I LOVED the Nexus 4, but returning to iPhones for now...

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and my 15 months old iPhone just got another update - on the day the update was released. My Verizon "Nexus" is still waiting for JB 4.2 that was released in November.

That's Verizon's fault, not Android. If you disagree, get the Nexus 4 on AT&T or T-Mobile and see how different it is and will be. Again, if all of those apps you use work better on Apple products, that's great. Buy Apple. Galaxy Nexus was a failure. A lot of Android devices are. So for your happiness and better sleep at night, keep comparing low end or failed Android devices to the best that Apple has to offer. If you ever want a shock of your lifetime, try the Droid DNA, S3, Note 2, Nexus 4, or other top Android devices. That's where the fair comparisons exist.

chadderbox

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Have to respect the OP point of view. I have both a Galaxy Tab 2 and an iPad as well as an iPhone 4S and a Note 2. Love all my devices and am constantly switching or playing with a different one at any given time. They all have their pros and cons and I would never bash any of them.

All the OP is doing is giving a story about his experience with the Nexus 4. I don't understand why some people can't except that there's more than one good product out there and have to be so one sided. Is everything in your lives black and white? I get many Android fans don't like iOS, and that's fine as there is no right or wrong answer its a matter of personal preference and what works best for that individual.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I use both an GNex and iPhone 4s and like to switch between them every few weeks. I have to say that Android has come a long way with phone apps, but as you point out there are always a few differences.

As great as it is to customize by Nexus with Go Launcher, and set up widgets, its not something I'm going to ask my mother to do. She panics at the thought of updating an app. Its also much easier to have the whole family using the same interface. Unfortunately, every android maker has a different one, not to mention launchers. I've used Moto Droids since 2009 and my GNex for a year, but I still can't figure out my wife's Droid Incredible 2 UI - Is HTC making their phones hard to use on purpose.

As far as interoperability outside their ecosystem, anyone that thinks that Android has the advantage needs to open their eyes.
- Apple's BT is compatible with more devices than almost any other phone.
- Most cars now have Apple USB interfaces - that won't work work with Android.
- My Apple TV was easier to set up with my Vizio and Samsung TVs than any other device I've used.
- I buy all my music from Amazon which has a very easy way to load it all automatically into iTunes - Android's got nothing to compare
- DirecTV streams and downloads to my iPad and iPhone - not Android
- my Fitbit BT syncs with my iPhone, not to any Android phone.

Based on all these experiences, I've found its actually Android that's in a walled garden.

Oh, and my 15 months old iPhone just got another update - on the day the update was released. My Verizon "Nexus" is still waiting for JB 4.2 that was released in November.

Wait... what?

- I don't know about the BT thing, but see my post above about cars. That's the manufacturers' doing, not Android's.
- Your Apple TV was easier to set up than a blu-ray player (plug in HDMI cable, done)? Ok... and has nothing to do with Android or phones.
- Um, Amazon is heavily invested in Android. You can't buy Amazon MP3s through an app on iOS, unless you use Safari (but you can on Android!). You can import music into iTunes with Amazon's desktop MP3 downloader, but you can do that with Google Music, too: download your music, then consolidate your library in iTunes. Done. And Google Music will automatically upload any music you buy in iTunes, no extra step required. I use all three.
- DirectTV only streaming to iOS is, again, not the fault of Android but rather DirectTV. Time Warner, for example, does offer streaming on Android.
- Really? FitBit won't sync with Android?
- Your iPhone getting an update before your GNex is entirely Verizon's fault. Verizon wouldn't dare meddle with Apple's updates, lest the 800lb gorilla throw a temper tantrum. Google does not have that level of clout for whatever reason, so updates get delayed. This is just one reason why there is no Nexus 4 on Verizon.

You're confusing "walled garden" with "less support." Big difference.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting how these threads get so polarized. Personally, I thank Steve Jobs and Apple for the iPhone. It was the proverbial model T of the smart phone world.

Apple still owns the out of the box user experience. Everything works (new maps still has a ways to go) on the phone, and "everything" works with the phone. The "closed" ecosystem offers significantly more choice in hardware and software add-ons. And for the most part, these offer better design than any available Android counterparts.

So why use Android? For me it is mostly:

Unlocked and off contract.

Open file system.

Better interface.

But I am frustrated that Google has borked bluetooth, and that many core apps have inexplicably missing features, and much of what "should be in there" is simply AWOL.

While most of this can be worked around by those that wish to constantly fiddle with their phone (me included), it doesn't take courage (that comment was laughable). It takes time. Time many smart phone users would rather spend using their phones rather than tinkering with them.

This type of user is not stupid, sheeply, or blind. They simply have better things to do with their time than constantly monkeying with a tool they bought so they can be more productive in the first place.

There are simply two mindsets here. Some folks by a car to drive. Others buy one to make a hobby out of customizing. I wouldn't classify either one of them as being less savvy, courageous, energetic, etc. They just have different priorities in life.

Android has made herculean strides in the last year or two, but still lacks much of the polish and ecosystem of iOS. I am of course hopeful that things will continue to improve, but I am not so stubborn in my decision to go with Android that I can't be objective about what the other guy does far better. Blindly recommending one platform over the other does more a disservice to the recommendee than anything else.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Interesting how these threads get so polarized. Personally, I thank Steve Jobs and Apple for the iPhone. It was the proverbial model T of the smart phone world.

Apple still owns the out of the box user experience. Everything works (new maps still has a ways to go) on the phone, and "everything" works with the phone. The "closed" ecosystem offers significantly more choice in hardware and software add-ons. And for the most part, these offer better design than any available Android counterparts.

So why use Android? For me it is mostly:

Unlocked and off contract.

Open file system.

Better interface.

But I am frustrated that Google has borked bluetooth, and that many core apps have inexplicably missing features, and much of what "should be in there" is simply AWOL.

While most of this can be worked around by those that wish to constantly fiddle with their phone (me included), it doesn't take courage (that comment was laughable). It takes time. Time many smart phone users would rather spend using their phones rather than tinkering with them.

This type of user is not stupid, sheeply, or blind. They simply have better things to do with their time than constantly monkeying with a tool they bought so they can be more productive in the first place.

There are simply two mindsets here. Some folks by a car to drive. Others buy one to make a hobby out of customizing. I wouldn't classify either one of them as being less savvy, courageous, energetic, etc. They just have different priorities in life.

Android has made herculean strides in the last year or two, but still lacks much of the polish and ecosystem of iOS. I am of course hopeful that things will continue to improve, but I am not so stubborn in my decision to go with Android that I can't be objective about what the other guy does far better. Blindly recommending one platform over the other does more a disservice to the recommendee than anything else.

Considering Jellybean is just as smooth as iOS which many Android users will agree with and the fact that millions of people prefer Androids ecosystem over iOS's and more are leaving iOS because of it that part of your post is inaccurate.

But you're right that threads like these can get quite out of hand.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Considering Jellybean is just as smooth as iOS which many Android users will agree with and the fact that millions of people prefer Androids ecosystem over iOS's and more are leaving iOS because of it that part of your post is inaccurate.
You quoted my entire post. Just what part of it do you feel is inaccurate?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I will take these "disadvantages" if it means I'm free to use what I like. I see nothing that is worth being locked into ONE company and whatever they tell me I need.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
And thats your opinion I dont mind if im locked down in a company as long as everything works together. I should point out I dont have an iPhone I have a nexus 4

kylep23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I hated and eventually sold my iPhone 5 because of the incessant buzzing from people texting me and emailing me while I'm in call. Android lets you turn off in call notifications. Apple, not so much.

Sent from my SCH-i605 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool