What is phone settings menu?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I heard that you can acces your phone setting by inputting *#*#4636#*#* (I dont know if this is only tmobile, though)

Now, I did this and did start messing with the settings a bit to see how it worked. theres options like turn radio ona nd off (which is the carrier signal radio, choosing wether you only want GSm signals or something called WCDMA (which I think is 3G signals) and things like that. so I messed around a bit in that.

Honestly, I just wanted to get accustumed with it, but then I had a worry. Mulling around in the menu isnt going to mess my phone up accidently in anyway, right? like turning the signal bands on and off isnt going to screw up my reception, right?

I didnt want to mess around with the internals of my phone really. atleast thats going to mess it up on a hardware level.

Does anyone know if this menu syestem is safe to use utilize?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a reason why it can be accessed by dialing a code on the keypad and that is because it isn't intended to be used by the average user. You probably could change something that could affect the way your phone works.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I think there is a reason why it can be accessed by dialing a code on the keypad and that is because it isn't intended to be used by the average user. You probably could change something that could affect the way your phone works.

Hmm, we'll if anything else I can just do a factory restore, no. Just to be safe?

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Just turn your phone off then back on. It should default back to normal settings. If you are able to mke calls and get data you know you are ok. And yes, if you don't know what the well hidden settings do, either don't change them, or ask BEFORE changing them goofy!
The reason this magic code is out in the webiverse is because it allowed users to enable LTE on some networks. But a reboot would put the settings back, so I think a reboot will help you too.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Turn the phone off ...turn the phone on.

Should be fine after that, but make a call, and check that your data works (open a browser and load google.com) using data not wifi. If all works, you are good to go. Let us know

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Turn the phone off ...turn the phone on.

Should be fine after that, but make a call, and check that your data works (open a browser and load google.com) using data not wifi. If all works, you are good to go. Let us know

Should I do a restore just to be safe, or is that just excessive?

I mean, the phone makes calls, texts, and I can get on Internet, but I'm worried something got screwy with the setting and the signal won't be as strong or something.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It would be excessive, but if you would feel better, just do one. Then you get the fun of setting up your phone again! All those settings have reverted to default though.

Factory resets wont hurt your phone, if it means your peace of mind, go nuts. :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams