Google's 'Wont let you hang-up' feature

Frielfan

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I finally allowed my provider to persuade me to own a smart phone, being new to the whole smart phone world, I was naiive enough to thing that the 'smart' in smart-phone was the 'really clever' meaning rather than the 'painful' meaning - I now know its the latter.

They send me a nexus 4 as it 'fits my needs'. Unfortunately it doesn't quite, as one of my needs from a phone is that when I make a phone call, I'd like the option to hang-up afterwards, in the same way as when I buy a car I want one with brakes. That work. Every time.

So im creating contacts and adding pictures to them (this isn't smart, you could do this in windows 95) and being the ten-thumbed golem I am, I accidentally press a contact and the candy-crush device then proceeds to turn its screen off and call them. So there I am calling someone i dont want to call with the screen that is supposed to contain the bits that 'put me in control' helpfully turned off so I have no facility to hang up.

I wave the phone around, I press the off button, I tap the screen, jab the screen, hit the screen and finally repeatedly punch the screen and this useless piece of crap is still merrily doing what the hell it likes. Admittedly Im impressed that Google made a device that can take quite a bit of punishment while its screwing up your social life.

My question is this - If I want to hang up a call and throwing the Nexus 4 at a wall will only get me ejected from the premises, are there any accessories that I can use to hit the phone with in order to make it perform its primary function properly?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I know how frustrating that can be, it happens to me every now and then.

On the Nexus 4, as with all other similar smart phones, there is a small sensor that detects the proximity of objects to the phone, and this is what Android uses to decide whether or not it thinks the phone is being held up to someone's face. And it definitely doesn't always work right. There are two ways that I've been able to wake my phone's screen after it wants to stay off during a phone call.

1. Press the power once, and give the screen a good three or four seconds to respond and turn on. Pressing the power button twice in quick succession sometimes results in the screen remaining off.

2. Place your hand over the top half of the Nexus 4, covering the front-facing camera and speaker grill. Remove your hand, simulating the action of taking your phone away from your head during a call.​

I've had devices with defective proximity sensors and ambient light sensors before as well, and I've had to have the devices replaced. You may be in a similar situation.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector on your phone? Those often interfere with the proximity sensor, try removing it for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector on your phone? Those often interfere with the proximity sensor, try removing it for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Funny how many people get caught with this situation with a poorly made screen protector and think their phone is broken. :confused:

Last edited:

Frielfan

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Why talk when you can send a text.
Because its easier to talk if you have more than a dozen words to say, and anybody who isn't Rain Man can speak and listen much faster than they can type and read.

Didn't think anyone still used a phone to make calls on
That is what a telephone's primary function is. If its unable to perform the very task it is supposed to accomplish then the device is crap.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Because its easier to talk if you have more than a dozen words to say, and anybody who isn't Rain Man can speak and listen much faster than they can type and read.

That is what a telephone's primary function is. If its unable to perform the very task it is supposed to accomplish then the device is crap.

I was reading something a few days ago that said that data consumption was the biggest use of cellphones nationwide as of this year and that cell phone providers better prepare because it's only going to increase.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site

You need to try what Patrick posted above. Place a call to someone or to another phone of yours and use a mirror. If your screen does not turn off when putting up to your ear, and/or back on when removing it, you need a new phone. Proximity sensors fail I've seen it happen, yours might be bad.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I was reading something a few days ago that said that data consumption was the biggest use of cellphones nationwide as of this year and that cell phone providers better prepare because it's only going to increase.

Doesn't change the fact that 1) it is still a phone, and 2) that is what the user was trying to use. Your first comment was pretty unnecessary and didn't contribute anything constructive to the thread.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You need to try what Patrick posted above. Place a call to someone or to another phone of yours and use a mirror. If your screen does not turn off when putting up to your ear, and/or back on when removing it, you need a new phone. Proximity sensors fail I've seen it happen, yours might be bad.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

You don't even need to use a mirror. The proximity sensor is in the top left of the handset you'll see 2 little dots in the otherwise black top left corner. That is the light sensor and the proximity sensor. Make a call, then cover that part of the display with your fingers. It should turn off when you cover it, and the screen should come back on when you uncover it. If it doesn't respond within a second either way you likely have a faulty proximity sensor.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You must be on about the smart feature that turns the screen off to save a little battery and also stop you from pressing random buttons while the phone is up against your face....

You have most likely stuck a cheap protector on the phone that covers the proximity sensors. Remove them and try again. Also, I recommend checking the power button ends call option so at least you can end the call with the power button if it still doesnt work.

Frielfan

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
You must be on about the smart feature that turns the screen off to save a little battery and also stop you from pressing random buttons while the phone is up against your face....

You have most likely stuck a cheap protector on the phone that covers the proximity sensors. Remove them and try again. Also, I recommend checking the power button ends call option so at least you can end the call with the power button if it still doesnt work.

I dont have a protector other than the plastic film that it was delivered with , I will however try your suggestion about the power button ending the call option, that seems to make the most sense. Thanks for the tip.

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
OP - your post made me laugh. I could picture your "tap the screen/hit the screen/punch the screen" sequence and I laughed hard. Considering I'm nursing cracked ribs, it was painful but well done. Best OP I've read in a while.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
This obviously isn't a real issue, otherwise the OP would be working with us to solve the problem rather than antagonizing everyone that posts in this thread.

However, bit of advice: remove the plastic screen protectors that shipped with the device as they are utilized solely for shipping purposes.

I'm no cop, but I am part of the neighborhood watch...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol