How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life

androidballer

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I got my nexus 4 last Wednesday. I have had it for about a week. I am coming from an iPhone 4. I love this phone, besides a few quirks with the silent/sound mode, I love the operating system. The only thing that bothers me is the crappy battery life. I am always worried if it is going to run out of battery the way I use it, so have to use it sparingly. Doing nothing it keeps draining battery. How do you guys manage to use your device?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off LTE, WIFI, GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot. Toggle on as needed.
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
3. Sign out of Google Latitude, GTalk, G+, Google Now, and Messenger. Disable Location Reporting/History.
4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.
5. Turn off keyboard haptic feedback.
6. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use dark wallpaper if possible.
7. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
8. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
9. Turn off vibrate for Emails.
10. Be careful of using too many live widgets.
11. Sync Exchange Emails 30 Days or less.
12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This is how i am coping. 2 hrs 7 min on screen + over 1 hr on phone calls with 1 day 6 hrs standby time.
I am getting good battery life
Screenshot_2013-02-14-12-20-41.png

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I get really good battery life here. One tip I would recommend is going into Google Now and disable a lot of the location settings. Also I disabled the Latitude/Google Maps updating my location. Battery life improved 3 fold for me after that. Good luck! :)

boparunsxc

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
2 hours of screen time with consistent use throughout the day. Considering the hardware that the battery has to power, I'm pretty pleased.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360866637199.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360866637199.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 743

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I hate shutting all the features on my phones in order to stretch out battery life. It's a pain to remember to turn Bluetooth on before I get in my car, turn it off after, etc etc. What do I do? I leave everything on. Everything: gps, nfc, bluetooth, wifi, you name it, it's on. I have wireless chargers at work and at home. I find my battery will last for about 20 hours on a typical day if for some reason I don't get to charge it, which is fine because I'll always be able to charge it at night.

All I make sure to do is keep an eye on battery life whenever I install new apps, and if I see one misbehaving it is UNINSTALLED. Other than that, I never worry about battery life, and I keep everything going all the time. I'd rather just make it a habit to charge regularly (and wireless chargers make that easy) than always figuring out what to shut off in order to eke out another 2 hours.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I got my nexus 4 last Wednesday. I have had it for about a week. I am coming from an iPhone 4. I love this phone, besides a few quirks with the silent/sound mode, I love the operating system. The only thing that bothers me is the crappy battery life. I am always worried if it is going to run out of battery the way I use it, so have to use it sparingly. Doing nothing it keeps draining battery. How do you guys manage to use your device?

In my experience I found the single most important thing is to greatly reduce the screen brightness. Because of the backlight on this thing it seems to be able to handle much lower brightness settings and still be very usable. I have mine set around 10% for example. On my old iP4s, this would have made the phone basically unusable / unreadable. But on the N4 I don't feel like it's a sacrifice at all (indoors anyway). Its still plenty bright at that setting.

A more radical option is to root the device and under clock the CPU. People with more knowledge than me about this process can chime in as to how well this works. I have just rooted myself and will be looking into this option to see if it helps. Good luck!

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Battery Tips for Android

2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
3. Sign out of Google Latitude, GTalk, G+, Google Now, and Messenger. Disable Location Reporting/History.
4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.

That's pretty extreme. What's the point of having a smartphone then?

Yeah, the battery is terrible, but it's like most smartphones. I have a car charger and a home charger. I charge it accordingly. That's how I handle it.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what the OP is talking about but I am getting 18-24 hours of life and that's fine with me.

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

The phone works fine, zero battery issues. People that do have problems aren't looking at apps and settings. The phone has great battery life.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on what phone you come from. My experience people with " great " battery life came from a phone with crappy battery life. That said, I have to purposely use it less than my old phone. I always keep brightness down on all my devices. Car charger. Charger at work. Nothing fancy but I do miss being able to just swap batteries out on the go.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
That's pretty extreme. What's the point of having a smartphone then?

Yeah, the battery is terrible, but it's like most smartphones. I have a car charger and a home charger. I charge it accordingly. That's how I handle it.
These are all suggestions and naturally you adjust accordingly to your most important needs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
The battery on the Nexus is AWFUL - even with rooting. I just got an HTC One X and had the brightness maxed and got about double the screen on time as I can get with the Nexus (without brightness being maxed). It's so confusing. You'd think the One X with LTE and all the Sense bloat on it would just chew through battery, but it doesn't compared to the Nexus. And the Nexus has an additional 300 mah of battery in it!

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The battery on the Nexus is AWFUL - even with rooting. I just got an HTC One X and had the brightness maxed and got about double the screen on time as I can get with the Nexus (without brightness being maxed). It's so confusing. You'd think the One X with LTE and all the Sense bloat on it would just chew through battery, but it doesn't compared to the Nexus. And the Nexus has an additional 300 mah of battery in it!

User error

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site

Battery Tips for Android

Lol the letters OCD keep flashing in front of me. No offense to you personally, but that's a whole lot that you shouldn't have to do in the first place. May even be detrimental to someone's usage.

bigkevbosky

May 10, 2011
Visit site
User error

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah dude, user error. I've owned an HTC Inspire, HTC One X, Dell Streak, Dell Venue, Pantech Burst, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 4, and the Nexus 4 has the worst battery life of all of them.

[removed by moderator]

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Lol the letters OCD keep flashing in front of me. No offense to you personally, but that's a whole lot that you shouldn't have to do in the first place. May even be detrimental to someone's usage.

As I said in an earlier post. These are merely common suggestions to improve battery life. Nobody is saying that you have to do all of this but its areas you should consider looking at to improve battery life. Even eliminating or cutting down the amount of email/social media polling can greatly improve battery life.

My wife was a victim to poor battery life in her early days of Android. She had to have everything polling and updating constantly so she didn't miss a thing. After she finally took my advice to change the polling/updating times from every 5 or 10 mins to 15 or 30 mins, etc her battery life improved greatly and she also realized that she wasn't really missing out on anything by not checking as often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy