Popped your Google Wallet cherry at retail setting yet? I did today, and it was interesting.

squirrelproductions

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
As recommended by others, I had launched Google Wallet and entered my pin before starting the transaction. I also verified with the cashier at the Walgreens that the machine/reader was working. I placed my Nexus 4 on the reader, and followed the reader prompts. The first attempt actually failed; cashier mentioned that error looked like a bad pin was entered although I didn't see error message on Google Wallet app (Tonight, while typing up this post, I tried purposely entering the wrong pin to see what error message looks like; I didn't see that error message during my transaction). I had to redo the whole transaction: place N4 on reader, follow prompts etc.. The second attempt went through fine.

I think that the reason the first transaction attempt failed was due to security on my credit card. I got a text from credit card company in between my first and second attempts to verify that the transaction was valid and not fraudulent. I got an automated call about 15 minutes later since I did not respond to the text at time.

Will try again next time opportunity presents itself and report results here.

Where I can see potentially using this is when I'm biking around and don't want to worry about dropping/losing my wallet. If I need to stop by the Walgreens to pick up something while out biking, I do have a viable payment option through my N4.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
So far I've found the reliability to be hit or miss. Most of the time it works; sometimes it doesn't. After a failed attempt or two to pay at McDonald's, I learned to have my credit card handy so if the NFC payment fails, I can quickly pay without digging my credit card out. It seems to me that whenever it hasn't worked I have a poor data connection, although I was under the impression that Wallet was designed to work without data.

I have a Nexus 4 with T-Mobile service.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Congrats! I have used it a few times. I guess once you turn on your phone (I power down every night) you can see gw initialize. They say you do not even have to open the app if you have your default card selected. Have not tried it on my nexus 7 where they say you do not even need wifi at the time of transaction.

Overall a cool experience. Can't wait for more readers to start popping up. I was down in Austin, TX last week and they have those readers everywhere as a test market for ISIS. They told me that google wallet works also, but I was carrying my note 2. One thing that kind of bugs me is you cannot delete the transaction from the app. I am kind of OCD about clearing stuff like that so I am not to keen on having all these transactions that I cannot delete. Maybe they will add that in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Last edited:

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I use it all the time! When I go for my runs and don't have my wallet I use Google Wallet to pay for my smoothie at Jamba Juice, or my water at Walgreens. Its very conveinent.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I use google wallet daily on my nexus 4. Love it. Super convenient. I actually got airport police called on me while using it at the airport. The cashier was convinced I was scamming her. I explained and she didn't get it and was quite accusatory about it. PD came and I was cleared immediately. Ended up getting all the goods for free from the manager. Nobody explained the touch to pay option on their POS to this cashier.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit I have not used Google wallet yet but I will set it up and use it soon. I need to start using android to the fullest!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I never remember to look for the opportunities to use it! Probably because I'm old and set in my ways. Must.try.to.remember...

johnp888

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I use google wallet daily on my nexus 4. Love it. Super convenient. I actually got airport police called on me while using it at the airport. The cashier was convinced I was scamming her. I explained and she didn't get it and was quite accusatory about it. PD came and I was cleared immediately. Ended up getting all the goods for free from the manager. Nobody explained the touch to pay option on their POS to this cashier.

I agree, most places just buy the POS system with the nfc terminal but never bother to have cashiers trained. Most are shocked that I can pay with my N4. Only met one cashier who knew what nfc was :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

hellomiggy

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I was at CVS Pharmacy getting some meds for my girlfriend. I got my stuff and you know I was behind someone, I was already playing with my phone. So I just decided to use it for the purchase. Input my code and you know wait for the lady to tell me the amount. I use it and it went through like butter.. even a receipt came out on the screen. I felt cool! The guy behind me I guess he was on his lunch break saw me using my phone for the purchase and when the receipt popped up on the phone. I saw his reaction like "what the f just happened?" I still need to find more places with PayPass. I would do it again, I just forget sometimes.

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've used it about seven times at a Sunoco near me and another time at a Champs and Sunoco in another state. All flawless thus far!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
From the how purchases work section of the app (in the menu) it says you don't need to wake your phone or open the app. Just touch and you're done. Then it says, if prompted, enter your code. My problem with this is that the "learn more" link says that PIN use is enforced which prevents theives from using your Wallet. So, which is it? It always asks or maybe it will ask?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

royalpig180

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I used mine at a Walgreens today. Didn't realize that I had to tell the pay pass terminal it was a credit card regardless of what kind of card I have linked to my account, but other than that, it worked smoothly.

Sent from my Nexus 4

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Just used it at McDonalds. First one denied. Cashier said to re-tap and it worked. Something better about using you phone to cover $3.00 than pulling out a credit card, even though it's the exact same in my case. Definite +1.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

kylep23

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I used mine at my carwash. Went through hoops to get around the VZW block of it. Now its back to not supported on my phone.

Sent from my SCH-i605 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18