Nexus 4 charging overnight turns off by itself is a safety feature?

specc

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I just talked to a google support representative. They told me that the Nexus 4 will turn off (completely shutdown the phone) by itself after charging 100% to prevent overcharging. I find it kind of strange that this kind of feature was build in. :confused: I was even sure if the support representative was giving me some BS answer.... I mean people do use the alarm feature while charging the phone.

SpecC

cavemandaveman

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine will fully charge, then stop itself from charging (while plugged in) until it drains to a certain amount (I think 95%), and start charging again. That might be what they meant.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Mine will fully charge, then stop itself from charging (while plugged in) until it drains to a certain amount (I think 95%), and start charging again. That might be what they meant.
Mine does the same. I use a wireless charging pad and I can tell when it's charging or not because the phone starts to get warm when the wireless charger kicks on. Once it charges, the phone gets cold. Once it drains to about 95% or so, the charger kicks back on and the phone gets warm again.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My Eveready Qi charger (this one Amazon.com: Qi Inductive Charger, 3-Position by EVEREADY (Catalog Category: Computer/Supplies & Data Storage / Computer): Office Products but I paid less than half that price on eBay) has a blue LED which illuminates while charging and turns off when not charging. As others have said, the phone stops charging when it hits 100% and then charging starts up again at around 95%.

My N4 never turns completely off while connected to the charger, whether wireless Qi or plugged in with the factory power brick. Sleep mode, yes; power off, no.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I just talked to a google support representative. They told me that the Nexus 4 will turn off (completely shutdown the phone) by itself after charging 100% to prevent overcharging. I find it kind of strange that this kind of feature was build in. :confused: I was even sure if the support representative was giving me some BS answer.... I mean people do use the alarm feature while charging the phone.

SpecC

My N4 does not exhibit this behavior. I charge every night and when I wake up every morning it's always sitting there on waiting for the day.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

SpecC

Welcome to the forum!

Either you misunderstood what the rep said/meant, or the rep had no clue what they were talking about. The only thing you can count on with 100% certainty is that you can never count on anything that a CS rep says from any company. It's an entry level position filled by the most inexperienced personal that do little more than read from their computer screen. More than half the time, they've looked up the wrong problem anyway.

The N4 does NOT turn itself off after it reaches 100% charge.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

^this.

I no longer trust anything I read in an email or even in a chat session. There are times when the language barrier is just too great. I need to talk to a living person with many mission critical support issues. Can't wait for the Google brick and mortar store!

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It is highly unlikely this is the case and maybe you just misunderstood. Imagine countless people wanting to charge their phone while they sleep and then being late to work in the morning because their phone had switched off meaning their alarm never went off

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Probably not me. I don't know what the alarm feature is while charging the phone.

He meant people use their device as their alarm clock and it would be extremely problematic if the device shut off while charging overnight. I do, and it's never happended on any of my devices.

ProdigyRiot

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
He meant people use their device as their alarm clock and it would be extremely problematic if the device shut off while charging overnight. I do, and it's never happended on any of my devices.

I know exactly what he is talking about. My Nexus 4 has been doing this for the last 2 days. I have only had the phone for a week. For the first few days I would leave it charging over night and had no issues whatsoever, however, now it will completely shut off when I awake.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I know exactly what he is talking about. My Nexus 4 has been doing this for the last 2 days. I have only had the phone for a week. For the first few days I would leave it charging over night and had no issues whatsoever, however, now it will completely shut off when I awake.

If this is true, something else is going on with your phones. Overheating would cause your phone to shut down and I'm guessing that's what's happening. I don't know an app offhand to monitor your cpu temp, but I bet someone here can help you out and you can run a test overnight. I'm willing to bet you'll see a spike before the shutdown. In that case, rma your phones and get new ones. This should not be happening.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If this is true, something else is going on with your phones. Overheating would cause your phone to shut down and I'm guessing that's what's happening. I don't know an app offhand to monitor your cpu temp, but I bet someone here can help you out and you can run a test overnight. I'm willing to bet you'll see a spike before the shutdown. In that case, rma your phones and get new ones. This should not be happening.

Also, if you have a case on try it without. The case might be the tipping point for any overheating too.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Well, dude, that's a bummer, but I didn't quote you:p Perhaps you should RMA. I would. That'd be a major issue for me.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you have a case on try it without. The case might be the tipping point for any overheating too.

Good call. At least as far as a potential way to find the problem. Try a cpu monitor app overnight with and without a case. If a case is causing overheating I would certainly RMA

falcor87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm having an issue with this. The charge doesn't seem to come back at 95%, over the past month I have been waking up with anywhere from 50% to 100% of a charge. Anyone else experiencing this?

ProdigyRiot

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I will try it tonight without the case. My father has the same exact phone and case and he has never have had this problem. I will try tonight without the case. Also, maybe i should mention that the first nights when it was charging perfectly normal overnight, i had it on "night mode" via the clock/alarm. And it was still charging with no powering off. I will keep you all posted. Thank you for your advice :)

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm having an issue with this. The charge doesn't seem to come back at 95%, over the past month I have been waking up with anywhere from 50% to 100% of a charge. Anyone else experiencing this?

This seems like a bigger problem than just the charge not coming back at 95%. Even then you shouldn't be losing that much while the phone is idling overnight.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae