who here uses tmobile?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah - I thought that would be assumed that you get voice roaming with most everyone. No voice roaming with ST? That sucks.

From ST's FAQs:

What is Roaming?

Roaming occurs when a subscriber of one wireless service provider uses the facilities of another wireless service provider. Your Straight Talk phone will not roam.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2FTroubleshooting%2FRoaming%2F&token=ksTu3MYp

Admittedly however, the following seems to contradict the above:

9. ROAMING: ?Roaming? occurs when a subscriber of one wireless service provider uses the network facilities of another wireless service provider. Roaming usually occurs when a subscriber places or receives a call while outside of the network coverage area of their wireless service provider.

Service on the CDMA Network. If your Straight Talk Service is on the CDMA network, your Straight Talk phone will not roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk CDMA network coverage area.

Service on the GSM Network. If your Straight Talk Service is on the GSM network, your Straight Talk Wireless phone may roam when you are outside of the Straight Talk GSM network coverage area. When your Straight Talk GSM phone is roaming, Voice and SMS messaging will continue to be available to you at no additional charge. Mobile Web Services access will not be available while you are roaming outside of the Straight Talk GSM Network coverage area. When your GSM Straight Talk Phone is roaming, an indicator light on your handset may display the word "Roam" or "RM" on the screen while the phone is not in use.

International Roaming is strictly prohibited. Straight Talk does not offer international roaming or international long distance service. You will not be able to make or receive calls on your Straight Talk phone if you are traveling outside of the United States. Any attempt to place or receive a call on your Straight Talk phone while traveling outside of the United States could result is service deactivation and account termination without a refund for unused service.

(click Terms & Conditions at the bottom of any StraightTalk web page)

So, I am no longer certain...

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got the $30 plan to test out T-Mobile in my area and so far I am impressed. Granted it's only been a day so I haven't had a chance to test all the area around me, but the areas I have gone to have great speeds. At home I only get about 2-3Mbps but I have 45Mbps Wi-Fi so there's no reason to use cell service here. I did a few tests in different areas while out yesterday and got anywhere from 5 to 14Mbps. It's not as fast as Verizon's LTE obviously but it is about 2/5 the price I'm paying and that's with no texting.

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, TMO here I come. Found a buyer for my Lumia 920(getting $100 more than Gazelle was offering, always check Craigslist first!), right now in Hillcrest, San Diego getting 11-15 down and 3 up consistently. That's the "degraded" prepaid service, too. I was getting Sprint-esque speed with AT&T all morning, popped in the TMO SIM and immediately started getting those speeds. I think it may have something to do with AT&T's focus on their LTE network here because I know that was blazing fast, 20-50 down consistently when I had the iPhone 5.

iletired

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I rely HEAVILY on Google maps navigation on my current Nexus S on Sprint.

I want to make a move with to the N4 on TMO prepaid, but not sure if this could bite me in the azz with the no roaming and the spotty tmo data service in the "sticks".

Any thoughts?

Save the area you are traveling in as an "Offline Map" in Google Maps. Worked for me driving in rural PA last week.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
For those of you who rely on google maps -

If you only travel occasionally, you can always buy the T-mo prepaid plan, and pop in an att (like Net10) sim anytime you have to travel and just pay the att prices for that one month. Obviously this depends on how much you travel. If you need google maps in rural areas every month, obviously this solution won't help you.

Personally, I only travel 2-3 times per year. My plan is to go t-mobile $30 prepaid. I keep a net10 att sim lying around and I'll pop it in and pay for service if I know I'm going to need data in rural areas during a particular month. This isn't the most convenient thing in the world, but you have to decide how much money convenience is worth to you.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have a t mobile micro Sim (never activated...). How do I set it up on the $30 100 minute, 5gb plan? My Nexus will be here today.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
One more thing for people concerned about maps - you could buy an offline maps solution, such as navigon, and still come out way ahead.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
One more thing for people concerned about maps - you could buy an offline maps solution, such as navigon, and still come out way ahead.

CoPilot comes highly recommended from my brother. I have CoPilot Live which is the paid version because it was on sale a while back. But the free version, CoPilot GPS, appears to have a lot of functionality.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a t mobile micro Sim (never activated...). How do I set it up on the $30 100 minute, 5gb plan? My Nexus will be here today.
Follow the online activation instructions that came with the sim card. While at the tmo website, select the Monthly 4G plan you want.

Sent from my Google Neural Implant

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So I just insert the imei from the new nexus and their system will accept that?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
So I just insert the imei from the new nexus and their system will accept that?

As far as I know, yes. It's pretty straight forward, and the instructions included with the SIM are pretty detailed. I had no problems, and that's coming from someone who had never used a phone with a SIM before (13 years on Sprint).

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Whether StraightTalk permits voice roaming or not. The two quotes seem to conflict on this point.
The Nexus 4 is a GSM phone. According to what you quoted, phones on ST's GSM network will roam for voice and texts. So you have roaming with your Nexus 4 on ST.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
CoPilot comes highly recommended from my brother. I have CoPilot Live which is the paid version because it was on sale a while back. But the free version, CoPilot GPS, appears to have a lot of functionality.

I used CoPilot on my iPhone a few years ago but stopped because it always listed streets that never ever existed. There is a farmers field not far from me that has always been there. On CoPilot it shows three streets going through that field. You can kind of tell that maybe 20-30 years ago that the city had planed on putting streets there because the island in the middle of the street actually has a place to "make a left turn" into the field like there were plans at one time for streets to go through. Now people just use those to make U turns. Also, one time, CoPilot told me to make a left turn where there was clearly a dead end and the street never went through. Reminded me of that Office episode where Michael hears the GPS telling him to make a right so he drives into the lake.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I used CoPilot on my iPhone a few years ago but stopped because it always listed streets that never ever existed. There is a farmers field not far from me that has always been there. On CoPilot it shows three streets going through that field. You can kind of tell that maybe 20-30 years ago that the city had planed on putting streets there because the island in the middle of the street actually has a place to "make a left turn" into the field like there were plans at one time for streets to go through. Now people just use those to make U turns. Also, one time, CoPilot told me to make a left turn where there was clearly a dead end and the street never went through. Reminded me of that Office episode where Michael hears the GPS telling him to make a right so he drives into the lake.

Doesn't that still make it better than Apple maps? :cool:

I haven't had problems with CoPilot, but good to know.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, yes. It's pretty straight forward, and the instructions included with the SIM are pretty detailed. I had no problems, and that's coming from someone who had never used a phone with a SIM before (13 years on Sprint).

Well, I don't know how you guys are getting this done online. Every time I get to the point where I choose the $30 100 minute option then click SUBMIT to go onto the next step to add funding, it errors out and tells me to call T-Mobile. They then tell me I cant pick that plan because I did not buy the phone from Walmart or t mobile.

Any suggestions??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34