, 660 MB out of 1200 MB are being used while Facebook, Google+, Avast, Xfinity Player, and a live wallpaper are running at the same time, and it multitasked without breaking a sweat. What gives? I had to install Nova Launcher on my dad's phone so that it would show the closing app animation correctly.

The amount of free ram is irrelevant. Android will automatically kill unneeded processes but my point is that Android has more mandatory background processes than iOS. And yes Sense and Touchwiz have more than stock android.

The multitasking issue you describe is a side effect of HTC being TOO aggressive in killing background processes.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
when i compare benchmarking, i dont compare apples to androids... i compare android to android.
the iphone 5 is fast and smooth... if i am in the market for an iphone there is only one phone to go to.
the only reason i may give any attention to benchmarking is to see how one android stacks up to another.

siriusnoodles

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The amount of free ram is irrelevant. Android will automatically kill unneeded processes but my point is that Android has more mandatory background processes than iOS. And yes Sense and Touchwiz have more than stock android.

The multitasking issue you describe is a side effect of HTC being TOO aggressive in killing background processes.

The multitasking issue is an engineering problem that HTC introduces by having such a heavy UI overlay. And RAM really does matter when it comes to multitasking, as well as having multiple cores. Having more RAM is great for running tasks at the same time, and in my opinion, HTC does not make efficient use of the 1 GB that it includes. I had a Samsung Infuse before my Nexus 4, and flashed it to Cyanogenmod 10 (Android 4.1) for the sake of updating, and only 212 out of my 512 MB of memory were being used. My point being, is that Touchwiz and LG's Optimus UIs make much better use of resources than HTC Sense, and I hope that the next iteration of Sense fixes this. Other than that problem, I really do like HTC phones. The reason why I got a Nexus 4 was so that I could have timely and guaranteed firmware updates that add to the value of my phone.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Benchmarks are decieving. The iPhone lacks true multitasking so of course its going to perform better. There are fewer background tasks to use processor cycles.

More cores does not mean faster it just means they it can do more at once and if the benchmark isn't designed to take advantage of the multiple cores its worthless. Benchmarks mean next to nothing in real world performance. That's why AC stopped using them in their reviews.

I still find it sad that some people put so much credibility into them and use them as the sole base of their argument when they try to convince people one side is better than the other.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So even after you kill app multitasking on both iOS and Android devices, the iOS devices are faster. This is what I originally said about optimizing the software to the hardware. iOS is very efficient and therefore requires less CPU cores to run. By contrast Android is not as efficient and required 4 cores on the CPU and is still slower than an iOS device. This is what the data shows on the website.

Sent from my iPhone 7

We have been talking about two different things.

I'm referring to the mandatory background processes you get in ANY computer and can't be disabled unless you root. Some are part of Android, some come from the application framework (ie Sense), and some come form apps that are installed and set to run at boot. There is no way the benchmark turns the off.

I'm not talking about processes from apps that you just have running on your phone because Android hasn't killed them yet.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm referring to the mandatory background processes you get in ANY computer and can't be disabled unless you root. Some are part of Android, some come from the application framework (ie Sense), and some come form apps that are installed and set to run at boot. There is no way the benchmark turns the off.

Then you have to ask the question why does Android have so many background processes that cannot be disabled and IOS does not? Why is iOS designed to be so efficient that a dual core processor with 3 GPUs and 1 gig of RAM can run faster than a quad core processor with 2 gigs of RAM? Why isn't the Android software better optimized to the hardware by the OEM handset makers? Why is the OEM handset makers' solution to the problem of the inefficiency of the software to throw larger CPUs that require more battery power and hence larger phones?

Until the Android software is optimized to the hardware, iOS will still be faster, and use energy more efficiently than Android.

Sent from my iPhone 7

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I want this phone but no luck to get one... so, I settled with HTC One X+... speaking of, I believe this is the fastest mobile now in the market having quad-core 1.7Ghz... the only downside is its RAM... still at 1GB...
You got a sweet phone. It does so many things well. Good choice even with 1gb of ram.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forum

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my iPhone 7
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Please spare us. No one cares about benchmarks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Please spare us. No one cares about benchmarks.

You don't care. Others do. If no one cared then the website mentioned in this thread will not have thousands of uploaded data from users benchmarking their devices.

Sent from my iPhone 7

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You don't care. Others do. If no one cared then the website mentioned in this thread will not have thousands of uploaded data from users benchmarking their devices.

Sent from my iPhone 7
it's a topic that has been beaten to death. It's not helping this thread or the reason it was started. The fact that AC staff don't value benchmarks says a lot. It's like arguing whether a Ferrari is faster than a Lamborghini. They both go super fast yet the speed limit is 60mph. My nexus 4 runs as fast as I can slide my fingers over the icons. The iPhone may do this faster but it's irrelevant. We are getting to the point where the hardware supersedes the software. So this was the reason for my comment. If you like to start arguments about minuscule benchmarks then please start a new thread.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams