Nexus 4 8GB vs 16GB?

mcgowan398

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Im really thinking about getting the 8GB since its cheaper but Ive heard that it was a bad idea.
:thumbup::confused::thumbup::thumbdown:
I dont use a whole lot of apps but I have a lot of music and pictures so would the 8GB be good for me? :thumbup::thumbdown::thumbup: Ive also heard the Nexus 5 was coming soon so would it be smart to wait??

Noncon

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Not sure I would say it is a bad idea, but if you can afford it go with max memory.

Nexus 5 probably will be released in the fall, the N6 the fall after that, then N7 the fall after that. Why not wait for the N20?

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Despite what you'll hear, the 8Gb model is basically useless out of the box. In reality it has a little over 5GB available storage. For only $50 more save yourself the headaches of thinking twice of what to install and having to remove apps when you have reached the max. Also you can't run apps from cloud storage and it makes no sense to purchase OTG storage and wind up spending the total price of a 16GB model. When it comes to storage always purchase more than what you think you need. It's only $50 more and really a no brainer.

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on what you're using it for. If you use your N4 for music (well plan on it) then go for the 16gb. I don't use it for that purpose and truth is most apps really don't take up a whole lot of space so I got the 8gb and I'm perfectly fine with it. I disagree with the guy above me, if you don't need the space why waste 50 bucks? I recommend looking at your old phone and seeing what you've used.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jimrebello

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If it was me, I would spend the extra cash to get the 16gb. Even if you don't need it now, you will probably appreciate it later.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
For only 50$ more you double the storage...I say get the 16GB.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Unless you are a developer and just want to test apps, get the 16gb. It will also be easier to sell.

Sent from my Nexus 4

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Despite what you'll hear, the 8Gb model is basically useless out of the box. In reality it has a little over 5GB available storage. For only $50 more save yourself the headaches of thinking twice of what to install and having to remove apps when you have reached the max. Also you can't run apps from cloud storage and it makes no sense to purchase OTG storage and wind up spending the total price of a 16GB model. When it comes to storage always purchase more than what you think you need. It's only $50 more and really a no brainer.

Unfortunately no OTG on the Nexus 4 at least running stock. I can vouch for that as I won a Samsung Muse from Android Central and the phone sync function worked on the Galaxy Nexus I was selling but did not on the Nexus 4 I had just bought.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You'll get the most bang for your buck with the 16GB version versus the 8GB. Could you live with the 8GB version? Probably so. Just be sure to stay connected to the cloud and move files off the device whenever you can.

doug9000

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Stupid me I've been using a 8gig for 2 months and it was useless.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Depends how much you carry on your phone and how much you use cloud services to store photos. I'm using an 8gb Nexus 4 and have more then enough room for what I need while using Google drive for storing my photos. I don't put music on my phone or movies so its different for everyone. 8gb is enough for some people but not all.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I dont use a whole lot of apps but I have a lot of music and pictures so would the 8GB be good for me?
If you can effectively use cloud storage - and the Nexus 4 is built for that - then yes, the 8GB will more than suffice for your needs. With automatic uploads supported by Google Plus and Dropbox, this is a no-brainer. Cloud storage not only reduces your need for local storage, it also makes your files available everywhere on any device with an Internet connection.
Despite what you'll hear, the 8Gb model is basically useless out of the box. In reality it has a little over 5GB available storage.
Despite sounding related, the two sentences in the above quote have zero to do with each other. Yes, in reality you will have a little over 5GB available for storage. No, that does NOT make the 8GB model "useless." If you need the storage, or you are the type of person who gets worried about storage (whether for good reason or not), then fine, spend the extra $50 (+ tax) and get the 16 GB model. But if not, and you never use that space, you just basically wasted $50 + tax.
It will also be easier to sell.
This is actually the only legitimate argument for anyone who doesn't actually need more than 8 gigs of local storage to get the 16 gig model. Yes, the 16 GB model will be easier to sell; it will have better resale value. That, however, is only relevant if you actually plan to sell it in a window that will still have a relatively high price. I plan to keep my phone for two years or so, and I probably won't really sell it even after that and keep it as an extra device. The saving this device plus the T-mobile $30 Monthly4G plan gives me more than pays for a phone. :)

corpgator

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Since I bought 2 8gbs, that saved me $100. I had to get one for my wife or she was going to steal mine.

With the cloud as it is, you're crazy to pay $50 for just 8gb. You realize that's over $6 per gb right? That's crazy expensive If 8 isn't enough, then 16 isn't either. Stick with the 8gb for your apps and use the cloud if you need extra space.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
?40 for 8 extra gig of memory? What's it made from, gold? It doesn't appear the smartest Google selling a smart phone with so little memory. Given they have massive purchasing power and buy in literally millions of units of memory, with the knowledge they'll be buying millions more in the future, surely they can get the lowest price going, ditch the nonsense 8gig model and get real with the memory sizes.

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Go with the 16gb. That's double the memory for only $50 more. No brainer on that choice.

You're assuming (along with the author of that article) that your Nexus 4 is going to be used for games and music etc. Does everyone use their N4 for this purpose? I'd like to take a good guess and say no. I use my N4 for work purposes, do I game a lot? Not really. Is my music on a separate mp3 to leave in my car? Yes it's just easier when you're on the road and having your music separated from your work phone. I'm sure a couple, if not a few people on these forums fit into my profile. Save the $50 bucks you don't need to spend and use it on accessories...or better yet, save it to take your girl out to dinner. ;)

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
?40 for 8 extra gig of memory? What's it made from, gold? It doesn't appear the smartest Google selling a smart phone with so little memory. Given they have massive purchasing power and buy in literally millions of units of memory, with the knowledge they'll be buying millions more in the future, surely they can get the lowest price going, ditch the nonsense 8gig model and get real with the memory sizes.

Google doesn't want you to store stuff on your phone, that's the whole point of their cloud services.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey