I can no longer tether my pc (on Tmobile prepaid SIM).

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not one of those 5 to 10 gb/month users, but a couple of times a week (when my son is gaming), I'll use my N4 as a hotspot for my pc. About all is do is spend a half hour checking email and andtroidcentral, and I have never had a problem doing this until last night. After reading this thread (http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ne-tmobile-prepaid-you-need-data-roaming.html), which basically says, for better data speeds, turn data roaming on AND then reset the APN to default...so I did it. Afterwards, I went to tether and after going to one or two web pages on my pc, no matter what I clicked/typed, or what bookmark I selected, the only web page I got was a tmobile page trying to get me to sign up for HotSpot services (T-Mobile Smartphone Mobile HotSpot).

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, and tmo is now cracking down on tethering, or if it's relate to my setting the APN back to default (whatever "default" is).

Unfortunately, I can't remember what my APN settings were before I elected to reset them to default, but here is what they are now. I'd appreciate anyone that has verified hotspot tethering to your pc is working well (please try going to more than just Google's home page), telling me if your APN settings are different from what I have.

Name: T-Mobile
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: Not set
MMS port: Not set
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled...with the check box checked and this whole line is actually grayed out
Bearer: Unspecified

Differences???

Thanks

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried reversing the process? Turn data roaming off again and - maybe, maybe not - reset the apn again also.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not one of those 5 to 10 gb/month users, but a couple of times a week (when my son is gaming), I'll use my N4 as a hotspot for my pc. About all is do is spend a half hour checking email and andtroidcentral, and I have never had a problem doing this until last night. After reading this thread (http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ne-tmobile-prepaid-you-need-data-roaming.html), which basically says, for better data speeds, turn data roaming on AND then reset the APN to default...so I did it. Afterwards, I went to tether and after going to one or two web pages on my pc, no matter what I clicked/typed, or what bookmark I selected, the only web page I got was a tmobile page trying to get me to sign up for HotSpot services (T-Mobile Smartphone Mobile HotSpot).
Forgive me, but if all you're doing is checking email and reading Android Central forums, couldn't you do that just as well on your phone? The Android Central Forums app works great for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried reversing the process? Turn data roaming off again and - maybe, maybe not - reset the apn again also.

I think the problem has nothing to do with the roaming data part, but rather the resetting of my APN back to "default." Since I unfortunately have no record of what I had set my APN up like, I have no idea what changed and no idea what to change it back to. Hence my asking for anyone that can in fact tether their pc (from a Tmobile prepaid SIM), if their APN settings are different from mine.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
What probably happened is TMO saw that your device was tethered when you tried to use a windows browser as part of its data package.
I forget what i was reading but when you use a browser from a computer the browser data is sent to someplace on the carriers network and they can tell if its being accessed by a phone or by a computer or what ever is accessing it, and thats how they can tell if your tethering. Not sure how much truth that holds but in your case that might make sense. Just a theory.

bristolmrd

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
i believe all the major wireless providers are cracking down on tethering unless you have a tethering plan . ive been reading a big discussion about this on the att wireless forum and people are getting notices or are being switched to a tethering plan ( from what i saw its less data and more expensive ) . they supposedly somehow are able to see 3rd party tethering programs being used and imforming or not informing the user and raising heck about it . they might even be blocking ( not sure ) , im really not versed enough as im still waiting for my first smart phone , but google it and you will see what im talking about .
mike

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I use an agent switcher. I use the Firefox browser and it has options that you can hide the fact you're using a pc. I set mine so t mobile thinks I'm using an iPhone. I can search all I want, no message.

I'm away from my computer right now but Google it and you will find it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me, but if all you're doing is checking email and reading Android Central forums, couldn't you do that just as well on your phone? The Android Central Forums app works great for me.

Seriously?? The ability to tether is an integral function of a Nexus device. I love my phone, and use it all throughout the day, but I could never understand why anyone would willingly choose to type emails and forum responses with their thumbs on a tiny keyboard/screen, when a pc is right in front of them. It's kind of like saying, "Why get up and turn on my 42" flat screen when I could just sit here and watch a movie on my little bitty 4" phone." The phone works great when you have no better option, but we often have other choices that work better.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
What probably happened is TMO saw that your device was tethered when you tried to use a windows browser as part of its data package.
I forget what i was reading but when you use a browser from a computer the browser data is sent to someplace on the carriers network and they can tell if its being accessed by a phone or by a computer or what ever is accessing it, and thats how they can tell if your tethering. Not sure how much truth that holds but in your case that might make sense. Just a theory.

i believe all the major wireless providers are cracking down on tethering unless you have a tethering plan . ive been reading a big discussion about this on the att wireless forum and people are getting notices or are being switched to a tethering plan ( from what i saw its less data and more expensive ) . they supposedly somehow are able to see 3rd party tethering programs being used and imforming or not informing the user and raising heck about it . they might even be blocking ( not sure ) , im really not versed enough as im still waiting for my first smart phone , but google it and you will see what im talking about .
mike

If that's the case, then it just sucks, and there is nothing any of us can do. But until last night, I could tether just fine using my pc and it's browser. I'm just wondering if anyone that has a prepaid tmo SIM and has tethered before, can try to tether now and see if it's working. If so, are your APN settings different from mine?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Seriously?? The ability to tether is an integral function of a Nexus device. I love my phone, and use it all throughout the day, but I could never understand why anyone would willingly choose to type emails and forum responses with their thumbs on a tiny keyboard/screen, when a pc is right in front of them. It's kind of like saying, "Why get up and turn on my 42" flat screen when I could just sit here and watch a movie on my little bitty 4" phone." The phone works great when you have no better option, but we often have other choices that work better.
Since you went there, let me point out that you, freely and knowingly signed up for a plan that DOESN'T have tethering as an "integral" plan. Now you're just trying to complain because the terms of service you knowingly signed up for is being enforced against you. Furthermore, even though you don't use a lot of data, you're making the argument that you could use your phone's data connection to do much more bandwidth intensive activity, like streaming video/movies to a computer. Your data plan is for your device, not because that's what other people want but because that's what you signed up for.

Now, you're ignoring a lot on the technological front. I can in fact type faster on my phone than on my desktop. Why? Gesture typing and speech to text... Both are superb in jellybean and beats the pants off of any physical keyboard when it comes to typing. There is no equivalence for videos.

Last edited:

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I used to do slight tethering here and there with my Sidekick 4G. I'd mostly use it with an iPad and occasionally a laptop. Nothing too data heavy as I can remember, just some web browsing and info lookups.

The other month I (stupidly?) tried uploading a video from my laptop to Youtube via a tethered N4 connection. It crapped out after about 200MB through and then I just got the hot spot sign up screens when going to any web page.

Eventually though (after getting a new IP address on laptop? on phone?) tethering started working again.

(I should have just copied the video file to the N4 and uploaded from there. My home dsl has really slow upload, which is why I was trying the tether route.)

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Since you went there, let me point out that you, freely and knowingly signed up for a plan that DOESN'T have tethering as an "integral" plan. Now you're just trying to complain because the terms of service you knowingly signed up for is being enforced against you. Furthermore, even though you don't use a lot of data, you're making the argument that you could use your phone's data connection to do much more bandwidth intensive activity, like streaming video/movies to a computer. Your data plan is for your device, not because that's what other people want but because that's what you sighed up for.

Now, you're ignoring a lot on the technological front. I can in fact type faster on my phone than on my desktop. Why? Gesture typing and speech to text... Both are superb in jellybean and beats the pants off of any physical keyboard when it comes to typing. There is no equivalence for videos.

PLEASE...don't anyone else respond to yfan's post. I'm trying to figure something out here that we may all need to know and he will go off on a holy than thou rant and wreck this thread.

Now, yfan...you say something smarta$$ back to me...I wont reply and you can get in the last word. You're better than all of us and you win!

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
PLEASE...don't anyone else respond to yfan's post. I'm trying to figure something out here that we may all need to know and he will go off on a holy than thou rant and wreck this thread.
In other words, you have no actual answer to points I made (including the technical one).

Yep you're trying to figure something out. You're trying to figure out how to circumvent the terms of a service you voluntarily subjected yourself to. In fact, you're not trying to figure out how to tether on the Nexus 4 here at all. It's entirely possible, if your service provider allows it. Nothing changed there. You're trying to figure out how to tether on T-Mobile without paying for it. In that respect, this thread might actually belong in the T-Mobile sub forum.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I use an agent switcher. I use the Firefox browser and it has options that you can hide the fact you're using a pc. I set mine so t mobile thinks I'm using an iPhone. I can search all I want, no message.

I'm away from my computer right now but Google it and you will find it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Also change the laptops TTL value to 65 so that it is the same as the phone after it passes thru = 64.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If that's the case, then it just sucks, and there is nothing any of us can do. But until last night, I could tether just fine using my pc and it's browser. I'm just wondering if anyone that has a prepaid tmo SIM and has tethered before, can try to tether now and see if it's working. If so, are your APN settings different from mine?

From everything I have read - whether they catch you or not is totally random most of the time. They probably have assigned someone as the "police" to enforce this and they can only do so much,

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can't remember what my APN settings were before I elected to reset them to default, but here is what they are now. I'd appreciate anyone that has verified hotspot tethering to your pc is working well (please try going to more than just Google's home page), telling me if your APN settings are different from what I have.

Name: T-Mobile
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: Not set
MMS port: Not set
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled...with the check box checked and this whole line is actually grayed out
Bearer: Unspecified

Differences???

Thanks

Everything is the same for me. I am all defaults.

I am T Mobile Pre-paid monthly 4g no contract SIM. I have never touched my APN settings, nor did I ever enable roaming data (as you tried which you've speculated messed up your tethering). Anyway, my settings must be default, and they match exactly what you have listed here.

You could try hard resetting back to factory defaults. I think you would want to disable or uncheck everything under settings -- backup and reset -- so none of your current settings get recovered and reinstalled. (You will lose all your data on your phone, so be sure to back up somewhere else). I also think you would do a "hard reset" rather than just selecting factory reset from your phone's native setting app. See here, and follow the second "alternative" method listed. Reset your phone to factory settings - Nexus Help

Hope this helps. It sucks that you lost tethering. Thanks for posting your post. I won't touch trying to enable roaming data for fear of messing up tethering even though all of this is mere speculation.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Everything is the same for me. I am all defaults.

I am T Mobile Pre-paid monthly 4g no contract SIM. I have never touched my APN settings, nor did I ever enable roaming data (as you tried which you've speculated messed up your tethering). Anyway, my settings must be default, and they match exactly what you have listed here.

You could try hard resetting back to factory defaults. I think you would want to disable or uncheck everything under settings -- backup and reset -- so none of your current settings get recovered and reinstalled. (You will lose all your data on your phone, so be sure to back up somewhere else). I also think you would do a "hard reset" rather than just selecting factory reset from your phone's native setting app. See here, and follow the second "alternative" method listed. Reset your phone to factory settings - Nexus Help

Hope this helps. It sucks that you lost tethering. Thanks for posting your post. I won't touch trying to enable roaming data for fear of messing up tethering even though all of this is mere speculation.

Thanks so much for looking! You didn't say, but I'm assuming that you did try to tether and and it worked fine??

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You didn't say, but I'm assuming that you did try to tether and and it worked fine??

Yes. Tethering works fine to both laptop and tablet.

(I realized later after I responding that I actually didn't mention that I checked tethering. Kind of funny how you can ask something in plain simple and point-blank language and not get an answer).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad