T Mobile 4G no contract & Google Voice App outgoing calls?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Anybody using the ($30), 100 minute, 5GB 4G data, T Mobile 4G monthly no contract plan with Nexus 4 and the Google Voice App to make outgoing GV calls? What is your experience like trying to make OUTGOING calls using your GV app on your TMO phone through the TMO sim? (I know those minutes are counted against your TMO plan).

Specifically, are you able to make outgoing calls using the GV app to route a call through the TMO sim, or does TMO block you from doing this? If you are not blocked, then, 1) which caller ID shows up to the party you are calling, and, 2) does call quality noticeably suffer regularly?

Thanks in advance.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you have to use an app called grooveIp to make calls via google voice. calls are made using your data plan and wont count toward your minutes.

google voice app dont have this feature. if you make calls using google voice the receiver will see your google voice number

Last edited:

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
@still1 thanks! I know how to use groove ip and understand how to use it on both wifi and data so you don't get charged minutes. however, my question is a bit different.

i was asking if you can directly dial with the google voice app with your t mobile sim/number/phone. in this scenario you would be using your t mobile sim and your t mobile minutes. the idea is to make calls from your phone with having google voice show up on the caller id for the person you are calling even when you are using your phone's sim minutes.

i imagine there would be times with no wifi and the 3G/4G data signal wasn't strong enough to use groove ip , and you'd have to rely on your regular t mobile minutes. in those cases, i still would like my google voice # showing on the caller ID to the person I am calling.

i should add i haven't yet signed up for a plan with my Nexus 4. i just got it, and i am actually waiting for my t mobile activation kit. i am just trying to see what users experiences are and trying to learn and get acquainted with the ins and outs. i was able to install groove ip and use over wifi even though i don't have a sim card installed right now.

thanks.

Last edited:

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
@still1 thanks! I know how to use groove ip and understand how to use it on both wifi and data so you don't get charged minutes. however, my question is a bit different.

i was asking if you can directly dial with the google voice app with your t mobile sim/number/phone. in this scenario you would be using your t mobile sim and your t mobile minutes. the idea is to make calls from your phone with having google voice show up on the caller id for the person you are calling even when you are using your phone's sim minutes.

i imagine there would be times with no wifi and the 3G/4G data signal wasn't strong enough to use groove ip , and you'd have to rely on your regular t mobile minutes. in those cases, i still would like my google voice # showing on the caller ID to the person I am calling.

i should add i haven't yet signed up for a plan with my Nexus 4. i just got it, and i am actually waiting for my t mobile activation kit. i am just trying to see what users experiences are and trying to learn and get acquainted with the ins and outs. i was able to install groove ip and use over wifi even though i don't have a sim card installed right now.

thanks.

There is a toggle for gv calls to let you choose which number you call out with.

I just tried using the toggle and it worked, it showed my gv number on the caller Id

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

thanks.
yes, in google voice app settings there is an option to
1. always ask
2. always use google voice
3. never use google voice

and i believe the receiver see the GV number(not sure, I have to test it out.)

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
okay. many thanks to the last 2 posters (still1 and MJ).

i know exactly what you two are talking about -- the toggle or the feature in the google voice app. i just can't use it myself since i don't yet have a sim card, so i can't practice and see what caller id shows up on the other end.

but primarily i was just trying to see whether or not t mobile blocked the google voice app from making outgoing calls. and you 2 answered the question. obviously you can. thanks again.

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
you have to use an app called grooveIp to make calls via google voice. calls are made using your data plan and wont count toward your minutes.

google voice app dont have this feature. if you make calls using google voice the receiver will see your google voice number

few questions:

1. so you need both grooveip and google voice installed on the phone ?
2. is there a way to set it up where the calls incoming/outcoming can be used with your GV # in the native dialer? same goes with texts you get with GV, can they be sent to the native message app?

TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm also interested in this 4G Monthly plan ($30 for 5gb data, 100 minutes, unlimited text). Anyone else have it? Is the VOIP calling decent enough that this is an actual possibility as a phone plan?

I don't use that many minutes (last month I used 148), but I wouldn't want to use VOIP if it isn't at least decent. Call clarity? Dropped calls? Anything like that?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
1. i am not sure how you would get GV to use native msg app, or even if possible.
2. groove ip is used to make voip calls over wifi and/or 3g/4g so your plan's minutes don't get charged.
3. i was the op, and my question was basically addressing/asking how to use the native dialer to make outgoing calls, so you can basically use your google voice number on your t mobile. i don't think it can be done with the native dialer. i think you would have to use the google voice app. again, that is exactly what i was asking in my op. i think the answer you have to use the google voice app and this would have nothing to do with groove ip.
4. the whole issue of using google voice and google voice mail for incoming calls is a whole new giant pickle and there are tons of threads that try to address this. i think the issue there is 'forwarding' and i don't know anything about it. i think that all has to do with whether or not t mobile will forward your calls to your google voice mailbox. from what i gather from the threads (again i have no hands on experience) is that t mobile blocks forwarding and you have to use some workaround like disabling your t mobile voicemail, so that way your calls always route to your google voice mailbox.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm also interested in this 4G Monthly plan ($30 for 5gb data, 100 minutes, unlimited text). Anyone else have it? Is the VOIP calling decent enough that this is an actual possibility as a phone plan?

I don't use that many minutes (last month I used 148), but I wouldn't want to use VOIP if it isn't at least decent. Call clarity? Dropped calls? Anything like that?

I just got my Nexus 4 and I'm waiting for my sim activation kit in the mail. In the meantime I've been using VOIP on wifi with Groove IP and Google Voice and the voice quality is excellent. But I have really good home wifi signal. I can't speak to using VOIP on 3g/4G data because I haven't used that yet, but the threads seem to indicate you can use it but it is not very good

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
few questions:

1. so you need both grooveip and google voice installed on the phone ?
2. is there a way to set it up where the calls incoming/outcoming can be used with your GV # in the native dialer? same goes with texts you get with GV, can they be sent to the native message app?
1. Not necessarily. grooveip cant text message. GV app can be used to text, Grooveip for voice call via GV number
2. Yes, mentioned above by me and MJ. its in the GV settings

TURBOSPARTAN

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Nexus 4 and I'm waiting for my sim activation kit in the mail. In the meantime I've been using VOIP on wifi with Groove IP and Google Voice and the voice quality is excellent. But I have really good home wifi signal. I can't speak to using VOIP on 3g/4G data because I haven't used that yet, but the threads seem to indicate you can use it but it is not very good

I guess what I was asking, is how well it works over 3g/4G. I'm also considering getting that plan and using it as my "WiFi router", but I'm not sure how well that will actually work. With a Nexus device using its native "hotspot", 5GB of 4G data would be perfect for my home internet needs. I just don't know if the connection is "reliable enough" for when my other electronics are using the WiFi (tablet, ps3, PC's, etc.).

Thoughts?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
1. i am not sure how you would get GV to use native msg app, or even if possible.

if you open Google voice app-->menu-->settings-->sync and notification-->receive text messages-->via the messaging app

message send to google voice number will show up on the messaging app. but the problem is when you reply to that message.
I think it will use your normal number via carrier when you reply. I haven't tested this.

btw, since you dont have sim you can try to test this feature by sending text to GV number and try to reply back

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm using both GV and GrooveIP on the Tmo $30 plan. They both work great. With GV, if you don't want anyone to see your actual carrier phone number when you text, in other words they only see your GV number, you have to use the GV messaging app. That app only shows your GV number as the sender. The only downside is that you cannot send MMS (picture messages) through GV. It's a GV thing, not a Tmo thing. If you text with Androids native messaging app, it will show your text coming from your cell phones actual number.

Likewise, as long as you told GV to always use GV, any call you make, whether made via GrooveIp or via the cell connection, the receiver of the call only sees your GV number. And assuming you told GV to always use GV for calls, it doesn't matter what dialer you use (I use Dialer One), the called party only sees your GV number.

