Enter/Return key for text messages?

Julia Wu

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I tend to send longer texts, so having a return key (to go to the next line) to separate parts of my texts is really nice. However, I can't seem to find one on this phone...why? It appears with any other text input (in notepad, for example) but when I'm writing a text message, where it ought to be is replaced by the smilies menu. I even called Google Play Device Support and they didn't know how to fix my problem...has anyone been able to enable a return or enter key for texts?

Peter Ferber

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
This simply does not work on galaxy note5 and others.

While true that I could not get this to work, no matter what I did, I did find a workaround.

Going into notepad, of which virtually any one provides a return key, I copied a "Return" key onto the clipboard. Then I went into the infernal, evil messenger program. Typing lines, I used the the "paste" command in place of the return key, which worked like a charm.

I was both pleased and angry. Nothing in the Messenger program inherently stops a return key from registering. The only hindrance is a lame choice on the part of some developers, who impose that choice non-negotiably.

asok 316

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I recently got the Nexus 6p, and I was stumped as well as bummed over the disappearance of the return key in messages.

So, I long-pressed the place (bottom right of the keyboard) where it should be and found it in a menu of other functions including one-handed mode and smileys.

No need for trickery or copying and pasting.

Hope this helps.

While true that I could not get this to work, no matter what I did, I did find a workaround.

Going into notepad, of which virtually any one provides a return key, I copied a "Return" key onto the clipboard. Then I went into the infernal, evil messenger program. Typing lines, I used the the "paste" command in place of the return key, which worked like a charm.

I was both pleased and angry. Nothing in the Messenger program inherently stops a return key from registering. The only hindrance is a lame choice on the part of some developers, who impose that choice non-negotiably.