Please Help: "Mediaserver" is draining my battery. Solutions?

VictorMikle

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
In my experience mediaserver power usage was caused by an app called "SleepBot". Un-installed the app, and phone was good as new. My 2c: you might have a malfuncitoning/dodgy app on you phone.

Nishant1988

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I was facing the same problem, since I started using maven music player. uninstalled it and went back to normal. so maybe it's fault of particular music player.

Concise2

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The Media Server battery drain issue started when I downloaded an Android news app called "BBC Mundo". I uninstalled it. Now the battery lasts two days as it did prior to installing this app and the majority battery usage is by the "Android operating system". Review the last Android apps you downloaded to find the culprit and uninstall it.

Eric Pernice

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Had this issue on my Nexus 7, and nothing I found in this (or any other) thread worked. It occurred to me the other day that I had developer mode enabled on my device, so I tried turning that off. Problem solved.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this will help, but I put all my media files in a single "media" folder. Every other folder (except dcim) contains a ".nomedia" file so they aren't scanned for media.

It also help that I only have a single app to play music and one for video and they don't run in the background.

adin finitum

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
my problem with the mediaserver went away when I did the following two things. Not sure which did it because I tried both of them at the same time:
First I cleared the media storage data, which is at Settings > applications> all > Media Storage > force stop, clear data, disable and reboot.

I then cleared the bsplayer cache...

I then re-enabled Media Storage and all was well.

I tend to suspect that it was a bad subtitle download or a bad thumbnail was causing the excessive load.... So I think it's +1 for the corrupted file theory....

Mitko Keramitciev

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I had the very same problem with Android 4.1.2. tablet. Tried everything found on several forums, and the result was - nothing worked. Mediaserver kept draining my battery.
Intuitively, I tried two things:
1. Unmounted SD card where I keep all sorts of media files.
2. Deleted downloaded PICTURES from "download" folder.

Result = problem SOLVED.

Then remounted the SD card - battery life still normal!

Conclusion: bloody mediaserver keeps scanning the downloaded pictures and drains the battery.

Simplicity is always the answer!

BattyMatty

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
My Mediaserver on my relatively new Sony Xperia M is using 89% of my battery, my phone is permanently on 'memory full' and is getting very hot, with the battery running down overnight. I never play games, rarely watch videos or listen to music (on SD card). I have deleted just about everything I can delete (apps, photos, etc), but nothing changes. This is a recent problem. Help!!:(

prosmaster

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, sorry to disturb u, I read urs or some1 else post about MEDIA SERVER drain battery life. I did what u suggest, want to send u screenshoot what i turned off, and tell me is this a good job. My English is not good and cant understand everything what u said. How to send photo here i am a new guy. thanx anyway

Lynnieks

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem but it's easily sorted. You need to delete everything off your device, allapps*and music. Check also for corrupt photos and videos. This I know is a pain but not as big a pain as media server. Then fully charge your device, this will reset your battery stats. If media server is gone brilliant! If not there's still a file on there causing problems so delete again and then recharge.

rafahoff

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem but it's easily sorted. You need to delete everything off your device, allapps*and music. Check also for corrupt photos and videos. This I know is a pain but not as big a pain as media server. Then fully charge your device, this will reset your battery stats. If media server is gone brilliant! If not there's still a file on there causing problems so delete again and then recharge.

I'm always having this issue too. For me the most frequent problem is related to corrupted gallery thumbnails files. I'm used to partially solve that installing an app called "Media Server Killer" which keep killing the media server service. But isn't a solution in fact, just a temporary way to recover your battery, because killing this service I've noted problems with other apps as Netflix casting to Chromecast and others.

It's a really pain keep looking for the corrupted file, one simple try is clear data and cache of Gallery app.

The worst part is even solving once, in the future the issue would insists to reappear, my case.

Good luck guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs