Google Support says charging a Nexus 4 for longer than 2 hrs will kill the battery

MobilePOE

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having an issue with the phone always going to USB charging (which takes forever) even though it's plugged into the included charger (or any other charger with enough juice, have tested with different USB cables as well)?
Sometimes I've managed to get it to accept it as AC charging by plugging it in twice... but it's a hit or miss :/

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
There can't be any truth to this, right? Modern phones have really smart charging systems to manage their super-dense super-finicky batteries so overcharging shouldn't be possible, correct? I mean if it were, I suspect the phone might burst or catch fire.
My battery life is about the same now as when I first bought the phone. And my phone lives in the charger.

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
i have bought a lg nexus 4 but did not use it....i kept it in the shelf and as days passing the battery level is decreasing 85% to 45% in one day...i dint even touch the phone...what is the solution?please reply!!
Too many processes and apps run on background. Phone doesn't go to deep sleep. Install Wakelock to see if phone goes to sleep.
Switch off background data for all google processes and your apps, turn off notifications (keep only ones you really need). Delete widgets.
It should help. My N4 loses about 20%/24hrs now (when not in use), still high, hope to improve it yet.

Last edited:

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I really like the fact that they said you could send your phone to them in the replace it with a new phone. I think that's super cool but my phone just charge is fine I leave it turned off and charging overnight every night always like most other people

Posted via Android Central App

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having an issue with the phone always going to USB charging (which takes forever) even though it's plugged into the included charger (or any other charger with enough juice, have tested with different USB cables as well)?
Sometimes I've managed to get it to accept it as AC charging by plugging it in twice... but it's a hit or miss :/
Sounds like a hardware issue....

// Tapatalk 2 on Nexus 4. //

Cadster

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had two Nexus 4 (one replaced a faulty one) and neither would complete a full charge in 2 hours so please don't think yours is faulty if it doesn't. You should expect approx 2.25 hours to get from 0% to 90% (but obviously less if your start point is higher) the battery will then charge at a 'trickle' rate to prevent damage for final 10%. This will take approx another 30 mins so 2.75 hours total, but this will increase progressively as the battery gets older, I would say maybe 3.5 is not uncommon, but over 4 hours and there is quite possibly a battery issue.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for supporting what I said. Goto "Summary of Do?s and Don?ts" to see the 20%-80% reference.

I guess being the guy that posts the links makes you more knowledgeable. I yield to your authority.
Keep in mind those sites are about batteries in general, not specifically about mobile phones. The 20-80% is if you want to optimize battery life over years and years, much longer than the average lifespan of a cell phone. It's much more important in stuff like hybrid or electric cars, for example. For a cell phone it's no where near as big of a deal and anecdotal evidence suggests that many people just charge overnight without any problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney