Google Play Movies and TV can't play personal video on my Nexus 4

HenryP20

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I was able to play my personal video files (.avi and .wmv) on my old LG Optimus G2x without the need of downloading additional third-party video player from the market. When I try to do the same on my Nexus 4, it kept saying "Can't play this video.". Did the Nexus 4 or the current version of Android removed support for personal video playback?

Michael Rodgers

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Just checked on mine. I don't actually use Google's video player, but when I opened it up I was able to play episodes of Community and Parks and Rec, which I did not purchase through Google. They were both mp4 though - not avi or wmv. It wouldn't surprise me if the default player wouldn't play wmv, but avi should be a bit more universal...

And I know this is not your question, but there are several good (I would say better) video players than Google's. MoboPlayer, MX Player, and VLC all work well, if you find that you can't get the stock player to work for you.

HenryP20

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I ended up downloading MX player to play my video, I just think it is ironic both of LG P999 Optimus G2x and Samsung Exhibit 4G were able to play avi and wmv files while Nexus 4 is newer and higher end phone yet unable to play personal video file on its own Google video player.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes and Nexus is vanilla Android while those other phones have all kinds of manufacturer supplied bloat. I think Google made the right decision since clearly there are many apps in the play store that can play the files.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

David Chiang

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
thanks. its plain vanilla alright and supposed everything can be "googled" but i thought being a customer friendly org those guys would have the decency to at least preload a notepad and a video player which are essentials in every smart phone ???? fortunately they didnt forget the Music player.
i do regret buying the Nexus and i am not impressed w the display or browsing capability either