4.2.2 and battery life

Ladeef

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: It improve the battery life significantly

battery life improved largely, now I'm sitting on 15hrs with 36% screen time and am at 43% battery. Couldn't be happier.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yep big improvement here. I would normally be 25% or less after lunch at work which equal ts to about 10hours off charger and 2hours of screen on time. Now I'm at 55% and about 1hr 45mins of screen on time in the same period

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why I keep repeating myself here; I feel like a broken record. Turn off auto-rotation and you'll see a significant jump in battery runtime.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why I keep repeating myself here; I feel like a broken record. Turn off auto-rotation and you'll see a significant jump in battery runtime.

Downloading the auto rotate off when the screen is off app and also turning auto rotate completely off did nothing for me.

dafe01

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that iOS has done better (though this is a relative statement what with the debacle that was iOS 5 and maybe even iOS 6) is to be a good automatic manager of power consumption on the device. I can remember the iPhone 4s (not the 4S) going up to a week between charges. The 4S was always a power hog, though I understand it got better with successive releases of iOS 5. I haven't heard very much about iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 because, honestly, almost all of the people I know either have iPhone 4s, 4Ss, or Android devices.

I agree with this statement having been an iPhone 4 user until a couple of weeks ago (now n4 user), love my new phone just need to address poor battery life which I have to say is quite shocking.

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site

That's interesting. First time I have heard of this. Will give it a go. I actually dislike the auto-rotation, but never bothered to turn it off :)

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this statement having been an iPhone 4 user until a couple of weeks ago (now n4 user), love my new phone just need to address poor battery life which I have to say is quite shocking.

In general, Android phones have had worse runtimes than their iPhone counterparts. The kind of offsetting factors have been that a given manufacturer will give you a larger battery or a given device just wasn't a power hog. Notwithstanding how mainstream they have become since 2010, they have been a more enthusiast-oriented device, and that means it's kind of expected that the owner will want to tinker with it (alter settings, root it, etc.)

Shutting down anything you're not using, keeping the screen's brightness managed, short times before idle/standby, and the like have always been the key to getting the maximum amount of runtime out of an Android-based phone. And frankly the N4 is nowhere near the power hog that my EVO was. I *had* to buy an extended-capacity battery for it because no settings adjustment or recompiled ROM could give me more than about 8 - 10 hours of life.

Of course, the trade-off you make in giving up your freedom physically and legally on an iPhone can be a bitter pill for a lot of people.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed a significant improvement since I got 4.2.2 a day or so ago. Before then the OS was always the top battery hog and I would go from 100% to 60% over night while I (and the phone) was asleep.
Checked today and the phone has been 12 hours 34 minutes since it's last charge and the battery is on 93%!!! The OS, which used to pretty much always hog the top spot in battery usage at around 50% has now dropped to 5th place and a more realistic 11%.

Good job Google.

17veen

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I too have noticed a good improvement on battery life. The android OS takes a lot less battery now. Plus the standby drainage has also improved.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I too have noticed a good improvement on battery life. The android OS takes a lot less battery now. Plus the standby drainage has also improved.

Yeah same here. Seems like when the phone is idle (screen off) it's very little battery drain. I used to put my phone into airplane mode at night to save battery, now I don't bother since it's basically just trickle drain when doing nothing.

royalpig180

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

This might be a silly question, but is there a way to manually rotate the screen in a basic app like, say, chrome, which supports portrait and landscape modes, if you've disabled auto - rotate?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Fearless Freep

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen a radical difference. It seems like these 'battery life' threads come out every time there's an update. Kind of like the 'everything seems snappier' threads. If they tweaked something, great, but chances are the update didn't do a whole lot. So much of it depends on how you use your phone, what processes you have running, etc.

royalpig180

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen a radical difference. It seems like these 'battery life' threads come out every time there's an update. Kind of like the 'everything seems snappier' threads. If they tweaked something, great, but chances are the update didn't do a whole lot. So much of it depends on how you use your phone, what processes you have running, etc.

Normally I'd tend to agree with you, but in this case they do seem to have fixed several bugs that at least help the battery life while at idle (screen off)...

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Its surprisingly better! Usually my n4 is dead by 2pm because I play Bike Race every second I'm not working, lol. My battery was at 42% today.

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The battery life is certainly better than it was before the update. I'm at 53% with total time of 9 hours and 2 hours screen time - lots of app installing too.

SHADMOS

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Can people tell me how they are getting such great battery? Do you play games? Facebook and Twitter on? Wifi always on? Please enlighten the rest of us.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Can people tell me how they are getting such great battery? Do you play games? Facebook and Twitter on? Wifi always on? Please enlighten the rest of us.

Idk averaging around 3 hours of screen on time on 3g only. I mostly use facebook,flip board, android central, words with friends.maybe 50-100 texts a day. Hardly any phone calls or streaming of anything unless im on wifi.I have sync turned off no GPS no BT no WiFi. On WiFi doing the same things I can get around 4.5 hours screen on time. Most people getting over 3.5 hours on screen are probably on WiFi at some point during the day.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Also I've noticed turning off things like sync BT Google now has very minimal effects on battery. The big drains really are GPS and if connected to WiFi it saves a lot of battery. You are going to spend more of your battery time checking on it then u would if you just used your phone.