Network indicator question

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So I've been playing around with my nexus, and I've noticed something odd. (Well, odd to me since I haven't used any of t-mobile's newest devices, or any HSPA+ devices in almost two years) What I'm seeing is the signal indicator bounce from 3G to H pretty frequently, even when I'm not using any apps. (Though there could be background processes) Is this normal for the nexus?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So I've been playing around with my nexus, and I've noticed something odd. (Well, odd to me since I haven't used any of t-mobile's newest devices, or any HSPA+ devices in almost two years) What I'm seeing is the signal indicator bounce from 3G to H pretty frequently, even when I'm not using any apps. (Though there could be background processes) Is this normal for the nexus?

Yes. If you want 4G LTE there is a hack. Google it lol but its a battery destroyer. Otherwise H (HSPA) is normal as the N4 is approved for that network.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes. If you want 4G LTE there is a hack. Google it lol but its a battery destroyer. Otherwise H (HSPA) is normal as the N4 is approved for that network.

Oops sorry. I meant, is it normal for it to be switching between 3G and H frequently?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Oops sorry. I meant, is it normal for it to be switching between 3G and H frequently?

Yeah I don't really understand how it chooses which network, but my phone constantly jumps back and forth between 3G and H. It's normal

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
the 3G is more of a data stand by, when its not consuming data or heavy amounts of data.
When it switches to H its in HSDPA+ mode for faster data. Remember there are lots of apps that update and sync in the background.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
the 3G is more of a data stand by, when its not consuming data or heavy amounts of data.
When it switches to H its in HSDPA+ mode for faster data. Remember there are lots of apps that update and sync in the background.

That's what I figured, but I wasn't 100% sure.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Do you actually see 3G next to your bars? I have only ever seen "H". I'm on AT&T. I've seen screen shots of people having "H+", don't know how they got that. Must be network specific. I have looked at my status screen and seen either HSPA:10 or HSPA+:15 in my Mobile Network Type section. But the "H" never changes up above.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you actually see 3G next to your bars? I have only ever seen "H". I'm on AT&T. I've seen screen shots of people having "H+", don't know how they got that. Must be network specific. I have looked at my status screen and seen either HSPA:10 or HSPA+:15 in my Mobile Network Type section. But the "H" never changes up above.

Must be a T-Mobile thing then. I went out exploring with some speed tests, and as soon as it starts pulling data it flips to H.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

H+ is only shown in custom roms, stock only shows H.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1