Nexus 4 Update 4.2.2 Error

jensenng

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to update my Nexus 4 to 4.2.2. My Nexus 4 is rooted, is this causing the update error? Tried several times, no luck. Help.

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why...I was rooted...took the OTA update and it went through fine. I had to re-root though, but that was to be expected.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, mine just took me to CWM update type screen in recovery, made me pick something like "install untrusted zip," then rebooted and now shows 4.2.1. I'm not worried though, because I like 4.2.1 and doubt any of us will notice a difference in 4.2.2 anyway. It'll happen when it happens.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You sure you did not remove any system apps or even a change in one of the system files? What error do you get when trying to do the update?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Just going on what 2defmouze says here, quite possible I'm not understanding something though:

"PSA for Rooted users only:
POINT #1:
If you are rooted and don't know if you have a custom recovery, you probably do, and won't likely be able to install the OTA until you flash the stock recovery. This is very simple to do! The Nexus Toolkit many used to unlock and root has an option to flash just the stock recovery for you. Alternatively, you can grab the stock recovery by unzipping the factory image from Google (see my Factory Image Restore thread) and locating the recovery.img file, then flashing it yourself via fastboot using:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
The OTA should install fine now. However..... "

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...exus-7-adds-landscape-mode-3.html#post2224722

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Custom recoveries do not prevent ota updates

I thought custom recoveries DO prevent OTA updates. Maybe it depends what the update is?

My Nexus 4 is completely stock, but it's rooted. I had to unroot it to install the 4.2.2 OTA update.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Just going on what 2defmouze says here, quite possible I'm not understanding something though:

"PSA for Rooted users only:
POINT #1:
If you are rooted and don't know if you have a custom recovery, you probably do, and won't likely be able to install the OTA until you flash the stock recovery. This is very simple to do! The Nexus Toolkit many used to unlock and root has an option to flash just the stock recovery for you. Alternatively, you can grab the stock recovery by unzipping the factory image from Google (see my Factory Image Restore thread) and locating the recovery.img file, then flashing it yourself via fastboot using:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
The OTA should install fine now. However..... "

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...exus-7-adds-landscape-mode-3.html#post2224722

I thought custom recoveries DO prevent OTA updates. Maybe it depends what the update is?

My Nexus 4 is completely stock, but it's rooted. I had to unroot it to install the 4.2.2 OTA update.

Having a custom recovery would prevent OTA updates in the past. I think this has changed in the newer updates or with the introduction of updated custom recoveries. I updated my phone from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2 while stock rooted with TWRP recovery. The OTA went through fine. I did lose my root and custom recovery however and had to re root

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34