How are you guys coping with the crappy battery life

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah dude, user error. I've owned an HTC Inspire, HTC One X, Dell Streak, Dell Venue, Pantech Burst, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus, and Nexus 4, and the Nexus 4 has the worst battery life of all of them.

[removed by moderator]

Owning and understanding are two different monsters just because you root doesn't mean you know what you're doing. I'm willing to bet I could find problems in all of your phones battery statistics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
These are all suggestions and naturally you adjust accordingly to your most important needs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Right. I completely understand that. Sounds like he needs to adjust back to a flip phone. just a natural, reasonable opinion, based off of my 'research' of his post.

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Owning and understanding are two different monsters just because you root doesn't mean you know what you're doing. I'm willing to bet I could find problems in all of your phones battery statistics.

dude, managing your battery isn't a science or an art form. it's not something you need to get a college education for.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
dude, managing your battery isn't a science or an art form. it's not something you need to get a college education for.

Actually it can be close to a science. Google wakelocks. That's 85% of most of your guys battery issues. I bet money I can tell you if you have problems just by looking at a battery graph that looks like this

( note this is an old example from an early test so no you can't use this to gauge anything.)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360879273534.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360879273534.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 68

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Easy swapped my sim to my S3. Think I'm going to to sell the nexus 4 because of lack of removable battery and memory.

Sent via Tapatalk

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
2hours of screen on time is pretty bad. I consider 5 hours or more good battery life. No point in comparing standby time either, what good is a phone if your not using it to conserve battery?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

raycer1

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off LTE, WIFI, GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot. Toggle on as needed.
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
3. Sign out of Google Latitude, GTalk, G+, Google Now, and Messenger. Disable Location Reporting/History.
4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.
5. Turn off keyboard haptic feedback.
6. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use dark wallpaper if possible.
7. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
8. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
9. Turn off vibrate for Emails.
10. Be careful of using too many live widgets.
11. Sync Exchange Emails 30 Days or less.
12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.

If I had to do all this, I would just throw my phone of a cliff .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
That's pretty extreme. What's the point of having a smartphone then?

Yeah, the battery is terrible, but it's like most smartphones. I have a car charger and a home charger. I charge it accordingly. That's how I handle it.

nothing extreme about it. my smartphone works just fine. i simply turn off things i am not using anyway. like i said - i suffer no hardships.

- - - Updated - - -

If I had to do all this, I would just throw my phone of a cliff .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

that's silly.

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Lol the letters OCD keep flashing in front of me. No offense to you personally, but that's a whole lot that you shouldn't have to do in the first place. May even be detrimental to someone's usage.

what exactly is detrimental? how am i suffering? what am i missing?

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
This is where I'm at right now and that's pretty darn good if you ask me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360903558895.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360903558895.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 58

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off LTE, WIFI, GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot. Toggle on as needed.
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum.
3. Sign out of Google Latitude, GTalk, G+, Google Now, and Messenger. Disable Location Reporting/History.
4. Beware of constantly syncing Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, News, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more.
5. Turn off keyboard haptic feedback.
6. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use dark wallpaper if possible.
7. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
8. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
9. Turn off vibrate for Emails.
10. Be careful of using too many live widgets.
11. Sync Exchange Emails 30 Days or less.
12. Do NOT use a Task Killer App.

Wow. Really? No offense but doing all those things will definitely hinder the whole experience of the phone. Some of those things make sense and aren't a big deal but like someone else said... If I did all that I wouldnt want to use the phone.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I consistently get 4-5 hrs of on screen time with heavy usage. Games will kill it much faster but right now I am at 15hrs+ with just about 3hrs screen time and I still have 36% left. I can make it through a fully day easily.

But I toggle things off when I don't need them unless I am on wifi.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I think average battery life is around 3hrs screen on time on 3g only and 4hrs+ on wifi. So many things play into battery life u can hardly compare one persons to a different persons. I get a little better life than I did on my previous couple phones (note, razr). To me its average. Not good not great. I don't understand where people get the idea that just because a new phone came out it will have amazing battery life. Get a RAZR maxx or something that can accept an extended battery.

Chimpware

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I had pretty terrible battery life, but when I looked into it it was being caused by Notes Traveler for Lotus Notes. I changed the synch from continuous to every 15 minutes and that gave me a 50% improvement in the battery life. If anyone has Notes Traveler take a look at the synch settings. Also shows how one app trying to synch continuously can cause a significant issue. Had normal use yesterday and ran for 16 hours with 3 hours screen time and had 25% left when I put it back on the charger. Not stupendous battery life, but very useable now.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty extreme. What's the point of having a smartphone then?

Yeah, the battery is terrible, but it's like most smartphones. I have a car charger and a home charger. I charge it accordingly. That's how I handle it.

That is an extreme list. So don't do them all.
Just turning off Bluetooth and turning down brightness will make a huge difference.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I had pretty terrible battery life, but when I looked into it it was being caused by Notes Traveler for Lotus Notes. I changed the synch from continuous to every 15 minutes and that gave me a 50% improvement in the battery life. If anyone has Notes Traveler take a look at the synch settings. Also shows how one app trying to synch continuously can cause a significant issue. Had normal use yesterday and ran for 16 hours with 3 hours screen time and had 25% left when I put it back on the charger. Not stupendous battery life, but very useable now.

Thanks for the tip. But don't worry, no one has this "Lotus Notes" you speak of.

shkim698

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
All I do is turn off the auto brightness, never push notification on any apps like gmail, facebook and etc ( I check my gmail and facebook whenever i NEED to, not constantly getting how many people like my comments or photos), bluetooth off (never really use it, what is really the point of bluetooth now?) & normal background picture (why live background when it is just a background photo). Battery life is good even with these minimum settings altered.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463