How can I check if my device is refurbed?

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I received my Nexus 4 last Friday, and when I opened it up there were some packaging flaws that made me feel like the unit was refurbished instead of new.

A small tear on the cardboard tray that holds the phone. (upper portion near where the top of the phone would be)

But most disturbing was some highly noticeable scuffing on the the plastic screen protector. Scuffs were on two different parts of the screen face. I attributed that to maybe some shifting occurring in the box, but writing that now makes me realize how ridiculous that would be.

Also, there's plastic protection on the front and back, buy I didn't have any on the sides, as I've heard others describe.

Some forums had dialer codes to check if a phone was refurbed, but they don't work.

Another way was creating an activity shortcut to get to some RTN menu? But that doesn't work either. I feel like that method requires root.

Is there an app or a code that'll work to check factory reconditioned status?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have any plastic on the sides either. My front screen protector was very scuffed up.. I was scared to pull it back in fear that I'd see the marks had transfered to the glass.

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I mean I think everything was standard packaging?

That slip on cover part with the nexus on it

The black box. With two pieces of black tape holding it closed.

And then the phone inside on the tray, manual and charging stuff underneath. Micro SIM key too.

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I didn't have any plastic on the sides either. My front screen protector was very scuffed up.. I was scared to pull it back in fear that I'd see the marks had transfered to the glass.

Hrm, okay. Maybe it *is* a packaging flaw. Or maybe they don't see an issue sending out reconditioned units as new. (I'm not that big a stickler about that stuff, but at least make me feel like it's new you know? Without highly noticeable imperfections.)

As long as I have a standard warranty, I'm generally fine with refurbs.

I am curious though, to see if my feelings are right about whether it's not a brand spanking new device.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Hrm, okay. Maybe it *is* a packaging flaw. Or maybe they don't see an issue sending out reconditioned units as new. (I'm not that big a stickler about that stuff, but at least make me feel like it's new you know? Without highly noticeable imperfections.)

As long as I have a standard warranty, I'm generally fine with refurbs.

I am curious though, to see if my feelings are right about whether it's not a brand spanking new device.

I would just return it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
No. No cushioning. Could explain shifting, and thus scuffing. But this was a good amount of visible scuffing on the lower portion, in the middle, as well as a tiny amount on the top right screen area.

But there wasn't a ton of space in the brown box for it to really shift either. There would have to be pressure on the Nexus box itself too. Because I don't think the top of the black box directly rests on the phone screen when it's in its tray.

I'm not going to return it at this point. I wouldn't want to pay a restocking fee. Not to mention I've already switched services and don't want to be phoneless.

I'm mostly trying to see if my suspicions are correct about being given a reconditioned one as new. If I new for sure I might casually contact them to see what options exist.

The phone seems fine so far. So no real complaint.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
When they sent me a replacement phone for the bad power supply. when asked they said they were not sending a refurb and replacements they send are brand new.

Another way i imagine you can check is by looking at the serial number of the replacement unit... if will tell you month it was made as well as sequence number to give you an idea that it was really part of a recent batch?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Also, there's plastic protection on the front and back, buy I didn't have any on the sides, as I've heard others describe.

there wont be any plastic on the sides. it used to be there on review units send to Android forums but any consumer device dont have them. I didnt have it

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
So no flaws in the phone, just concerned with the packaging? Just enjoy ur new amazing device allready! I don't think ther. Are refurbs yet.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
checking my imei... my first phone was built 11/30/2012 and was the 156,163 phone built. my replacement was built 1/11/2013 and 509,289th phone.

Update...
just uploaded some songs into my phone and used the headset...
no crackle! and wow it sounds so much clearer than the first phone.
on top of the brighter screen and battery rocking...
I say it was worth the replacement.

So no flaws in the phone, just concerned with the packaging? Just enjoy ur new amazing device allready! I don't think ther. Are refurbs yet.

Last edited:

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I would just return it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

It's stuff like that that just aggravates me. There are waaay too many people that use and abuse the return policy here on all of these forums. Nexus 7 forum is the worst.

I mean, why return the phone if the plastic cover on the front of the phone had scuff/smear marks?

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Not gonna return this one. But I think my question was answered by the whole Google having a policy of not selling refurbs.
Still stands though that something is wrong with the packaging process.

I wish I still had the original screen protector to shoot a detailed shot of how it wasn't some light scuffing. I'm talking about it looking like a piece of sandpaper was rubbed at a medium level of pressure on a portion. Less so on another section.

Still need to check the number thing to see when mine was manufactured. Would be mostly just an interesting piece of info.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well it's googles fault if they set up an rma for scratches on a box lol.

Just like I think it's ridiculous google couldn't send me just a replacement charger and HAD TO send me a complete new phone if I wanted the replacement charger. I could have lived with the slight crackle in earphones and the 'eh' battery, etc. but now after experiencing the difference, I'm glad.

To the OP... My first and second phone didn't come with side protection. And as far as scuffs on front/back protectors... That's what they were designed for during manufacturing/shipping. As long as the phones ok, enjoy

It's stuff like that that just aggravates me. There are waaay too many people that use and abuse the return policy here on all of these forums. Nexus 7 forum is the worst.

I mean, why return the phone if the plastic cover on the front of the phone had scuff/smear marks?

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Well it's googles fault if they set up an rma for scratches on a box lol.

Just like I think it's ridiculous google couldn't send me just a replacement charger and HAD TO send me a complete new phone if I wanted the replacement charger. I could have lived with the slight crackle in earphones and the 'eh' battery, etc. but now after experiencing the difference, I'm glad.

To the OP... My first and second phone didn't come with side protection. And as far as scuffs on front/back protectors... That's what they were designed for during manufacturing/shipping. As long as the phones ok, enjoy

:O were ppl really RMAing for scratches on the box? Maybe I'm being blind to there concerns, and thinking mine was more legit. But my box, as well as a friends had scuffs on the slip on cardboard part, and we thought nothing of it. Like, that's some irrelevant cosmetic concern.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463