Battery life

t3roriz3r

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello, considering ordering a nexus 4 and keep reading so many different opinions on battery which is the only thing holding me back at the minute.

What are people's opinions on the battery? I would only be a moderate phone user over a 10-12 hour period.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That would be fine with my usage patterns. That is about how I use it and it lasts the entire time without issue. If I have heavier usage than 12 hours, I might need to plug in for 30 minutes or so in the car etc.

chealyjazz

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I would consider myself a similar user as yourself and on average I'm left with about 30℅ at the end of the day.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I once had 1 day 3 hrs on battery with 2 hr 12 min on screen, 1 hr 21 min on GPS(they drain battery like anything) with 13% remaining.

if my usage was less i usually get 2.5 hrs screen time with 1 hr on call and 2 days standby

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google play kills battery even if you pin the music you're listening to to the hard drive. I use the old android music player which I had to download from the app store. Hardly uses any battery

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm a moderate user and my phone usually has about 20% to 40% battery left at midnight when I plug in. The real question though, is how do you define moderate usage? For me, I never hesitate to use my phone for anything I might need. I'll Google Now an actors name, watch a movie trailer, use places to find a restaurant, check weather/radar, emails, TV schedule, take a picture, and I listen to audiobooks for about 3 to 5 hours a day as I go about my business. I also don't ever turn anything off on my phone (like GPS or wifi), and my screen brightness is at 50%. I don't have tons of emails or text every day, nor do I spend any time telling people that I just got a doughnut, tweeting (please read in valley girl accent) "OMG...this traffic sucks," or checking on my pretend virtual friends on facebook. I also don't stream movies on my phone (who wants to watch a good movie on 4 inches of real estate?), or spend a lot of time watching youtube videos. If you happen to like doing many of these things, then I wouldn't really call you a moderate user and would suggest that you might need a bump charge during the day.

I find this phone has the best battery life of any android device I've owned, but I believe a lot of that has to do with it not being an LTE device (LTE is a major battery killer). I'm sure something like the razor maxx would run longer between charges, but that's probably the only android phone that would, and I have no interest in owning a non Nexus device...ever. Downloading poorly written apps will kill your battery life faster than anything short of streaming video, but I don't have any of those apps, so I can't tell you which ones they are. Just pay attention to what you download and if you notice your battery dying quickly, remove your last couple of apps to see if it improves.

Overall, this is the best phone I've owned.

omgzam

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
My phone can't last a full day without charging by midday. It's largely due to prolonged usage of CloudAround whilst commuting to school/work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ErickMendez

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I am very heavy user with a lot of NFS Most Wanted , HD YouTube , Flipboard , Web Browsing .. about 3 hours of screen on time with 25-18%

Pure Google 4.2.1 Nexus 4

sjsmr2

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I generally use TuneIn Radio to stream a hockey game while I am at work. That is usually about 3 hours. Then usually another hour of streaming Google Music. With about 20 minutes in voice calls and some Google Talk I usually get home after 9 hours at work with 55%-60%. I am not complaining about battery life. But I will say that if I choose to watch a movie on Netflix my battery is usually close to 15% by the time I get home.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
here are some recent screen shots of mine.almost all on wifi. I'd say moderate/heavy usage. Browsing facebook , android central, flip board, internet and funny jokes app And about 1 hour of pandora. Lots of texting no phone calls.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360537236705.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360537236705.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360537254371.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360537254371.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 58

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360550196589.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360550196589.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 286
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360550216492.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360550216492.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 287

nexus4auir

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting 4+ hours of screen time, easy. Battery life is acceptable but I wouldn't call it "good" based on the other phones with much better longevity on the market atm.

I've disabled most syncs, location and GPS updates in the setting.

tennockey

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Battery life has been better than my iPhone 4S previously, which would have been "good" in my opinion. Battery standards have been a bit ruined since the RAZR Maxx and the Note 2 has awesome battery life. But compared to most smartphones, my Nexus 4 has been great. Yesterday I went from 9am to midnight, with a believe about 4 hours screen on time and I was at 15% when midnight rolled around.

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Honest, I've had to charge my phone multiple times every day.

It's the one thing I hate about this phone, so much so that I'm considering returning it.

Meleagru

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Most battery issues are software related, it's a shame they exist on such a phone but the upside is that there is something you can do about it. With basic battery management, your phone should last a whole day on a charge with moderate/light use. It's not a traveler's phone that's for sure.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Honest, I've had to charge my phone multiple times every day.

It's the one thing I hate about this phone, so much so that I'm considering returning it.

Yep I've had a lot of android phones and none have lasted a full day without needing a charge.and by full day I'm taking when I wake up about 1pm until u get home from work at about 215am. only phone that would last that whole time was the iPhone 4 and it would only gave about 20-30% left so I would still charge it at work.
If I wasn't on postpaid and was on a carrier I'd be all over the RAZR maxx. Although I feel even it would barely last as long as I want

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Are any of you guys that are having battery problems also running the Light Flow notifications app? If so, I'm wondering how your battery life might change if you remove it and try to survive one day without that app. It killed my battery...at least, I think that's what was doing it.

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yep I've had a lot of android phones and none have lasted a full day without needing a charge.and by full day I'm taking when I wake up about 1pm until u get home from work at about 215am. only phone that would last that whole time was the iPhone 4 and it would only gave about 20-30% left so I would still charge it at work.
If I wasn't on postpaid and was on a carrier I'd be all over the RAZR maxx. Although I feel even it would barely last as long as I want

Give the Note 2 a try... That lasted me two days without a charge. Easy.

I'm a pretty heavy user too.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Give the Note 2 a try... That lasted me two days without a charge. Easy.

I'm a pretty heavy user too.

From the time I wake up till the time I get back home from work if need about 6 hours screen on time. Which I've seen the maxx can do. And I've seen a lot of people with 5+ with the note 2. I had the original note and didn't care for its size much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay