4.2.2 and battery life

VertigoM

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
For all those who are running 4.2.2, does the update significantly improve battery life?

This is the main thing I'm looking forward to.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's only been a day, but Better Battery Stats is showing that it's going into Deep Sleep at a much higher percentage than before, even with faux kernels. Idle drain seems improved, but according to faux, they haven't fixed the HSIC stuff that's causing wakelock hell on non-wifi connections.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
It's only been a day, but Better Battery Stats is showing that it's going into Deep Sleep at a much higher percentage than before, even with faux kernels. Idle drain seems improved, but according to faux, they haven't fixed the HSIC stuff that's causing wakelock hell on non-wifi connections.

Are those issues correctable with kernels or whatnot? I'm a nooooobieeee with all that.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
For all those who are running 4.2.2, does the update significantly improve battery life?

This is the main thing I'm looking forward to.

I've noticed a vast improvement in battery life. Usually I get around 2.5 he's screen on time on 3g only. Today so far I've got 1 hour screen time and still at 75%

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

cornkracker

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed a vast improvement in battery life. Usually I get around 2.5 he's screen on time on 3g only. Today so far I've got 1 hour screen time and still at 75%

I'm having a similar experience. On 3G i would get a maximum of around 3 hours of screen time . My stats currently are unplugged for 9hrs, screen time of 1 hr 40 mins and battery is at 73%. Also, for the first time ever voice calls have a higher battery % use than screen time,that's with 20mins of being on calls. It is at 25% and screen is 23% on auto brightness. Feels like a substantial increase in battery life!

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Right now at 6 hours, 17 minutes, and 28 seconds from the last charge, I'm at 62% remaining, and that's with four phone calls, several text messages, GPS navigation to a friend's house, some web surfing, and playing a YouTube video.

Here's what's off: WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, Auto-Rotate.
Chat/Social Media Apps: FB, FB Messenger.

Not sure how this compares to anyone else's experiences, but if anyone has any more specific questions, or wants to share anything, feel free.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm pleased with the battery life so far. I'm coming from a nexus s 4g. I love this phone. I've been on my phone all day, which I normally don't do. Just setting it up. But I'm happy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361075405335.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361075405335.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 141
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361075449636.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361075449636.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 141

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that iOS has done better (though this is a relative statement what with the debacle that was iOS 5 and maybe even iOS 6) is to be a good automatic manager of power consumption on the device. I can remember the iPhone 4s (not the 4S) going up to a week between charges. The 4S was always a power hog, though I understand it got better with successive releases of iOS 5. I haven't heard very much about iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 because, honestly, almost all of the people I know either have iPhone 4s, 4Ss, or Android devices.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I noticed it too off charger for 15 hours with moderate use and was at 16% and that was with about 3 hours screen on time.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Unless there is a significant improvement to battery life I don't see a reason to update and give up LTE.
Well, but giving up LTE will almost by definition improve your battery life, since LTE in and of itself is a drain on battery. But since I never used LTE on this phone, I can categorically say that under similar usage, battery life has in fact improved quite a bit for me. Much of that is due to much smaller battery drain while the phone is idle, that is also true.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I never had a problem with idle battery life. It's watching the percentage drop by the minute when in use that's been the issue, and no, there was no change with the update.