Nexus 4 back shattered within 24 hours - not dropped!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, after reading the OP and Droid-Life Blog I am a bit concerned. It's almost a necessity to have a full protective case on day one to protect the back. It's unfortunate that this happened in such a short time frame after receiving.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
As I've said before, if you don't care for this thread, feel free to move on instead of posting. Do not take this thread off topic again.

Sent from my SGSIII

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
As I've said before, if you don't care for this thread, feel free to move on instead of posting. Do not take this thread off topic again.

Sent from my SGSIII
Wow. I'm surprised by the insensitivity and distrust in this thread. Kinda crazy. I haven't had any issues with my phone but certainly feel for you. The cracking of that glass certainly looks very different to anything I've seen before. Sorry you had the issues Mark. You should get another phone. Your situation is not the norm.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow, after reading the OP and Droid-Life Blog I am a bit concerned. It's almost a necessity to have a full protective case on day one to protect the back. It's unfortunate that this happened in such a short time frame after receiving.

Don't be. This was a freak accident, likely caused by a defect in the glass panel and possibly exacerbated by temperature shifts. There are hundreds of thousands of Nexus 4s out there. If this really was a problem we'd know by now.

<- Proud to carry a naked Nexus 4.

Mark The Mark

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey thanks for all the positive stuff coming out now. Good to see that if you google "nexus 4 and shatter" you get this thread top hit!

One other thing I should mention is that the charging cable was in the phone at the time... in fact the complete story is that it was charging, then I picked it up to check a text and reply... for about 2 mins....then I put it back on the surface to continue charging that that's when it shattered (as you can see, certainly not badly treated!!!)

So... don't know if there's any electrical influence going on here. Probably not, but worth mentioning anyhow.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
One other thing I should mention is that the charging cable was in the phone at the time... in fact the complete story is that it was charging, then I picked it up to check a text and reply... for about 2 mins....then I put it back on the surface to continue charging that that's when it shattered (as you can see, certainly not badly treated!!!)

So... don't know if there's any electrical influence going on here. Probably not, but worth mentioning anyhow.

Electrical influence? Probably not, but to me that definitely points to a temperature fluctuation as the root cause. The battery can get hot when charging, and if you had a fault in the battery and/or the glass those two problems could have snowballed. As someone mentioned earlier, it sounds like you just got a bum unit that was doomed to fail at some point.

Aengus Longmire

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Brought my N4 when they came back in stock, last week, it arrived on Friday, had no problems, today I was playing Temple Run 2, phone got very hot so i quit the game then i noticed one hairline crack on the back, after more use later on the same thing happened, and then repeated itself again, i now have 3 cracks on the back of my panel without dropping it once! Called up LG and they said its been reported a lot of times but they're not treating it as a common fault so it's not under warranty, and was told to call Google, after struggling to give my details to the caller i was then put on hold for ages, where i eventually gave up waiting. Disappointed in the N4 build faults such as the ear piece constantly making interference noises. :mad:

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure if this was anywhere near a common occurrence there would be articles about it at this point. (Unless I just haven't seen them.)

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Brought my N4 when they came back in stock, last week, it arrived on Friday, had no problems, today I was playing Temple Run 2, phone got very hot so i quit the game then i noticed one hairline crack on the back, after more use later on the same thing happened, and then repeated itself again, i now have 3 cracks on the back of my panel without dropping it once! Called up LG and they said its been reported a lot of times but they're not treating it as a common fault so it's not under warranty, and was told to call Google, after struggling to give my details to the caller i was then put on hold for ages, where i eventually gave up waiting. Disappointed in the N4 build faults such as the ear piece constantly making interference noises. :mad:

I've played Temple Run 2 for long stretches at a time with no problems. Phone gets warm, but not any more so than when using other apps heavily. I also have no ear piece distortion. Just goes to show most problems are not universal. Try talking to Google again, you could probably get an RMA for the earpiece noise if nothing else.

Mark The Mark

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure if this was anywhere near a common occurrence there would be articles about it at this point. (Unless I just haven't seen them.)

Google "nexus 4 shatter" - there are quite a few. Bear in mind only a tiny fraction of people can be bothered to post about the problem also.

Another thing that's starting to annoy me - the RMA - here in the UK at least, I have to wait for Google to send me packaging before I can send back the phone... well, despite getting an email saying I'd get the packaging "within 4 working days", 5 days later... no packaging. I called them back and the support guy said they were experiencing lots of demand so that was actually "at least 4 days" and probably up to 2 weeks.

So, firstly, why do they then say "within" when they mean "at least", and why are they having so many RMAs that they can't stick to their original SLA.

Not impressed :(

Last edited:

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
After seeing the article that was linked and a quick search I'm surprised how often this has happened. Though it's true that its still a small percentage and an even smaller percentage bother to report it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

zaslek

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Wish I had read this earlier =/
I just happened to set it on a granite countertop after a call (In the boston area which is super snowy/cold) and I picked it up and was like wtf happened to my phone. Glass looks exactly like the OP

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It's funny cause I've been debating on either the N4 to go with my N10,or the S3. I think I made my choice now. Haha

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's funny cause I've been debating on either the N4 to go with my N10,or the S3. I think I made my choice now. Haha

this phone is amazing. I would never consider any other device. I have have zero problems. Do I have a case? Yes! Any phone without a case looks like crap in a year unless you totally baby it with paranoid detail. Get the phone for half price, put a case on it and enjoy the lightening speed and regular updates.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

nexus4auir

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the level of unbelief toward the OP's dilemma. No surprise that the glass back will shatter with a temperature change, especially if there was a micro-defect in the glass.

I'm still not going to get a case for this. I like it bare-back. If it breaks, it breaks. I love the feel and look of the phone but I realize the risk I'm taking.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1