I can no longer tether my pc (on Tmobile prepaid SIM).

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Tethering works fine to both laptop and tablet.

(I realized later after I responding that I actually didn't mention that I checked tethering. Kind of funny how you can ask something in plain simple and point-blank language and not get an answer).

I kind of figured... Thanks for both checking and for the direct response.

What's really funny is how you can ask something in "plain simple and point-blank language" and it takes 18 responses for someone to answer the question.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That usually resets on your next billing cycle, from what I understand.

You know that is an excellent point. I never even thought of that.

I have done a hard reset per the alternative method on the google nexus 4 help/troubleshooting page here Reset your phone to factory settings - Nexus Help
As far as I can tell my billing cycle was not reset. That actually might not be a "hard reset" so I might be using the wrong term/language, but anyways like I said I did it at least once or twice and billing cycle was not reset.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You know that is an excellent point. I never even thought of that.

I have done a hard reset per the alternative method on the google nexus 4 help/troubleshooting page here Reset your phone to factory settings - Nexus Help
As far as I can tell my billing cycle was not reset. That actually might not be a "hard reset" so I might be using the wrong term/language, but anyways like I said I did it at least once or twice and billing cycle was not reset.

Nah, nah, you've got it backwards. When your billing cycle resets (ie, when one cycle finishes and the next one starts) odd are the tethering restrictions will have been lifted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
In the APN menu, where it says:

T-Mobile US ............................. (O)
epc.tmobile.com

Is that bullet ticked for you? When I followed that process in the other thread, when I got to resetting the APN, that "processing" dialog box popped up and then the bullet went from ticked to unticked.

I ticked it on (and then questioned if that would throw off the steps but it doesn't seem to have) and everything seems fine. My tethering is still normal.

I never tested it with the bullet unticked. I think I even tried a second APN reset to see if it'd be unselected, but it didn't happen like the first time.

And I guess, just to make sure, you're using the integrated tethering ability in Android, right? Not a 3rd party tethering app from the market?

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
If you buy a data plan that says 5 gb a month of 4g speed and unlimited 2g after that I don't see why anyone has to pay more money so they can use that data on another device.

I stream and download items on my phone just like my computer. It shouldn't matter how fast I use up that 4g because I decided to downloaded a 200gb video game patch on my computer by tethering with my phone.

Its like straight talk and their crappy data rules. They advertise unlimited data but then say they can cut you off if you stream anything or whenever they are bored basically.

If it isn't an unlimited plan do not say it is, than paying for tethering is fine.

Also don't tell me how fast I can use my data. If I want to use 5gbs of my total 4g alotment in one day on my phone or on my tab/computer I should be able to do that however I like.

Tethering is just a way for them to milk more profit out of their customers and it is clearly not right. Its like them making rules like oh on sundays you can stream youtube but on Tuesdays you cannot you have to pay 5 dollars a month extra for the primetime youtube plan add on.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
In the APN menu, where it says:

T-Mobile US ............................. (O)
epc.tmobile.com

Is that bullet ticked for you? When I followed that process in the other thread, when I got to resetting the APN, that "processing" dialog box popped up and then the bullet went from ticked to unticked.

I ticked it on (and then questioned if that would throw off the steps but it doesn't seem to have) and everything seems fine. My tethering is still normal.

I never tested it with the bullet unticked. I think I even tried a second APN reset to see if it'd be unselected, but it didn't happen like the first time.

And I guess, just to make sure, you're using the integrated tethering ability in Android, right? Not a 3rd party tethering app from the market?

Yes, mine worked exactly like you described yours...went from selected to unselected, and then I re-selected it. I also went back in later and deleted the "US" part of the APN, thinking that maybe that part was new (can't remember what it used to say), and maybe they are now monitoring that APN name for tethering, but dropping the "US" had no effect.

And I am using the native tether (not 3rd party...though maybe I'll try that).

danootz

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
My APN settings are the same as you listed BTW.

It'd have to be a big coincidence, but it wasn't like had used a ton of data prior to changing the settings, right? Maybe a block was set?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

PaulMilander

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Seriously?? The ability to tether is an integral function of a Nexus device. I love my phone, and use it all throughout the day, but I could never understand why anyone would willingly choose to type emails and forum responses with their thumbs on a tiny keyboard/screen, when a pc is right in front of them. It's kind of like saying, "Why get up and turn on my 42" flat screen when I could just sit here and watch a movie on my little bitty 4" phone." The phone works great when you have no better option, but we often have other choices that work better.

I'm on my phone right now with my laptop right beside me.. some people like me just use the phone more I guess

Sent from my HTC One V using Android Central Forums

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Seriously?? The ability to tether is an integral function of a Nexus device. I love my phone, and use it all throughout the day, but I could never understand why anyone would willingly choose to type emails and forum responses with their thumbs on a tiny keyboard/screen, when a pc is right in front of them.
Then buy a data plan that supports tethering.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
If you buy a data plan that says 5 gb a month of 4g speed and unlimited 2g after that I don't see why anyone has to pay more money so they can use that data on another device.
I agree. If I had a N4, a HSPA+ N7 and a laptop with a broadband card, why shouldn't I be able to use all 3 for one low price as long as I don't go over the limit.

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I see this tethering debate as a reaction to the lack of data plans with reasonable rates.

The carriers just can't avoid the temptation of trying to suck $50+ a month out of someone that wants to use their notebook on the go or just avoid having to use wifi networks with questionable security.

They don't care if you use 20 gb or 20 mb, if they think they can get money out of you they will mess with you until you pay.

There are plenty of carriers that will let you go over your quota because it really doesn't cost them anything after their network is in place, they have already paid for the bandwidth. It's that $50 they are after.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Well, first of all, because that's what you signed up for. No one held a gun to your head to force you to sign up for that plan, you did it on your own. I don't see why some refuse to understand the terms of service they freely signed up for. Second, in technical terms, the reason your data usage is limited to your phone is because the carrier takes into account overall usage patterns - that you most likely *won't* do everything on your phone - either because another device is more convenient or your phone lacks the capacity to do something (for example, the capacity to hold a 200 GB game). Those are factored into the calculation when they allocate bandwidth. When you use your phone as a hotspot against the terms of service, you are screwing it up for the rest of your fellow subscribers.

Once again, nobody forces you to sign up for the plan. If you don't like T-mobile's tethering limitation, either buy a tethering plan or go to a Share plan with AT&T, where they do allow your device to tether at no extra charge.

I stream and download items on my phone just like my computer.
Then do it on your phone. You want to do it on your computer, and as I said, that usage pattern is entered into the assumptions of mobile bandwidth allocations.

Also don't tell me how fast I can use my data. If I want to use 5gbs of my total 4g alotment in one day on my phone or on my tab/computer I should be able to do that however I like.
On T-mobile, you can in fact use up your 5 gig in the first day if you want. No one will stop you. On Straight Talk, again, read the terms of service before you subject yourself to it. If you don't, others aren't responsible for your lack of reading the contract you are entering into.

Tethering is just a way for them to milk more profit out of their customers and it is clearly not right.
It frankly doesn't matter what you think is right. It matters what you signed up for. Don't sign up for something you don't think is right.

I see this tethering debate as a reaction to the lack of data plans with reasonable rates.

The carriers just can't avoid the temptation of trying to suck $50+ a month out of someone that wants to use their notebook on the go or just avoid having to use wifi networks with questionable security.
Carriers have plans that include tethering. AT&T and Verizon's share plans all include no-cost tethering, as do T-mobile's contract plans with 5 or 10 gigs of data.

They don't care if you use 20 gb or 20 mb, if they think they can get money out of you they will mess with you until you pay.

There are plenty of carriers that will let you go over your quota because it really doesn't cost them anything after their network is in place, they have already paid for the bandwidth. It's that $50 they are after.
Actually, it takes money to maintain and expand infrastructure, as well as provide for the evergrowing bandwidth demands. But in any case, why do you think you're entitled to the bandwidth they paid for without following their terms? Can I come and demand to stay in your house because "you already paid the mortgage" and thus you don't really need the extra rent from me?

Bottom line: there are plenty of plans these days that allow tethering without an extra tethering fee. Choose one of those if you want to tether without paying extra.

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
No, your $30 is more than enough to pay for inferstructure.

A better analogy is a landlord that bans their tenants from using the bathroom because you can pee out the window.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it takes money to maintain and expand infrastructure, as well as provide for the evergrowing bandwidth demands.

does tethering per se put higher demands on carrier networks? is it more data intensive than using your phone if you are doing the exact same activity?

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
does tethering per se put higher demands on carrier networks? is it more data intensive than using your phone if you are doing the exact same activity?

If you are using your phone and your wife, gf or kids are tethered and using a tablet, yes. They have no way to tell the difference so they act accordingly.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
No, your $30 is more than enough to pay for inferstructure.
That really isn't up to you to decide. What IS up to you to decide is what terms of service you agree to. If you don't like it and don't want to live by it, go pick another service. If I don't like the rules of a class - for example, I believe that all tests should be open book and the Professor doesn't allow it - I don't get to cheat and play by my rules. If I sign up for a class, I agree to live by its rules. If not, I pick another class (or school). Seriously, if you think $30 is enough to pay for infrastructure, and no one else will give it to you at the price you want, set up your own service. Good luck.

A better analogy is a landlord that bans their tenants from using the bathroom because you can pee out the window.
Without the absurd idea, actually, many landlords DO charge you extra if you have guests staying for an extended period of time, on the count that they will use more utilities, even if your guests don't actually do that.

Again, consumer habits are part of the calculation in the bandwidth math. It takes into account the fact that you don't *want* to do certain things on your phone even if it's possible. If you don't do it on your phone, that reduced bandwidth drain. And that's born out by your very post - if you can do the exact same activity on your phone, and you know you agreed to terms of service that limits your data to your phone only, why don't you? Think about it. That behavior is taken into account.

kalocin

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I bet the next thing you are going to say is that Oil companies don't price fix and gasoline is reasonably priced.

Some people can see when they are getting screwed instead of just spreading the other cheek.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I bet the next thing you are going to say is that Oil companies don't price fix and gasoline is reasonably priced.

Some people can see when they are getting screwed instead of just spreading the other cheek.
No, what I am going to say is whether you think you're paying a fair price is irrelevant. That you think oil companies are gouging you does not mean you can go to a gas station and pay less than their rate. What you can do is buy a more fuel efficient car or ride a bicycle (I have both). I also use an app to find cheaper gas. If you don't want to pay the price a vendor is charging you, don't buy from them. That's all. If you think you're getting screwed, that gives you the right to stop doing business with whoever is screwing you. It doesn't give you the right to violate an agreement you willingly entered into.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance