APN Issue? Mobile Data Issue? Input please! :)

bhuffy

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I recently purchased a Nexus from and have been having some issues. I am not quite sure as to what the exact problem is yet, so I don't know how to resolve it. I currently have Straight Talk (AT&T). The mobile data works fine, I have not had any issues. I have tried just about everything that I could find on the internet. I am not able to send MMS messages; however, I am able to receive them. I have messed with the APN like a madman trying to figure something out (changed proxies, removed the proxy, changed APN type, etc..) . Prior to today I could not send or receive MMS. Someone said to factory reset the phone, and after I did that everything worked with the Straight Talk provided APN, for about 10 minutes. I could send and receive MMS, but not for long. I can still receive them, but can't send. I have yet to contact Straight Talk and let them know, but I am guessing they will want me to purchase another sim from them.

If this means anything I have entered the phone settings and the radio is set to WCDMA preferred. In the phone information setting I can see that the mobile network type keeps changing from HSPA:10 to HSPA+:15 and vise versa usually about every 10 seconds. After messing with these settings for a while, I came to the conclusion that the rapidly changing mobile network was the issue. I am not sure if this is it, but if it is, I do not know how to have it prefer one instead of changing.

Current APN
Name: Straight Talk
APM: att.mvno
Proxy:66.209.11.33
Port: 80
MMSC: http: // mmsc.cingular.com (without spaces of course)
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified

Everything else is Not set

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone! :confused:

PaulMilander

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I recently purchased a Nexus from and have been having some issues. I am not quite sure as to what the exact problem is yet, so I don't know how to resolve it. I currently have Straight Talk (AT&T). The mobile data works fine, I have not had any issues. I have tried just about everything that I could find on the internet. I am not able to send MMS messages; however, I am able to receive them. I have messed with the APN like a madman trying to figure something out (changed proxies, removed the proxy, changed APN type, etc..) . Prior to today I could not send or receive MMS. Someone said to factory reset the phone, and after I did that everything worked with the Straight Talk provided APN, for about 10 minutes. I could send and receive MMS, but not for long. I can still receive them, but can't send. I have yet to contact Straight Talk and let them know, but I am guessing they will want me to purchase another sim from them.

If this means anything I have entered the phone settings and the radio is set to WCDMA preferred. In the phone information setting I can see that the mobile network type keeps changing from HSPA:10 to HSPA+:15 and vise versa usually about every 10 seconds. After messing with these settings for a while, I came to the conclusion that the rapidly changing mobile network was the issue. I am not sure if this is it, but if it is, I do not know how to have it prefer one instead of changing.

Current APN
Name: Straight Talk
APM: att.mvno
Proxy:66.209.11.33
Port: 80
MMSC: http: // mmsc.cingular.com (without spaces of course)
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified

Everything else is Not set

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance to anyone! :confused:

I just posted the same thing... it's not just you

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

bhuffy

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Do you use any third party messaging apps such as GO SMS? I discovered that is where my problem was. For some reason GO SMS was not sending them properly. However if that is not the case, I suggest you try this. I received a reply on another forum.

"OK here is how you solve that if you have not fixed it already.first create a new APN
Name =Straight Talk AT&T
APN =att.mvno
APN type=default,*
And you save it and next make a new APN again
Name=Straight Talk AT&T MMS
APN =att.mvno
MMSC=http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy=66.209.11.33
MMS port=80
APN type=mms
And save it now check that blue dot is on the first saved APN now next reboot"

PaulMilander

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Do you use any third party messaging apps such as GO SMS? I discovered that is where my problem was. For some reason GO SMS was not sending them properly. However if that is not the case, I suggest you try this. I received a reply on another forum.
Yep you are right, I can send through Go but not receive, however my stock message app does both

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
While I don't use GoSMS myself, and may be wrong on this, I do remember seeing another user's reply indicating that there was a setting inside GoSMS that you need to change. The setting relates to the APN itself, something along the lines of adding an APN inside of GoSMS.

I'll try to find the post I'm thinking of.

bristolmrd

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
While I don't use GoSMS myself, and may be wrong on this, I do remember seeing another user's reply indicating that there was a setting inside GoSMS that you need to change. The setting relates to the APN itself, something along the lines of adding an APN inside of GoSMS.

this might be the link your looking for
Offical Web And MMS Setting For Metro Pcs!!! Please Sticky!!! - PPCGeeks[/url~* Instructions for GO SMS *~

1.) Open the app and click the menu button on your device to bring up the menu options.

2.) Tap on "Settings" and select the "Advanced" tab. Scroll all the way down and tap on "Important Tips". Check the "Stock SMS Uninstalled?" option.

3.) Go back to the previous menu and now tap on "MMS Settings". Scroll all the way down and check the "Fill APN Configuration Manually". Then insert the following information:

MMSC: [url]http://mms.metropcs.net/mmsc

MMS Proxy: wap.metropcs.net
MMS Port: 3128

4.) Delete/Move stock "Mms.apk" from "/system/app".

5.) Enjoy sending MMS through a better & customizable app. :)

NOTE: To send a regular MMS message from GO SMS, create a standard text message, tap on the paper clip at the left of the input field, then tap on the fifth icon. Finally, select whatever is that you want to send. It should work just fine.
this was another thread about go sms
mike

bhuffy

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

There is a place where you can input the mms address, but I had no luck. By default it goes off your apn, so it should have been correct. After adding it within the app I still had no luck. I found out in order to fix the issue for me I had to increase the maximum file size to be sent. I should have explored the settings more, but later I discovered this.