Nexus 4 antenna turn off or keep resetting

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

I've had my Nexus 4 from November 2012 and its recently having issues with the antenna. Randomly throughout the day the cellular data will just turn off or keep turning off and on. This also happens even if I'm using WiFi and every time this issue comes up I have to completely restart my phone to get it connected again.

Is anyone else having this issue with their Nexus 4? Can I get a replacement for this issue, could it be hardware related or is it a software bug?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea why your phone is doing this. Mine does it every once in a while, but with no regular occurrence. I was mainly chiming in to suggest that you turn airplane mode on, then off to reset the connection. This always works for me and I find it much faster than rebooting the phone.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Alright I'll give that a try and also call into Google to see if its possible for a replacement. It happens every hour or whenever I walk into or out of a WiFi area.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
This happens to me with t-mobile. It used to be two to three times a day, but now it is about three times a week. Usually happens when I want to send a text, sometimes when I make a call. As soon as I send the text, or press send to make a call, the signal will drop completely. I just toggle airplane mode off then on. Fairly quick but a pain to do. Haven't found any other ways to fix it. Not sure if it is a software problem, or a network issue. But I called tmobile a few weeks ago about pitiful speeds on HSPA+, they told me they were doing maintenance on the towers and would be down in a week and a half. After that wait it has gotten better, so I'm thinking it is a network issue with tmobile.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This happens to me with t-mobile. It used to be two to three times a day, but now it is about three times a week. Usually happens when I want to send a text, sometimes when I make a call. As soon as I send the text, or press send to make a call, the signal will drop completely. I just toggle airplane mode off then on. Fairly quick but a pain to do. Haven't found any other ways to fix it. Not sure if it is a software problem, or a network issue. But I called tmobile a few weeks ago about pitiful speeds on HSPA+, they told me they were doing maintenance on the towers and would be down in a week and a half. After that wait it has gotten better, so I'm thinking it is a network issue with tmobile.

I'm going to be switch but I'm currently using AT&T. It could be their network, I never have experienced this when using T-Mobile

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just started having this problem about an hour ago. I've had mine for over a month now with no issues but now, no matter how many times I put it on airplane mode or shut it down, it won't hold a connection for very long and either grays out or drops completely.

mr.rickeyk

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I think it's the radio inside the N4. I've noticed if I drive through an area where I lose signal for just a minute, a lot of times when I'm back in a good signal area, my data/cell coverage doesn't come back until I reboot or toggle airplane mode. I work in Park City and on my drive there's a couple miles of no service. No big deal at all since it's such a small area; but the issue is service won't cone back a lot of times until I reset it....Sucks!

I thought it was my first device and took it in to a T-Mobile store and showed them how long I would go without cell service until a reboot. (You can check the time under cell standby). They were surprised and ordered a replacement. Same thing happens with this one. I've just got used to rebooting if I ever drive through an area with no/poor service. It doesn't happen every time, but the majority of times it does.

I think the hand off issue is similar, when going from wifi to cellular, a lot of times it just doesn't connect until you reboot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rmjbailey

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Anyone has any update on this? My wife's Nexus 4 started doing this very often since the upgrade to 4.3. She is not techy and it is driving her mad.