As far as GrooveIP goes, it works pretty well most of the time. Occasionally, I get a choppy sounding call with it. On the plus side, if you don't wont to try GrooveIP, even if you double your allotted cell minutes (using 200 minutes), your bill for the month still only runs you $40.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm using both GV and GrooveIP on the Tmo $30 plan. They both work great. With GV, if you don't want anyone to see your actual carrier phone number when you text, in other words they only see your GV number, you have to use the GV messaging app. That app only shows your GV number as the sender. The only downside is that you cannot send MMS (picture messages) through GV. It's a GV thing, not a Tmo thing. If you text with Androids native messaging app, it will show your text coming from your cell phones actual number.

Likewise, as long as you told GV to always use GV, any call you make, whether made via GrooveIp or via the cell connection, the receiver of the call only sees your GV number. And assuming you told GV to always use GV for calls, it doesn't matter what dialer you use (I use Dialer One), the called party only sees your GV number.

As far as GrooveIP goes, it works pretty well most of the time. Occasionally, I get a choppy sounding call with it. On the plus side, if you don't wont to try GrooveIP, even if you double your allotted cell minutes (using 200 minutes), your bill for the month still only runs you $40.

Do you have any problems having Google Voice mail picking up incoming Google Voice calls?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any problems having Google Voice mail picking up incoming Google Voice calls?

I have no problems with everything going to GV voicemail, but to insure that all unanswered calls go to GV voicemail instead of the carriers voicemail, I called Tmo and asked them to disable my voicemail feature.

pitchersduel

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have no problems with everything going to GV voicemail, but to insure that all unanswered calls go to GV voicemail instead of the carriers voicemail, I called Tmo and asked them to disable my voicemail feature.

so you use strictly GV/GrooveIP? or do you use a combo of both GV/GrooveIP and the stock messenger app (for MMS)?

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been using GV with my T-Mo phone and T-Mo prepaid sim for the past 2 weeks and basically agree with all of the above posts:

1. You can have all outgoing calls routed through GV through the settings menu. Based on the speed which the call connects and the clarity, compared with my data speed in the same location, I think this method still uses voice minutes. I believe the GV app calls out to the GV system, then automatically calls the actual # you dialed. The only limitation I found is that you must dial the full 10-digit # for this to work. Otherwise, it will show your regular T-mo #.

2. As noted by earlier posts, you can select whether SMS sent to your GV number is routed to the GV app or the phone's stock messaging app via the GV settings menu. Sending an SMS through GV will reflect it as from your GV #. Sending from the stock app shows your T-Mo #, and it's the only way to send an MMS. GV only has beta test support for receiving MMS messages send to your GV # only for Sprint customers at this point, and even then it doesn't work reliably.

3. If you're looking for a way to not use your voice mins, you can use the previously mentioned grooveIP with your GV account info. An alternative you may want to also try is the Vonage app - I actually use that and find it has better quality and speed of connection than the GrooveIP app. The Vonage app is free and you don't have to be a vonage customer for it to work. Outgoing calls from Vonage are shown with your T-Mo #.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
so you use strictly GV/GrooveIP? or do you use a combo of both GV/GrooveIP and the stock messenger app (for MMS)?

I use both GV and GrooveIP. Most of the time I have GrooveIP on. When I get a call, if it's sounding OK (it usually is), I continue talking. If it gets choppy sounding, I hang up, turn GrooveIP off and call the person back over the cellular network via GV. The only exception I make to this is if I have an important call to make that I don't want to risk a possible bad connection on, I will start out with GrooveIp off and make the call over cell (using GV).

As far as MMS goes, I NEVER use the native messaging app, so I NEVER MMS. Using the native messaging app would send out my real cell number to people and defeat the entire purpose of having GV . At first, no one that you sent an MMS to would know it was you, then, no matter what you told them, they would start communicating with you on that number. If I want to send someone a picture, I email it. If you can't live without MMS, then you need to not use GV. Hopefully Google will eventually add this feature, but it doesn't exist today.