Terrible Gmail problems with Nexus 4

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Having come from iOS, I know that the mail client works seamlessly with gmail. I still have my iPhone and was using it to test against the Mexus 4. The iPhone got all emails instantly.

I may try Lightflow, thanks, but I need an audible notification that works.
Lightflow is audible as well.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for letting me know about your experience. So are you connected via WiFi when this happens? Does your phone automatically connect to your home WiFi network when you walk in the door?

Just wanted to chime in I've never experienced any such issues and my phone auto connects to the multiple WiFi networks I have saved. No notification issues with sceen off/wifi on etc etc. Perhaps you do have a defective device. Hope your new device is proper and I'm glad to hear of another pleasant experience with Google support. I really respect their general business model (outside of Android). It's really LG's fault if it's hardware, of course, but it's nice to see Google support the device as their own as they should.

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in I've never experienced any such issues and my phone auto connects to the multiple WiFi networks I have saved. No notification issues with sceen off/wifi on etc etc. Perhaps you do have a defective device. Hope your new device is proper and I'm glad to hear of another pleasant experience with Google support. I really respect their general business model (outside of Android). It's really LG's fault if it's hardware, of course, but it's nice to see Google support the device as their own as they should.
That's actually really encouraging. I am praying that the replacement device does not do this. After another 24 hours of experimenting, it's clear that I'm experiencing this. I tested the phone while I was out and about today. On 3G there are no issues, sending myself emails or having people send them to me. No issues on either the Gmail app, Gmail accessed using MailDroid, or using the built-in Android email app to access Hotmail. So it's only when I am at home and the phone connects to WiFi.

Having played with the phone for another 24 hours and added things like the unreal Swiftkey, I will never go back to an iPhone. Here's hoping that the next one I get is the right one!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that's true. There is a community of people discussing this issue at the links I provided, including a Google rep. I guess I'm just one of the unlucky ones. So are you saying that you run the phone off WiFi at home and the phone goes to sleep but continues to provide you with instant (or close enough) push notifications? Have you tested this?

Yup. I'm on wifi both at home and work, and have not had a problem getting Gmail in either location. Hopefully your new phone will fix these issues for you. It would certainly frustrate me if I were in your shoes.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Yup. I'm on wifi both at home and work, and have not had a problem getting Gmail in either location. Hopefully your new phone will fix these issues for you. It would certainly frustrate me if I were in your shoes.

I also have no problems with Gmail. Comes into a sleeping phone via wifi no problem. I use light flow for notifications. As an FYI I'm still running 4.2.1.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

mset

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's good news for me that you guys have phones that can go to sleep on your home WiFi connections and still receive instant push. Some people say 'Why does a 5 or 10 minutes delay matter to you anyway' but in my case I communicate with my clients using email as a sort of text message system (mainly because it's automatically archived in a way we're both familiar with) and people expect me to be responding within seconds.

I don't even need email to come into a sleeping phone. 99% of the time the phone will be awake. I just need it to be able to go to sleep then wake up and receive mail.

Another issue is this. I can't set it to never go to sleep because battery life isn't quite what I've come to expect (is it even possible to set the Nexus 4 to never go to sleep?). I have become used to going a day without having to charge.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie