Solution to the rattling issue! And it's not the camera!

rents78

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to a Spanish Nexus 4, we now know what caused the rattling.
It has nothing to do with the camera autofocus. This is funny cause I read so many comments from people who could swear it was due to that.

It's a small metallic part piston that is used to remove the sim tray.
Try pushing that thing in, as if you were going to remove the sim, but keep it pushed in. Shake your phone. No rattling.

The guy explains how to fix this
Solucionar Sonido de Nexus 4 - YouTube

Again, how do you call the above, if not "poor quality" control in place at some of the factories?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for pointing out what the problem is.

I can't jump on the "poor quality control" bandwagon though. If they made those tolerances any tighter, and nobody could obsessively find ways to nit-pick what's wrong, then you'd just have a bunch of threads about how no one can remove the SIM card tray because it's too tight. Sometimes, with some people, there's just no winning.

The phone is perfect enough for me.

rents78

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
While I agree that we can all live with that rattling sound, you cannot deny it is not due to bad quality build.

Unfortunately mine has also the buzzing sound, which again I can live with. And a static sound when making a phone call. This static sound is quite annoying.
Thought it was due to bad reception, but I cannot hear a single sound from an old iPhone or a 20 pound alcatel phone...

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Again, how do you call the above, if not "poor quality" control in place at some of the factories?
It's possible that everything was built to spec, but the specs were too sloppy to make a product that wouldn't result in having some of the units rattling. If you want a nice, tightly made assembly, you need tight design tolerances and you need your manufacturers to be able to meet them. This can be expensive. Looser tolerances can enable cheaper, faster processes and materials. Tighter product, tighter specs, more expensive processes and materials.

By the way, my phone doesn't rattle at all. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa