About to get throttled -TMobile

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
$70 prepaid unlimited everything is available now. I recommend you setup a google voice number, get the $30 prepaid 100 mins unlimited texts 5GB of 4G data plan. VoIP has been great for me. I used to "hate" my friends and colleagues that would ignore a call and text you right back...now that's MY forte :cool:

NexuxGirIX

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
$70 prepaid unlimited everything is available now. I recommend you setup a google voice number, get the $30 prepaid 100 mins unlimited texts 5GB of 4G data plan. VoIP has been great for me. I used to "hate" my friends and colleagues that would ignore a call and text you right back...now that's MY forte :cool:
I have a 32GB Nexus 7 that I setup with Google voice and Groove IP. I had no idea I could make unlimited free calls on this thing. since there's is no earpiece, audio comes out of the speaker but it can be paired with a BT headset or wired headset. I bought the $4.99 Groove IP app so I can use my Nexus 7s data plan.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
My $60/ Month t-mobile plan has been suiting me just fine.

Unlimited Talk/Text and 2GB of 4G Data before throttle. I never get anywhere close to 2GB since I use wifi at home and work.

Thats the plan I'm using. 100 minuets are not enough and voip is horrible on edge and 3g, no hspa+ 21 or 42 where I work\live. Don't really need more than 2 GB since I use wifi at home and at work. Plus it's hard to rack up the data when your only getting .3-1.7 mbps dl speeds :(. But with the $30 plan it is only 10 cents a minuet for overage. So if you use less than 500 minuets a month(100 included, 400 over at .10 = $40), you could save a few bucks over the $70 prepaid plan. I was thinking about going that route, but have been using about 600 a month.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't know much about T Mobile, for I have Sprint. However 500mb seems very, very low. I would consider spending the money for more data if you can afford it.

T-Mobile has a number of different plans, both contract and monthly. The one I have - as do a lit of other people - gives a lot more than 500MB of data, though T-Mo has 500MB plans as well.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a genuine question about the prepaid plans. Why would you opt to pay $60 for unlimited /(2GB unthrottled) from T-Mobile directly when Solavei is $49 for unlimited / (4GB unthrottled) on the same network?

When I was comparing plans I couldn't justify the extra $10/month for half the 4g data - even if I never use it. Is it concerns about customer service, or are you not comfortable with Solavei being new?

Since it's all prepaid I saw it as no risk - if I'm not happy I can always switch providers. So far I've been very happy. (Of course, I'm coming from Sprint so that could have something to do with it.) :D

Even if you have no interest in the Solavei referral program, I think it's a pretty good deal. Sure makes that $60 plan look expensive to me.

I'm always fascinated by what drives these types of decisions. I understand the appeal of the $30 and $70 plans, but not the $50 or $60.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

skidmark

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a genuine question about the prepaid plans. Why would you opt to pay $60 for unlimited /(2GB unthrottled) from T-Mobile directly when Solavei is $49 for unlimited / (4GB unthrottled) on the same network?

When I was comparing plans I couldn't justify the extra $10/month for half the 4g data - even if I never use it. Is it concerns about customer service, or are you not comfortable with Solavei being new?

Since it's all prepaid I saw it as no risk - if I'm not happy I can always switch providers. So far I've been very happy. (Of course, I'm coming from Sprint so that could have something to do with it.) :D

Even if you have no interest in the Solavei referral program, I think it's a pretty good deal. Sure makes that $60 plan look expensive to me.

I'm always fascinated by what drives these types of decisions. I understand the appeal of the $30 and $70 plans, but not the $50 or $60.

I have read that there are issue with Solavei and Google Voice. And I really need GV to work since I use it for my small business and personal.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
For just a few dollars more you could have unlimited no cap everything.... oh, and with a 2 year contract. :'(

But really, I do not see any problem with a 2 year if you are not tied to a subsidized phone for the contract period.

For $70/month you can have unlimited everything with no throttling and without a contract.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have read that there are issue with Solavei and Google Voice. And I really need GV to work since I use it for my small business and personal.

That's fair, and the type of answer I'm looking for.

FYI The issue with Google Voice is a cosmetic one (but could certainly be important to the running of a business.) Calls appear twice in the standard call log. A zero length one to the number dialed followed by one to the Google exchange number for the actual length of the call. The call log in the GV app still masks this - and doesn't show the exchange number. The standard call log can look cluttered - the GV one looks normal. It doesn't bother me, but I'm not running a business.

I've contacted customer service about this and they are aware of it. They claim it is limited to the Nexus 4 - which I find strange. They say they are working on it - in all honesty I wouldn't hold my breath.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Why would you opt to pay $60 for unlimited /(2GB unthrottled) from T-Mobile directly when Solavei is $49 for unlimited / (4GB unthrottled) on the same network?

I think there could be a lot of reasons. People don't want to change their number (even if not an issue they might not want to deal with the hassle of porting). They might be happy / comfortable with T Mobile. When the N4 first came out it wasn't available on Solavei without a workaround (only what I read -- I could be wrong). They might not need or use the data 4GB of data. Older customers might not even know the difference between 4GB and 2GB of data and terms like throttling. It is hard to get people to try something new. None of these are real satisfactory answers but it is just the way it is. (Cute dog picture by the way).

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
(Cute dog picture by the way).

Thanks, that's River. She's a sweetheart.

What you said is certainly true of the general public. I was more curious about people here who I expect to do more research about what's available, and to be more technically savvy.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you know anyone who has gone with GoSmart? I hate the way they advertise "high speed data." You have to read the fine print to see they mean 3g only - no 4g.

No I don't. I thought about switching to them until I saw it was 3G only. I'll stick with monthly 4G for a few bucks more. Still way less than what I was paying Verizon.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It's $55 with a 2 year.

Edit: actually, that's with my small biz value plan. I think it's close to the same for personal.

Yeah, you probably have some sort of discount or promotion. On a 2-year contract Value plan, it's also $70, and on a 2-year contract Classic plan, it's $90.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Well, if Solavei is having problems with Google Voice, then that's one big detractor. I run Talkatone on mine, and don't see the need to spend $45 when I can spend $30 a month. ;)

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, if Solavei is having problems with Google Voice, then that's one big detractor. I run Talkatone on mine, and don't see the need to spend $45 when I can spend $30 a month. ;)

That all depends on what you consider problems. I'd rather have the cosmetic issue Solavei has, and have conditional call forwarding so my sim number goes to GV voicemail. It works better for me with GV than T-Mobile prepaid would. Other people have different priorities.

That $30 plan is a great deal - I just couldn't make the 100 minutes work. I tested GrooveIP and couldn't get good enough results away from wifi. Did you try both GrooveIP and Talkatone?