fresh start with android with nexus 4 : need suggestions

raj24

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I was using apple (iOS) till now, first time using android..
just got my nexus 4.

tell me what are cool things to do, cool & must have apps & necessary sit4esm resources etc..

and rooting (was using jailbroken ipod touch), benifits and disadvantages etc..

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'll try and tackle some of this.

There's been a LOT of conversation on here lately about battery life (i.e.: runtime) and one thing you should know is that iOS does a lot of extra stuff to try and optimize power usage that is left to the user in Android. So, unless you're using these things, turn them off most of the time:

? Screen Auto-Rotation
? Wireless
? Bluetooth
? Near-Field Communications (NFC)
? GPS (Location Services)

As for apps, I'd have to say A Better Terminal Emulator (if you need to do any remote terminal work, say on a server); WeatherBug, Talkatone (or GrooveIP) if you want to talk over your data connection (thus saving you minutes on your voice service); SoundHound to identify songs; and of course the ever popular Dope Wars.

raj24

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
jus added some mp3s from my laptop to nexus 4..played with "play music":(..music (speakers) seems not as good as other phones..
or i need to install other music player which will work better or do something else..

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
SoundHound to identify songs

Since Google Search has song identification built in, I think SoundHound is a lot less essential than it used to be. Yes, you don't have history and all of bells and whistles that SoundHound does, but for quick song identification it's super fast to use.

raj24, learn to take Photospheres, take some decent ones, and then post them to your google+

Uselessbass

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Use power amp for your music player its hands down the best one has best sound quality and lots of options and a good widget ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'll try and tackle some of this.

There's been a LOT of conversation on here lately about battery life (i.e.: runtime) and one thing you should know is that iOS does a lot of extra stuff to try and optimize power usage that is left to the user in Android. So, unless you're using these things, turn them off most of the time:

? Screen Auto-Rotation
? Wireless
? Bluetooth
? Near-Field Communications (NFC)
? GPS (Location Services)

As for apps, I'd have to say A Better Terminal Emulator (if you need to do any remote terminal work, say on a server); WeatherBug, Talkatone (or GrooveIP) if you want to talk over your data connection (thus saving you minutes on your voice service); SoundHound to identify songs; and of course the ever popular Dope Wars.

I have all those items active and more and I go all day and evening with more than enough before plugging in the charger before going g to bed.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
When I first started using Android, I went to youtube and watched videos for my phone, for top android apps, for unlocking and rooting, etc... Watching people do stuff on the phone was a great way to figure it out.

You also mentioned rooting. If you think that you might want to do this, you should do it now rather than later. When you unlock the bootloader, it will completely wipe your phone, leaving only the operating system. Any apps that you've downloaded, screens that you set up and files that you have copied to your virtual sd card will be gone. It's easy to do when the phone is new and you haven't invested a lot of time in setting it up. This complete wipe only happens the one time that you unlock the bootloader. Later on, if you decide to install custom ROMs, your sd card will remain as is. If you want to do it, here's a link to show you how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/224861-guide-nexus-4-unlock-root.html