T-Mobile + LTE

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I live in one of their first LTE cities so I'll take my nexus 4 down and see what they say after its announced on march 26th. I Dont think anything will change for the nexus 4 on t mobile, it probably came down to the cost of putting in LTE to this phone and wanting to keep the price extremely competitive for the nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Qbancelli

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
What if FCC didn't do the lte test only because Tmobile didn't have it at the time of testing . But as we know tmobile is the only us carrier to have n4 for sale. FCC probably agreed with google and tmobile to come back for further testings when tmobile be ready with lte network... Until that time lte radio had to be disabled by software.
^^This.
Is the only logical explanation.

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Us T-Mobile customers (especially the postpaid ones) need to put as much pressure on T-Mobile to activate LTE on the N4 as possible. Email, petition, complain in stores, etc. Do you have to root your N4 to put the old radios back?

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No root but the boot loader has to be unlocked. All u gotta do is flash the old baseband(install the old radios).

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
You, I assume, weren't privy to all of those arguing over the viability of the Nexus 4 utilizing LTE?or I'm wrong and you're trolling...?

My comment was in response to the prior poster stating he was going to have an LTE-enabled phone, and didn't (and I quote) "give a damn" what anybody else said. Or, I'd venture to say, no matter what reality was like. I thought it was a little bit of an over-the-top, kind of immature comment, which is why I decided to post the Sisyphus and His Boulder image.

lolwhut?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hacking the old radio? You realize I could have flashed to the non LTE .48 radio and back to either .27 or .33 LTE enabled radio in the time it took to write this? No, you probably did not:) It's just software. But if you were waiting an official LTE announcement from Google, you may as well sell that N4.

Also, the N4 is a unlocked phone designed to sell to the millions and millions around the world that don't give two hoots about LTE like we do in the USA. LTE is proprietary. Also, there's a mulitude of good articles explaining EXACTLY why Google decided to leave out "official" LTE support. The reasons are many, and they're solid.

I am selling it... Interested? I guess I thought the LTE radio in the N4 would be compatible with t mobile's new LTE network? Is it? Used to root and ROM but after all that it is not worth it to me. Have rooted my nexus 7 and note 2 but both are back to stock. No thrill there. So yes, I guess I was waiting for official t mobile at least.

I know it will not work on LTE on att which is the network am on so use it on the weekends, not full time.

Last edited:

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My comment was in response to the prior poster stating he was going to have an LTE-enabled phone, and didn't (and I quote) "give a damn" what anybody else said. Or, I'd venture to say, no matter what reality was like. I thought it was a little bit of an over-the-top, kind of immature comment, which is why I decided to post the Sisyphus and His Boulder image.
The "prior poster" is me. I know what you implied by your post, my retort was based on your not understanding the point of my "not giving a damn" about other people's 2? on the subject of the Nexus 4's LTE antenna. I'll assume you're new to the subject, though.

Here's a Cliff Notes? walkthrough; Nexus 4 ships, some find there's an unannounced LTE capability that can be enabled. Many, along with LG themselves, state that the antenna is inoperable although those whom have enabled it on compatible networks in Canada and Mexico have posted YouTube videos of it working quite well. This is supported by notation of an excellent review done at Anandtech stating "Band 4 (AWS) could essentially be supported with the power amplifiers and transceiver that already are onboard the Nexus 4..."

The theory I believe to be most likely that I have come across is that LG/Google didn't announce LTE compatibility in order to avoid the extra steps of FCC certification therein. Band 4 is also what I assume T-Mobile will be using when introducing their LTE network and Google wished to avoid being tied to a particular carrier although, as Brian Klug states; "T-Mobile has always been something of a silent (or not so silent) target for Google?s Nexus phones..."

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
An alternative I'd go along with is that, as suggested above ? and not at all unlike how it is with, say, CPUs ? it is manufacturing cost-wise cheaper to include elements of hardware on a standard chassis and disable stuff not belonging to the primary feature set than to roll out a separate chassis for just one model of device.

Besides, what is Band 4's overall place in the world of LTE? I assume it is capable of being supported, but is that what T-Mo's entire network will be comprised of? What about AT&T? What about carriers in other countries?

What we need here is some kind of explanation from Google before we all just go off half-cocked about it. And, at the end of the day, it is your own unlocked hardware to do with as you please; there is no need for you to throw that in everyone's face.

How about you switch it back on and start testing it and see if it does work here domestically? That way, you can be the hero of the people.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
How about you switch it back on and start testing it and see if it does work here domestically? That way, you can be the hero of the people.

Ahhhh, someone is beginning to understand the point! I'm going to cry. After T-Mobile introduces LTE in NYC that's EXACTLY WHAT I'M GOING TO DO.

If you think I'm trying to throw it in anyone's face I definitely will be convinced that you're dragging this out to troll. You have the same device, heck we all have smartphones and tablets here... what's there to throw in anyone's face? Anyway, have a peaceful night.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
An alternative I'd go along with is that, as suggested above ? and not at all unlike how it is with, say, CPUs ? it is manufacturing cost-wise cheaper to include elements of hardware on a standard chassis and disable stuff not belonging to the primary feature set than to roll out a separate chassis for just one model of device.

Besides, what is Band 4's overall place in the world of LTE? I assume it is capable of being supported, but is that what T-Mo's entire network will be comprised of? What about AT&T? What about carriers in other countries?

What we need here is some kind of explanation from Google before we all just go off half-cocked about it. And, at the end of the day, it is your own unlocked hardware to do with as you please; there is no need for you to throw that in everyone's face.

T-Mobile will be using band 4 exclusively just like sprint main band is 13.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello All, How is everyone's HSPA+ speeds with this device? I know I get "4G" in my area but not sure if I get the 21 or 42. It's not a big deal as long as I get one but just wanted to know what the experience is with this. I am in Delaware about 40mins outside of Philly.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello All, How is everyone's HSPA+ speeds with this device? I know I get "4G" in my area but not sure if I get the 21 or 42. It's not a big deal as long as I get one but just wanted to know what the experience is with this. I am in Delaware about 40mins outside of Philly.

You can use the Speed Test app to measure network speeds at any time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

The cheapest option is to use a chipset that stops at HSPA+. There's an abundance of those from multiple vendors. Paying ~$40 extra for one that supports LTE and then disabling LTE doesn't make financial sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy