iphone 4 to nexus 4 or why i threw my nexus 4 last night

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
It rang and the phone symbol just flashed there on the screen like it was making fun of me or something. I cussed and swore before i totally lost it and chucked the N4 across the dining room b/c i couldn't figure out how to answer the incoming call. Its been a week since i began the transition and the learning curve anxiety just overcame me i guess. Im glad i bought a case and screen saver the first day though b/c the phones unscathed.

Any help on this from other long time icrack users making the switch to a N4? Deep breaths maybe. Thanks.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Put finger on symbol. Swipe right toward the green phone to answer, left to the red phone to reject. I think down allows you to send a text message in response.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow - your learning curve would be greatly diminished if you just got anyone to sit next to you and use an android phone for 5 mins while you watched.

Bobinnv

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
That's funny - my N4 arrived yesterday, and I got my first call this morning, and like you, couldn't answer it. I think I just swiped up to turn on the phone, and never saw the phone icons. My years of iPhone training weren't of any help :)

But my voice mail worked just fine, and now I know what to do in the future..

acr456

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
You threw your phone because you didn't know how to answer it?? Sorry but does coming from an iPhone leave you that stupid? Please tell me this is a joke.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
That's funny - my N4 arrived yesterday, and I got my first call this morning, and like you, couldn't answer it. I think I just swiped up to turn on the phone, and never saw the phone icons. My years of iPhone training weren't of any help :)

But my voice mail worked just fine, and now I know what to do in the future..
It rang and the phone symbol just flashed there on the screen like it was making fun of me or something. I cussed and swore before i totally lost it and chucked the N4 across the dining room b/c i couldn't figure out how to answer the incoming call. Its been a week since i began the transition and the learning curve anxiety just overcame me i guess. Im glad i bought a case and screen saver the first day though b/c the phones unscathed.

Any help on this from other long time icrack users making the switch to a N4? Deep breaths maybe. Thanks.
How do you answer an iPhone? On the Android Central website there is a link to getting started (there's a link in your welcome email). I just found a guide there called Android for iPhone users. Sounds like you might want to download that. And welcome to the other side. You really are gonna love it here.:)

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I have also just gone from an iPhone 4 to a N4 and have received calls. Was there a learning curve there I missed?

Can only remember taking calls. Can't remember it being difficult or confusing?!

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I'd suggest anger management classes.

Before they start, go to youtube and search for things like "switching from iphone to android," or "how to use android phone," or "top android apps." When I migrated from Balckberry to Android, I found watching videos very helpful in quickly learning how to get around.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Throwing the thing was certainly an overreaction, but to be fair it's not a very self-explanatory operation. When I first updated my Nexus S from GB to ICS, it took me most of the time I had to answer the first call I received before I figured it out. Even in Android, prior to 4.0 you answered or rejected by pulling on "tabs" that sprouted from the sides of the screen. Suddenly being required to drag an icon from the center was counter-intuitive, particularly since none of the actual action targets showed up until I "grabbed" the icon. Not everyone is so quick to pick up on that sort of thing, particularly when they're accustomed to a different method of operation. It really should be demonstrated the first time a call is received or something.

In short, don't let the haters get to you, itic. I sympathize. Just try to keep that temper in check and you'll be fine. :p

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
On an iPhone, you get two buttons, answer / ignore. You can also hit the sleep button to send it to voicemail.

I don't think it was too hard to figure out on my N4 how to answer a call, I just slid the lock to the right, it made sense to me. I wouldn't expect the two phones to be alike in any way.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Lots of phones answer slightly different. I think you may have overreacted a wee bit. Patience with any new device whether it's a phone or computer is pretty standard.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

shahali

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site

Hello fellow iphone 4 User. I know what you are going through. I LOVE the iPhone 4 - The most revolutionary and inspiring phone and an icon - it just WORKS... And bloody good battery life. Nothing could compare. Android.. pah... what do they know.....

Now Being a geek i dabbled into android around 2.0 time and it was rubbish comapred to iOS 3.0. Now at 4.0 its on par if not better.

When i changed to the Nexus 4 i was getting withdrawls.. Seriously, infact i gave my iphone 4 to my wife, but i'd still be using it to browse..! Here is what you need to ACCEPT:

1) Android 4.0 is not iphone... sounds stupid but once you accept this things get better
2) YOU CAN CUSTOMISE to feel more iphone if you want. I use CHOMPSMS instead of stock calender, Jorte calender instead of SaiSuke, Catch instead of notes...and there are many more things. This way you still get the feel of iphone but the power of Android. Seriously, the android versions seem much better.
3) ACCEPT SOME THINGS on iphone are SUPERIOR BUT MANY other things on android is much much better. Fact of life.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is that you have'nt bought and android phone... you have bought a NEXUS. An android phone from other manufacturers get updated very late.. nexus is always 1st up.

Lastly.. give it time and you wont regret it. iPhone OS now looks so out dated. To me prior to 4.0 android was not as good as iphone for simple users like me, but now its just awesome. the more you read, the better it gets. I've unlocked and rooted it just for fun. I could replace stock Rom to Paranoid Android .. but i need a Hard as Rock solid device so staying stock for now.

ALSO not sure if its me but the Playstore looks phenomenal compared to appstore.

Give it time ... and remember you are not alone.. i too was having withdrawals....! Now when i go back to iOS i can clearly see how limited it was..!

Thanks

Shah

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Any help on this from other long time icrack users making the switch to a N4? Deep breaths maybe
Yes, deep breaths help. In the scheme of life, these things are not important enough to become frustrated over. And, before you heave your phone (or any other expensive device) next time, asking yourself how even more frustrated you will be if you now have to spend $500 on a new device because I lacked self control might be enough to instill that necessary restraint.

I opine that the the divide between between the two camps (iOS and non-iOS) is partly based on the level of a personal characteristic I call "intellectual curiosity". Clearly, if you find a device so frustrating as to feel compelled to throw it across the room, perhaps you have the wrong device. I have run across individuals who should not even own cell phones or computers for this same reason.

But, you have avoided the bigger problem too many stumble over. Too many people, after having gotten frustrated, would have quit, or ignored their inability to answer the phone (until it rang the next time), or just stare at a device expecting or hoping that someone will walk into the room, hold their hand and provide them with a step-by-step instructions (written at a third-grade level) on how to do everything.

But you have taken the wiser path. You have not waited for the next phone call to suddently realize (again) that answering a nexus4 phone is not the intuitive action that you had hoped it would be. You realize that there are resources available, such as the internet, forums, user manuals. You sought those resources out. You might even experiment a bit by having a friend call you, so that you can practice, explore, and be sure you know how to perform the necessary and basic functions. You figure it out.

Pretty soon, you will find yourself wondering "how do I do that"? Then, your curiousity will drive you to find the answer. Then you will finding yourself doing things on your phone that would not even have occured to you earlier. After a few years of applying that curiousity to other parts of your life, you will be able to sit back in quiet confidence, knowing that you are smarter than most people around you.

BTW, regarding anwering a phone call on the nexus4, I find it interesting that other manufacturers modify many of the top level interfaces for such actions. Do you suppose that they also find the basic android interface for this action to be less intuitive than they hope?

Andy Bell

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I came from iPhone to nexus 4 and knew how to answer it straight away...........without reading the manual. It's not really all that different.

Red to hang up..........green to answer...simples.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
You threw your phone because you didn't know how to answer it?? Sorry but does coming from an iPhone leave you that stupid? Please tell me this is a joke.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.

It seems like it does! I've always said to everyone with an iphone that iphones are for dumb people and android is for clever people for the simple fact when I use a iphone I feel violated in think Apple think I might be a dumb cun* who can't use a phone! I mean how more simple do you want a phone to be :(

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello fellow iphone 4 User. I know what you are going through. I LOVE the iPhone 4 - The most revolutionary and inspiring phone and an icon - it just WORKS... And bloody good battery life. Nothing could compare. Android.. pah... what do they know.....

Now Being a geek i dabbled into android around 2.0 time and it was rubbish comapred to iOS 3.0. Now at 4.0 its on par if not better.

When i changed to the Nexus 4 i was getting withdrawls.. Seriously, infact i gave my iphone 4 to my wife, but i'd still be using it to browse..! Here is what you need to ACCEPT:

1) Android 4.0 is not iphone... sounds stupid but once you accept this things get better
2) YOU CAN CUSTOMISE to feel more iphone if you want. I use CHOMPSMS instead of stock calender, Jorte calender instead of SaiSuke, Catch instead of notes...and there are many more things. This way you still get the feel of iphone but the power of Android. Seriously, the android versions seem much better.
3) ACCEPT SOME THINGS on iphone are SUPERIOR BUT MANY other things on android is much much better. Fact of life.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is that you have'nt bought and android phone... you have bought a NEXUS. An android phone from other manufacturers get updated very late.. nexus is always 1st up.

Lastly.. give it time and you wont regret it. iPhone OS now looks so out dated. To me prior to 4.0 android was not as good as iphone for simple users like me, but now its just awesome. the more you read, the better it gets. I've unlocked and rooted it just for fun. I could replace stock Rom to Paranoid Android .. but i need a Hard as Rock solid device so staying stock for now.

ALSO not sure if its me but the Playstore looks phenomenal compared to appstore.

Give it time ... and remember you are not alone.. i too was having withdrawals....! Now when i go back to iOS i can clearly see how limited it was..!

Thanks

Shah

I read revolutionary and stopped reading!!! My arse the iphone is revolutionary!!!! Hahahahahaha mate you must be joking the iphone is a piece of made for dumb ***

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance