Nexus 4 rebooting ... a lot

Grinnall3

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have owned my Nexus 4 for around 4 weeks now. Until yesterday evening it was running 4.2.1 and crashed/rebooted regularly - I'd say at least 5 times a day with low-moderate usage. This happened whilst using seemingly any app, but more often than not when using the BBC News & Facebook apps (UK user). I received the 4.2.2 update late yesterday evening and immediately Chrome refused to start up - popping up for a second or so and then disappearing. I eventually got it to work this morning by clearing all Chrome data... now that side of things seems to be sorted.

However... using the BBC News app this morning resulted in 5 reboots in 20 mins. All I was doing was either reading an article, or scrolling down the main page. I haven't tried any of the other apps yet, so can't say whether they cause the same issues or not.

I've read a few articles on Nexus 4 crashes across the Internet, but none seem to offer any resolution. Has anyone else had any similar issues? Does it sound like a dodgy bit of hardware, or is it more likely to be software based? Is there any way of finding out?

Cheers,
Ian

big_Drew

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since Nov 29th, and I just got my first random reboot just after the 4.2.2 update. It hasn't happened since though. You could back up your data and try a factory wipe. Play around with it heavily before installing apps. Don't use Titanium backup to restore either, that's caused weird behavior.

djkleric

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have owned my Nexus 4 for around 4 weeks now. Until yesterday evening it was running 4.2.1 and crashed/rebooted regularly - I'd say at least 5 times a day with low-moderate usage. This happened whilst using seemingly any app, but more often than not when using the BBC News & Facebook apps (UK user). I received the 4.2.2 update late yesterday evening and immediately Chrome refused to start up - popping up for a second or so and then disappearing. I eventually got it to work this morning by clearing all Chrome data... now that side of things seems to be sorted.

However... using the BBC News app this morning resulted in 5 reboots in 20 mins. All I was doing was either reading an article, or scrolling down the main page. I haven't tried any of the other apps yet, so can't say whether they cause the same issues or not.

I've read a few articles on Nexus 4 crashes across the Internet, but none seem to offer any resolution. Has anyone else had any similar issues? Does it sound like a dodgy bit of hardware, or is it more likely to be software based? Is there any way of finding out?

Cheers,
Ian

Have you tried hard resetting our phone? That may help. give it a try if you dont mind losing all your data.

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Cheers,
Ian

This was a software level issue within android which Google did acknowledge its unknown if it really was fixed in 4.2.2 but I'm gonna say with 95% certainty that the issue was never fixed and still does exist.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084