Google Support says charging a Nexus 4 for longer than 2 hrs will kill the battery

Alvin Lin

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Nope. As far as i seen it. To get a 2 hour charge to 100% would mean my phone was about 30% charged still. I have had many smartphones I leave charging over night. Guess what... They all still run me a good 15 hours while playing games and surfing on the internet.

Also. as your battery capacity increase the charge time will increase. I am not sure if the Super charge system(3x) on a computer would be able to charge your phone faster. You would need to take a good look into that one.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
That's kinda silly. To set alarm timers on your phone to remind u to unplug it like someone suggested. I don't want to live my life around my phone and its charging needs. I mean, what is it now, a puppy?! Give me a break. Or, here's another option: buy a timer, plug it into your socket. Set the timer for roughly 3-4 hours before u wake up. Plug your phone charger into the timer. This way, even though your phone is plugged in, it won't start receiving a charge until the last half of your night. But if u gotta leave in a hurry because your boss called you in early, or your on a standby schedule...oh wow, the whole cell phone charging system has become far too integrated in my life. I'll just go back to charging it at night for 8-10. Sheesh!!

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The tech supp reps statement is being misunderstood. The phones have intelligent charging circuits that taper off charging current as they reach 100%.

I think the rep was saying that if OP's phone would not charge in 2 hrs consistently, there's a defect he can return it for.

(wow, 3 the pages of ranting on a misunderstanding. amazing.)

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My nexus4 takes 4hrs to get full charged .is that a problem with battery guys .do let me know

What charger and cable? From what to 100,... 20%? 35%?

I can see from 5% to 100 in up to 4 hrs. Be sure to use the oem charger, not crappy 500mA jobby left over from another phone, 'kay? ;)

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That really doesn't make sense. All modern smartphones charge the same way in that if they are plugged in they charge to 100%, then stop charing for awhile, then charge again. thats why sometimes you can unplug your smartphone after it is charge and it shows 98 or 99 % instead of 100%. I can't imagine the Nexus 4 is any different.

Like many of us my Nexus 4's battery life is poor. I've read many threads about this but I figured I'd see what Google Support's "official" answer was. Here's what they wrote:

There can't be any truth to this, right? Modern phones have really smart charging systems to manage their super-dense super-finicky batteries so overcharging shouldn't be possible, correct? I mean if it were, I suspect the phone might burst or catch fire.

apu2009

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
That really doesn't make sense. All modern smartphones charge the same way in that if they are plugged in they charge to 100%, then stop charing for awhile, then charge again. thats why sometimes you can unplug your smartphone after it is charge and it shows 98 or 99 % instead of 100%. I can't imagine the Nexus 4 is any different.

So I leave it charging overnight, then I wake up and it's 100%. I lay in bed while using the phone (still plugged in) and it actually starts draining battery (got it from 100 to 97). It's normal behavior for this to happen?

adam514

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My 2 cents: use your phone, charge it and use. I use my phone all day, i'm usually down to 15-30% by the end of the day (so unplugged from 730am and plugged in at midnight) right before I sleep. I wake up 7.5 hours later with it plugged in and repeat (work, school etc use it often). Every now and then I need a bump charge during the day but 95% of the time this is how my phone gets used and charged after. With the minor hiccup here and there, my battery life is fine and i've owned my N4 for 5 months. What should be the simplest process of owning a phone is turned into this complex battery saving topic which has been beaten to death in 2 pages. Have problems with the battery? Un-install recent apps, close programs you're not using, UPDATE YOUR APPS as needed and if all else fails reset the phone or send it back if you feel there's nothing else to do. Guarantee one of the first few solutions will help. Worked for my 2 of my buddies!

apu2009

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
My 2 cents: use your phone, charge it and use. I use my phone all day, i'm usually down to 15-30% by the end of the day (so unplugged from 730am and plugged in at midnight) right before I sleep. I wake up 7.5 hours later with it plugged in and repeat (work, school etc use it often). Every now and then I need a bump charge during the day but 95% of the time this is how my phone gets used and charged after. With the minor hiccup here and there, my battery life is fine and i've owned my N4 for 5 months. What should be the simplest process of owning a phone is turned into this complex battery saving topic which has been beaten to death in 2 pages. Have problems with the battery? Un-install recent apps, close programs you're not using, UPDATE YOUR APPS as needed and if all else fails reset the phone or send it back if you feel there's nothing else to do. Guarantee one of the first few solutions will help. Worked for my 2 of my buddies!

This is pretty much how I use it, except I need more bumps during the day because Ingress is a very well known battery-hogging app.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well the average battery degrades in overall charge capacity by 15% per year of use. I have never heard of overcharging a battery destroying it. Android has a cutoff for the charger anyway. The phone will only truly charge to 95-98% and then cut the current to a trickle to prevent damage. The OS will report 100% but that is false.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
That really doesn't make sense. All modern smartphones charge the same way....
Nope they sure don't. Some will charge at a max of 500mA, others at 700mA (BB iirc), others at 1000mA. Further complicated by each phone model's charging circuit and Battery capacity (presuming we're comparing apples to apples, LiPoly batts). So some phones may charge at a different rate than others.

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
The tech supp reps statement is being misunderstood. The phones have intelligent charging circuits that taper off charging current as they reach 100%.

I think the rep was saying that if OP's phone would not charge in 2 hrs consistently, there's a defect he can return it for.

(wow, 3 the pages of ranting on a misunderstanding. amazing.)

One thing I've noticed is if Daydream is enabled, depending on the settings, charging can take longer. With Beautiful Widgets installed and Daydream set to display the BW imagery, charging takes significantly longer.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
One thing I've noticed is if Daydream is enabled, depending on the settings, charging can take longer. With Beautiful Widgets installed and Daydream set to display the BW imagery, charging takes significantly longer.
Well of course. Screen is on, CPU is doing a little work. Same as if you had the screen on, looking at a Play Book title.

I would hope this isn't a shocker for very many people. Click Settings | Battery, you'll probably see the screen is one of the biggest power drains.

hk1110

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i have bought a lg nexus 4 but did not use it....i kept it in the shelf and as days passing the battery level is decreasing 85% to 45% in one day...i dint even touch the phone...what is the solution?please reply!!

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Absolute bull crap. I only charge my phone when I sleep. I unplugged it when I wake up. That's a good 7 hour charge everyday for 6 months. I have good battery still.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App