Nexus 4 tethering success stories?

chocobread

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been very lucky at tethering:
I got my Nexus 4 from play store and got the T-mobile unlimited 4G plan (no cap), without tethering plan. The phone is rooted with stock 4.2.2
I have been searching all over for ways to tether, but failed to make any of them work properly:
- I use firefox with useragent switcher.
- I've tried Wifi tether rooted app, but only macbook can detect it (under wifi device). Windows and android tablet does not detect it. I've also tried with Hotspot shield and onavo extend app.
- I've tried 1-click tether, clockwork tether, foxifi, barnacle, none of them worked for me.
- If I use the Nexus built-in tether function, Windows can connect to it, but it is limited (I've waited 30mins, it stays limited).

Anyone successfully got tethering working on their phone? Please share your method! Thank you! :D

Casey Rendon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been very lucky at tethering:
I got my Nexus 4 from play store and got the T-mobile unlimited 4G plan (no cap), without tethering plan. The phone is rooted with stock 4.2.2
I have been searching all over for ways to tether, but failed to make any of them work properly:
- I use firefox with useragent switcher.
- I've tried Wifi tether rooted app, but only macbook can detect it (under wifi device). Windows and android tablet does not detect it. I've also tried with Hotspot shield and onavo extend app.
- I've tried 1-click tether, clockwork tether, foxifi, barnacle, none of them worked for me.
- If I use the Nexus built-in tether function, Windows can connect to it, but it is limited (I've waited 30mins, it stays limited).

Anyone successfully got tethering working on their phone? Please share your method! Thank you! :D

I've never had a problem with the build-in Wi-Fi tethering. It sounds like the problem might be a configuration with your computer's copy of Windows. Did you try using a different security type (Open, WPA, WPA2)?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've activated the tethering feature on my N4 and have been able to tether to my MacBooks and iPhone. I've had to leave the security open though but that's not a problem for where I would be using it.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I also get 'limited' when tethering to Windows 8. I haven't figure it out why. Ubuntu tethers fine, as well as Android tablet. I was using built-in tethering.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Try using the Windows option to repair the connection, that always works for me.

Thanks.........I thought I posted, but I figured out what I was doing wrong -- I didn't have data enabled on my N4 in the phone settings. Once I toggled it on I could tether fine using stock android to any device or platform.

rubikMD

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I got caught using Firefox 20.0.1 and am now using Chrome only :) Firefox kept redirecting me to T-Mobile's tethering block site after I downloaded a 33MB file at ~250Kbps. Outrageous! :) USB tethering my Nexus 4 on T-Mobile's $30 prepaid. T-Mobile may have used packet sniffing on me

rayzaname

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I've been using SwitchPro Widget to toggle WiFi tethering on my T-Mobile Nexus 4 without issue. I can use hundreds of MB's undetected on my iPad or MacBook. It won't even log the data usage on my account. Maybe I'm lucky, but this also worked on my VZW Galaxy Nexus.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago my DSL went out. I started using my N4 to Tether to a MB. I used it for a few hours and then fell asleep leaving the computer on still tethered to the phone. When I woke up, I forgot that the phone was still tethering and use it like that a few more hours all on T-Mobile.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... It won't even log the data usage on my account. Maybe I'm lucky, but this also worked on my VZW Galaxy Nexus.
Not even sure how this is possible....

I've tethered a Chromebook, Nexus 7, and iPod Touch to my stock Nexus 4, no problem. Bluetooth and wifi (though bt sucked for significant data needs). When i later logged into tmobile's support site there was an annunciation that my current phone was "incompatible" with my plan and would i please call customer service to address the matter? LMFAO Yeah, sure. Right. :p

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

wildmangk

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I got caught using Firefox 20.0.1 and am now using Chrome only :) Firefox kept redirecting me to T-Mobile's tethering block site after I downloaded a 33MB file at ~250Kbps. Outrageous! :) USB tethering my Nexus 4 on T-Mobile's $30 prepaid. T-Mobile may have used packet sniffing on me

Whats wrong with using firefox? You mean FoxFi?

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Tethered my N4 with W7 laptop this weekend. Great speed! Was almost as fast as my cable at home. Easily watched HD Slingbox. Got email from T-Mobile saying to activate tethering at their website to avoid problems. On $70 unlimited prepaid plan. Still using N4 w/o problems but not tethering as of now.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
.. "to avoid problems" . On $70 unlimited prepaid plan. Still using N4 w/o problems but not tethering as of now.

Dear tmobile : please stop threatening customers, to avoid problems.

Like bad press, cancellation, suits, etc. :mad:

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I switched to TMO a few months ago.
I have a Nexus 4, 7, Note 2, GS3, One S and One X+.
Id like to use the Nexus 4 as my primary device so i can use the wifi tethering with my Nexus 7 and maybe note 2 from time to time.
My question is, do i use the built in tethering option or do i use WiFi Tether for rooted users?
Does the built in tethering option on the Nexus 4 alert TMO that im tethering or use my allotted 500megs of tethering? or since its a Nexus is that a stand alone feature that just uses the normal phone data?
Im on a business plan with unlimited 4G data, no throttling. It also comes with 500 megs of tethering, but i think all new plans do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nephalem42