Nexus 4 - Definitely was worth the wait.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I an one of the people who waited for the Nexus 4 launch with great anticipation only to have my share of difficulty getting a device added to my wallet and then being cancelled three weeks later by an "unknown error" in the processing system. I admit I was more than a little frustrated.

When the phone was placed back into stock last week I once again ordered within a few hours of availability receiving a confirmation informing me that my order would be shipped within one to two weeks and the Play store showed an estimated shipping date of February 13th. I was more than amazed to get a tracking number and shipment confirmation the night I ordered the phone with delivery the next day.

SETUP:

Setting this phone up could not have been an easier task. I unpacked the phone, stuck it on my charger and a few hours later inserted my AT&T sim card out of my iPhone 4 into the Nexus. I jumped online through my home network connect and logged into my Google Account and almost instantly all of my Nexus 7 apps were available on my new shiny Nexus 4. I have set up several different iPhones through iTunes and the setup of the Nexus 4 was much easier and straight forward.

DEVICE BUILD:

I love the quality of the Nexus 4, it feels good in my hand and is super easy to use. The screen is vivid and clear in full HD quality, the construction of the phone just has a quality feel to it. No rattles, yellowing or bugs in my phone. On top of all the great features this phone just looks great and draws attention. Call quality is fantastic and great.

USE:

Here is where the Nexus 4 has won me over. I love how Google has managed to bring all of my Google services from Gmail to Picasa to Drive to Google+ all together and provide me with everything I am looking for or wanting all in one easy to navigate user interface. No longer do I need to use the Picasa app on my iPhone to search for a picture, save it to the iPhone and then share it on Instagram. Now, I can do all of this with one quick action with total integration. Google Voice is fully functional, Google Maps, Google Now - which knows more about me and my habits than my wife, Google Contacts and the list goes on and on. I cannot say enough great things about this phone and Jellybean.

ISSUES:

The only issue I have had is the battery life is short so far. I use my phone a lot and am online a lot but I have a hard time making the battery last long enough to suit me. Fortunately I can charge in the car but charging is slow. Otherwise the only issue is that as with all my past Android phones there is a tendancy for the phone to reboot at the least opportunistic times. This has not been frequent but still seems to be an issue albeit a minor bump in the road.

CONCLUSION:

The Nexus 4 gets a solid 5 out of 5 for me, I love this device and highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great quality smartphone.

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine tonight and I fully agree with your review I absolutely love this phone. In terms of the battery I know my buddy got his the week they went on sale and he mentioned that right away. I'd say 5-6 days later he messaged me saying he was getting a full day and sometimes a day and half on 1 charge. So I hope this is the case with the rest of the N4s.

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
It definitely is a great phone. The only negative thing about it is that it's not available for more people to buy it. More people need to enjoy this phone.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is where the Nexus 4 has won me over. I love how Google has managed to bring all of my Google services from Gmail to Picasa to Drive to Google+ all together and provide me with everything I am looking for or wanting all in one easy to navigate user interface. No longer do I need to use the Picasa app on my iPhone to search for a picture, save it to the iPhone and then share it on Instagram. Now, I can do all of this with one quick action with total integration. Google Voice is fully functional, Google Maps, Google Now - which knows more about me and my habits than my wife, Google Contacts and the list goes on and on. I cannot say enough great things about this phone and Jellybean.

ISSUES:

The only issue I have had is the battery life is short so far. I use my phone a lot and am online a lot but I have a hard time making the battery last long enough to suit me. Fortunately I can charge in the car but charging is slow. Otherwise the only issue is that as with all my past Android phones there is a tendancy for the phone to reboot at the least opportunistic times. This has not been frequent but still seems to be an issue albeit a minor bump in the road.

First, congrats and i am glad you are liking it. Sharing is very powerful in Android unlike iPhone where facebook and twitter are the only sharing option.
so lets say if you install facebook app, facebook sharing will automatically be integrated to those sharing button you find in the OS. just like your point about picture sharing(feel free to post features you liked on Android compared to iphone).

battery gets better after 2-3 weeks. I guess it will recalibate. I dont know what battery life you are expecting but today AS OF NOW i got
1 day 3 hrs 12 min on battery without a charge
with 2 hr 12 minutes on screen
1 hr 21 minutes on GPS (remember GPS drains battery like hell)

I still have 13% left on my battery

mattwayne2011

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Your Battery is bad because you were supposed to let it die after you first use it, and then charge it, it will make the rest of your use with the Nexus 4 be extraordinary:cool: and to the max!

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Your Battery is bad because you were supposed to let it die after you first use it, and then charge it, it will make the rest of your use with the Nexus 4 be extraordinary:cool: and to the max!
I never let my battery die and the battery DID get better after a couple weeks of use.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

That worked on batteries 10 years ago, but modern batteries actually get worse if you let them fully discharge like that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine tonight and I fully agree with your review I absolutely love this phone. In terms of the battery I know my buddy got his the week they went on sale and he mentioned that right away. I'd say 5-6 days later he messaged me saying he was getting a full day and sometimes a day and half on 1 charge. So I hope this is the case with the rest of the N4s.

I have read other posts that state the same and I am hopeful the battery will improve, it is definitely not a deal breaker for me even if it does not as the phone in all other ways is well worth all the goodness you get with it.

It definitely is a great phone. The only negative thing about it is that it's not available for more people to buy it. More people need to enjoy this phone.

Agreed, I notice the Play store now is showing 2-3 weeks shipping estimate. So, it looks like they are still in stock and available at the moment and I hope they continue to be. I can't imagine anyone wanting something other than a pure Google Android device. I have owned several other carrier purchased Android phones as well as the Nexus One and this phone ROCKS!!

Ordered mine today, can't wait!

You will be in pur Google Android Jellybean Bliss :)

First, congrats and i am glad you are liking it. Sharing is very powerful in Android unlike iPhone where facebook and twitter are the only sharing option.
so lets say if you install facebook app, facebook sharing will automatically be integrated to those sharing button you find in the OS. just like your point about picture sharing(feel free to post features you liked on Android compared to iphone).

battery gets better after 2-3 weeks. I guess it will recalibate. I dont know what battery life you are expecting but today AS OF NOW i got
1 day 3 hrs 12 min on battery without a charge
with 2 hr 12 minutes on screen
1 hr 21 minutes on GPS (remember GPS drains battery like hell)

I still have 13% left on my battery

That is great battery life, I also feel the battery life will get better as the battery is used. On my iPhone 4 I was averaging 16+ hours with the level of use I put on it yesterday so getting less than 8 was a little disappointing. I just know I need to take my charger into the office with me today so that I still have some battery life at the end of the day. No big deal but worth mentioning IMHO for other people like me who may be expecting to get through a full day of use and are not prepared with a charger.

I do have an app that I purchased for my Nexus 7 and have installed on the new N4 that shows best practice for battery life and provides a schedule for monthly battery drains to get below 20%. Hopefully this app will provide me with some extra time on charge.

Can't say it enough, this is one awesome device !!!

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Even though I ordered very late in the previous window of availability (December 14th) I got mine a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it. Like most others posting here my battery life significantly improved after a handful of cycles and I have no complaints now, especially with the ease of plopping it down on a wireless battery charger.

It's the first android device I've had that lets me take advantage of all it has to offer (e.g. large widgets and live wallpaper) and have it still run smoothly. That it will get every update ASAP once it's available is the great tasting icing on the cake! :)

I love the hand feel of it, and despite the risk am using it w/o bumper or case. I hope you keep having great experiences with yours for many many months and years to come! :)

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
That worked on batteries 10 years ago, but modern batteries actually get worse if you let them fully discharge like that.

It's bad to fully discharge all the time. However doing it once in a while can be beneficial as it recalibrates/resets the internal battery meter. If you suspect you are getting bad battery life doing this can help as it's possible the OS is not reading the internal meter correctly.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Congrats on your new N4! It's a great device and you'll love it more and more as time goes by. BTW don't listen to the nit pickers ans complainers on this forum.

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Had my phone since 11/20 and never had a random reboot. Apex slows down every few days and I restart it though. I've never had to reboot using the stock launched

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Had my phone since 11/20 and never had a random reboot. Apex slows down every few days and I restart it though. I've never had to reboot using the stock launched

you can just restart the Apex launcher. its in settings. dont have to restart the whole phone.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have read other posts that state the same and I am hopeful the battery will improve, it is definitely not a deal breaker for me even if it does not as the phone in all other ways is well worth all the goodness you get with it.

Agreed, I notice the Play store now is showing 2-3 weeks shipping estimate. So, it looks like they are still in stock and available at the moment and I hope they continue to be. I can't imagine anyone wanting something other than a pure Google Android device. I have owned several other carrier purchased Android phones as well as the Nexus One and this phone ROCKS!!

You will be in pur Google Android Jellybean Bliss :)

That is great battery life, I also feel the battery life will get better as the battery is used. On my iPhone 4 I was averaging 16+ hours with the level of use I put on it yesterday so getting less than 8 was a little disappointing. I just know I need to take my charger into the office with me today so that I still have some battery life at the end of the day. No big deal but worth mentioning IMHO for other people like me who may be expecting to get through a full day of use and are not prepared with a charger.

I do have an app that I purchased for my Nexus 7 and have installed on the new N4 that shows best practice for battery life and provides a schedule for monthly battery drains to get below 20%. Hopefully this app will provide me with some extra time on charge.

Can't say it enough, this is one awesome device !!!
What app is it that you're using?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My battery has been really great. I average 4-5 hrs on screen time every day. But I do toggle things as I need them. GPS will kill it fast so turn that off if you don't need it. Install Widgetsoid so you can get a simple power toggle widget installed that will allow you to turn things on and off very fast. When my screen is off my phone uses almost no power. I am always so surprised at how little it uses even after many hours.

Ian Watkinson

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
"I have set up several different iPhones through iTunes and the setup of the Nexus 4 was much easier and straight forward. "

How did you get all of your text messages from your old phone onto the nexus 4?

How are you backing it up?

having used both I see this as a major failing of android/google, as your phone doesn't get a full backup compared to ios (ignoring paid for/root requiring apps)

I call you out on this one sentence alone!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
"I have set up several different iPhones through iTunes and the setup of the Nexus 4 was much easier and straight forward. "

How did you get all of your text messages from your old phone onto the nexus 4?

How are you backing it up?

having used both I see this as a major failing of android/google, as your phone doesn't get a full backup compared to ios (ignoring paid for/root requiring apps)

I call you out on this one sentence alone!

carbon backup app. root not needed Carbon: the way Google should be doing backup on Android | Android Central

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie