{Fixed} Nexus 4 doesn't show up in my computer as storage device

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Windows 7 x64 Ent with latest updates, google USB Driver installed.
My phone appears in device manager as an Android Device, but not under Portable Devices, and nothing in My Computer in windows explorer.

xPl6A.png

I have tried in my laptop with the same windows etc, and it works fine there; in that case, the "Android Device" entry is missing, but the phone appears instead under Portable Devices and I can access it through windows explorer as if it was another drive.

With the above said, I discard any issues with either the cable or the phone setup.

Trying the following guide How to Use Android ADB Command Line Tool | All About Web & Mobile Application Development
when i type "adb devices" it doesn't find the Nexus:

XevJw.png

Any ideas what could be going on? I've tried many things I found in these and other forums, enabling debug USB, switch MPT/PTP modes, using "Naked" drivers, to no avail.

Last edited:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 doesn't show up in my computer as storage device

Sounds like a driver conflict issue. Have you tried this:

2. Drivers If you are on a Windows system (linux and mac need not bother with these): Universal Naked Driver 0.72.zip
Warning: Uninstall any previous driver package's you may have installed and also manually remove drivers by attaching your phone and going to Windows device manager and right click the entry for your phone and select "Uninstall" on the next prompt make sure to select "Delete the driver software for this device" then hit OK and reboot before installing these drivers
HUGE thanks to 1wayjonny at xda for these drivers and instructions!!

It came from the unlock and root thread from here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-rooting-roms-hacks/224861-guide-nexus-4-unlock-root.html

Aliandren

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Are you using the nexus 4 cable that came with your phone, or some other micro-usb cable? On my N7 I have found that not all micro-usb to usb cables are created equally. All will charge, but not all will allow data view/transfer.

Also, if you have device encryption on you will need to unlock your phone before you can connect.

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Yup tried Naked drivers already as specified in the main post, same result.

Using the original cable.

I have encryption on, tried with the phone unlocked.

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Fixed it! I'm not sure how though.. as I'm sure I tried the same before, and it would say the device cannot start..

1. I uninstalled
  2. Reinstalled with Naked drivers
  3. Opened device properties, update driver
  4. Pointed to naked driver folder
  5. Picked "Let me pick from ..."
  6. Chose "MTP USB Device", from "Standard MTP Device" category

I don't know why this worked now, I tried this before and it would take a while..20-30 seconds and then say the device could not start, but now it works somehow.

XSLCocs.png

Last edited:

Melter Martin

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

I think we had the same problem..
It is happen when I install my nexus 4 driver to my pc,
turning off usb debugging mode should do the trick~

Jtmorris

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I FOUND A FIX for the Nexus 4 not connecting to a PC via usp as MTP:

My first Nexus 4 was not an issue at all - it just worked.
I got a warranty replacement N4 and it would not connect as MTP.
Support was idiotic and not helpful and sent me a different N4.
Upon receiving that one, it also wouldn't connect.

Here is what fixed it (on Windows 7 - it may work on Windows 8):

1. Plug phone in and let it install drivers as usual
2. If it hasn't worked, open device manager
3. Find your Android device and right click on the ADB device and choose un-install
4. The box that pops up, check the box to un-install drivers.
5. Unplug the phone and plug it back in. It will reload drivers. (It will now show up in device manager under portable devices rather than Android)

Now you should be able to access your phone through file manager!

I really hope this helps many of you!

Jayadev Swain

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

I had a Nexus 4 with its cable. And then I tried to connect another Nexus 4 with the same cable but my PC wasn't able to recognize the new drivers. So, I tried it with the cable which came with the new Nexus 4 and it connected.

No idea why this should happen but it worked!

andre21051990

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
cara obrigado pelo seu comentario que vc coloco . aparecia como o meu {Fixo} Nexus 4 n?o aparece no meu computador como dispositivo de armazenamento.. gradece

dude thanks for your comment that u put. appeared as my Fixed {4} Nexus does not appear on my computer as a storage device ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Jean-Patrick Leger

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

So weird that i created an account just to reply about that thread :

I use to devel with both Nexus 4 and 7, few weeks ago, my N7 started to not be detected as a MTP device anymore. I tried the driver update as mentioned above with no improvment. I tried with the Original N7 USB cable : WORKING AT FIRST ATTEMPT. So i got rid of the BBerry USB cable i was using since...

thank you all for your help.

JP.

brian johnston

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
This is what worked for me.
1.Uninstall nexus device from device manager
2.Unplug device and restart computer
3.Download the Microsoft media feature pack for your version of windows (Microsoft media feature pack windows 8.1 as an example)
4.Install the feature pack update
5.Reconnect your device
All done at lease it was for me.
hope this helps others because i was two days looking for a fix.

Last edited:

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I used a program called USBDeview, removed all USB drivers listed as belonging to Google or LG.

Restarted my CPU, plugged in my N4 and viola it recognized my N4 as an MTP device and I was able see it as a portable device.

Dan

Mikey Young

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Are you using the nexus 4 cable that came with your phone, or some other micro-usb cable? On my N7 I have found that not all micro-usb to usb cables are created equally. All will charge, but not all will allow data view/transfer.

Oh dear I was desperately searching online... researching drivers, cursing windows 8 etc. It was the short spare cable I got with my Qi charger that I thought would be perfect for my laptop I was using. Swapped it out and problem solved thank you. Love a simple solution.