Nexus 4 - My phone number

wevans73

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Received a Nexus 4 on Friday from Google Play, have put my sim in and everything is working great. However, the My phone number section in settings is showing a different phone number than mine. Can anyone with a new Nexus 4 confirm this is normal.

I called Google and they said all phones come with a default number and I need to speak to my carrier if I want to change the number.

Any advice appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
On mine with a T-Mobile sim it just says unknown. I had to call another phone to even see what my temporary number even is.

wevans73

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for the reply. I can understand unknown just seems suspicious already having a number in...

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it does seem odd to already have a random number put in. But as long as your phone works I wouldn't worry about it.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Did you insert the sim with the phone off? Or reboot the phone after you insert the sim? Maybe it needs a restart to pick up the sim information.

wevans73

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Inserted sim with phone off. Just don't understand why it already has a number rather than showing unknown. Not too bothered if can't change just don't want a recon unit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Inserted sim with phone off. Just don't understand why it already has a number rather than showing unknown. Not too bothered if can't change just don't want a recon unit.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Just to be clear, "phone off" doesn't simply mean that the screen is dark - it means initiating the power off sequence by turning the phone on, holding the power button until te menu pops up, and tapping "Power off".

One way or another, you must reboot the phone after installing a SIM card.

wevans73

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes I powered of as per the sequence you describe. I am more interested in why it already had a phone number entered when it is a new unit. Thanks for your advice though.

Sonic Alpha

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Received a Nexus 4 on Friday from Google Play, have put my sim in and everything is working great. However, the My phone number section in settings is showing a different phone number than mine. Can anyone with a new Nexus 4 confirm this is normal.

I have this on mine. The number, at least in my case, is what the sim card was BEFORE I switched over my number (it's a replacement card, as I didn't have a micro sim on my last phone).

wevans73

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Interesting Sonic Alpha. I wonder if my sim has retained its original number and not the one I ported, although the port was months ago. I am using the same sim from my old phone, cut to size as it was a normal sim.

Googles answer just seems strange that they would send a phone with a default number already in...

wevans73

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Checked the packaging from my sim and the original number is the one displaying on the phone. Thanks very much for the pointer.

wevans73

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
what exacly are you seeing? can you post a screenshot.

Issue resolved. The phone number it is showing is the original number for the sim Virgin sent before I ported over my own number. The port was actually done a few months back.

The sim must retain the original number allocated. I believe it can be changed by contacting Virgin but not really that bothered. I just wanted to understand where the number had come from.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle