i have nexus 4 but iphone is better

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
From one of the OP's articles:

"The iPhone and iPad do keep a copy of the encryption key deeper in flash memory?otherwise there would be no way for the device to recover data when it was turned back on. But that encryption key is itself protected by the user?s ?PIN lock,? a code that must be entered before the device can be used."

I don't care if the iPhone uses AES- if someone forgets to (or never bothers to) use PIN lock, it is possible to find the iPhone's private key- which would render the encryption useless. There is always a security workaround, security is really about adding layers upon layers to make it cost prohibitive relative to the data gained by cracking it.

If you really needed high levels of security at work, your employer would prevent any mobile devices from coming in the building.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep, been talking about this since yesterday or so. Hilariously ironic that I stumbled onto this shortly after first reading this thread.

thisfnguy

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for all the helpful advice, I really do appreciate it. I do love my nexus 4. The title was really meant to draw people in more than declare the iPhone as the superior phone. At the time of the original post i was frustrated over the level of security provided. I simply hope android can implement a security system better, or at least on par with iPhone.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
It is on par or better given that we can get around it on iphones and you can encrypt your android device I think you need to do less biased research and start finding instructions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

c1284870

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
you may need encryption for your phone not because you are working for the security services but because thieves and criminals are getting more and more high-tech. All the average crook has to do is pick your phone and then just connect it to his computer, click on the big red button and let software dump your photos, documents and messages in which he will look for sensitive information which could lead to identity theft and such.

of course the government could subpoena google or dropbox for your files (even if you encrypt your phone) but that's a different thread model.

wouldn't it be better if you only have to worry about the latter but not the former?

btw, has anyone tested a nexus 4 with and without encryption in terms of performance and battery life? I'm looking for something like cf-bench numbers and not "user experience feeling".

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I dunno, guys... maybe we should start up an iPhone Appreciation Thread here, just to give our resident trolls friends from Cupertino some place to dedicate their efforts... or somewhere for the rest of us? to, uh, have a bit of fun. ;)

Njshoregurl

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Not caring lol either way you accesd internet, Facebook, anywhere your name always pops up

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums