Network connection symbols

paul155

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
I have recently purchased the Nexus 4 (direct through the play store) after coming from the iphone. I have been trying to find out what the different network connection symbols are - but with no luck.

When not attached to wifi, the "blue connection bars" on the top right of the phone have a letter next to them - I assuming that the letter relates to the type of connection you are on, but I can't find anything to say what these are.

Sometimes there is a G = Does this mean I am on 3G? (I have never seen a 3G symbol as iOS used to show)
Sometimes there is a H.

Probably a very simple question for most of you - but any input would be greatly received!

Thanks
Oh, and I am in the UK and am on the o2 network.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
H=hspa 4g E=edge2g G GPRS 1g. On my iPhone GPRS symbol was a ?
Which begs the question, what does "3G" mean? (picked that up over the weekend while traveling in the Ft. Lauderdale area)

[edit]Guessing maybe I was roaming on AT&T and that's their indicator for HSPA, since they don't want to label anything less than LTE as 4g?

Mark Brough

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear you are in the UK Paul. Because I am on Talkmobile in the UK, and I cannot connect to 3G either. I live in the centre of Bristol and I ought to be able to get 3G. I have seen the symbol "3G"appear very briefly just twice, so I know the N4 notification bar is capable of displaying it. I am becoming fearful that Google have supplied a version that is not compatible with UK standards.
"3G" means UMTS; "H" means HSPDA, aka 3.5G; "G" means GPRS, which was "2G"; and "E" means EDGE, aka 2.5G.

Update: I got consistent "H" in a rural location (but still never in my city centre), yielding 2.2Mbps on N4 according to Speedtest.net.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Which begs the question, what does "3G" mean? (picked that up over the weekend while traveling in the Ft. Lauderdale area)

[edit]Guessing maybe I was roaming on AT&T and that's their indicator for HSPA, since they don't want to label anything less than LTE as 4g?
3G is 3G.

1g GPRS - G
2g EDGE - E
3G 3G - 3G
4g HSPA+ - H
4g LTE dont exist in Nexus 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv