Newbie. N4 or something else? Advice appreciated.

ajw1100

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi.
If you can spare the time to read this and post a reply it would really help a ?Senior? out!
I am soon to get my pension and am not really into high tech equipment, I have a Nokia ASHA300 phone on Orange PAYG as I make very few calls and it did all that I needed, until we recently bought a Toyota Avensis with a multifunction satnav and phone system. It seems that in order to use the system to its full I need to have a Smartphone with Wi-Fi so that the car can connect through the phone to Toyota in order to download/update various functions. The car at present shows all my phonebook contacts but does not seem to be able to discover any addresses.

The satnav uses the phonebook for destination address details, If I have Auntie Mary and her address is in my smartphone phonebook I can select Auntie Mary as a destination from the phonebook, but I cannot save Auntie Mary as destination in the satnav, there I can only seem to enter her address or postcode and I would rather say let?s visit Auntie Mary than say let?s visit CH23 9QX!

So I need a basic smartphone that I can easily enter addresses that the car will accept (See requirements), preferably via my PC used as a database as I can with the Nokia PC Suite.
I would like to have GPS navigation and to be able to enter a FULL Post Code for when we go walking.
We have BTinternet so assume we can use Wi-Fi BT hotspots free of charge while out? Then use our home hub for the car updates when at home.
It should be sim free or on Orange and take a normal sim card.
I do not need twitter or facebook.
I cannot think of any additional apps I might want at the moment but that will probably change later!
I note the battery is not ?removable? on the N4, does this mean when the battery fails you will have to bin the phone?

The suggested requirements in the cars manual are as follows:

Bluetooth ver 2.1 + EDR or higher
HPF (Hands free profile) Ver 1 or 1.5 recommended.
DUN (Dial-Up Networking profile) Ver 1.1 or higher
PAN (Personal Network Area) Ver 1.0
PBAP (Phone book access profile) Ver 1.0 or higher
MAP (Message access profile)
Application:
PIM (Personal information manager)

There are a bewildering range of phones out there but in shops they do not have many to try functionality and staff are really only interested in selling you a ?contract?. From the requirements list above is there is a better alternative to the N4 or one that is cheaper? My budget is around the ?250 mark.

Best regards
Alan.

mundane

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
i don't have any direct answer... but it might be worth checking a forum for your car and see what others are doing/using. good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak as to the functions of your car unfortunately but hopefully I've got some food for thought here.

The nice thing about the Nexus 4 is that it is Google's flagship phone and receives updates from them. This means you usually have the latest software and bug fixes. Other carriers/manufacturers can be spotty on updates. My Samsung phone is mired in Android 2.2 for instance.

GPS and wireless connectivity are pretty much standard issue with smartphones. Android does navigation with Google Maps and a Navigation app. This is standard on the N4 and most other Android phones, though carriers and manufacturers sometimes load their phones with competing software.

However, almost any smartphone will probably suit your purposes so don't be afraid to choose something you like the form factor of.

If you've got broad access to data you might be able to save money on data by using those hotspots...especially since it sounds like you don't really plan to be a heavy user outside of GPS. If you can, try to find out how much data your car will typically need. That will give you a good idea as to the type of plan you want.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

ajw1100

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your replies, I have asked on the car owners forum but no responses yet.

The N4 does seem a good choice and I am tempted in that direction, okay Silly ? Time!

Will using the built in Google GPS system be classified as a phone call and charged for by Orange? Or as I am a BT customer their ads say I can connect to the internet through their HotSpots for free, I would think then that using the phones GPS will not cost me a penny, is that correct?

Sorry to say but I do not have a clue as to what the car will need, but if it is connected via my smartphone and Home Hub then there should not be any 'connection' charges.....?

Told you, S ? T !!

Regards
Alan.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a toyota Prius C with navigation and system with various "apps". In the US, they call this "entune". I am unsure what this is called in other countries, or if it is the same capability, but I assume it is similar. They car connects via bluetooth and make phone calls, transfer phone book with addresses, stream audio, connect to the internet (requires matching entune app on the phone), etc... This sounds very similar to what you are attempting.

Regarding bluetooth profiles, I was unable to locate a listing of those supported by the nexus 4, but (like the others) expect that most android phones would be fine, including the nexus 4. The exception that jumps out at me is the message profile. The nexus 4 does not work with my car and text messages.

Another general comment is that I do not fully exploit this capability in my car. Yes, I use bluetooth phone and audio streaming, but I have removed the Entune app from the phone. My perception is that it consumed a great deal of battery power.

So I need a basic smartphone that I can easily enter addresses that the car will accept (See requirements), preferably via my PC used as a database as I can with the Nokia PC Suite.

I would be surprised if the nexus and nokia pc suite are compatible. Based on the web page, this capability appears to be unique to nokia phones. There are other options for transfering and syncing contact data between computer and phone.

We have BTinternet so assume we can use Wi-Fi BT hotspots free of charge while out? Then use our home hub for the car updates when at home.

I believe you will find the nexus to be fully capable of connecting to any available wifi hotspot

It should be sim free or on Orange and take a normal sim card

Nexus uses a micro sim card for GSM systems. I believe that this is consistent with orange, but I would check with them. Confirm that they have micro sim cards, also. If you are intending to swap a sim from an existing phone, you may find that the nexus takes a smaller version of a sim card.

I note the battery is not ?removable? on the N4, does this mean when the battery fails you will have to bin the phone?

I sure hope not. I note that there is no mention of battery replacement in the user manual, but assume that anyone handy can find replacements.

kr0k0dil

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I would like to have GPS navigation and to be able to enter a FULL Post Code for when we go walking.

You will have to create a Gmail account if you get an android phone like the Nexus 4. That means that you'll get an email and a calendar. It doesn't cost you any money and you don't have to use it either. But it will let you organize your contacts in your phonebook through your computers web browser and they will be synced to your phone. So I guess that will meet your needs!

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Will using the built in Google GPS system be classified as a phone call and charged for by Orange?
Using the phone GPS system will be considered data, not a phone call. If you rely on wifi hotspot for data, it will not be charged by orange. However, if you are outside range of wifi, data must come from your cellular connection and will be charged based upon your plan arrangements.

Sorry to say but I do not have a clue as to what the car will need, but if it is connected via my smartphone and Home Hub then there should not be any 'connection' charges.....?
Your car will connect to the smartphone. I don't believe it will connect directly to wifi (this is your home hub, correct?) Of course, I assume you will be using your car systems mostly when away from any home connection, correct? Given this, you will be using orange data connection.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope not. I note that there is no mention of battery replacement in the user manual, but assume that anyone handy can find replacements.

Just a quick note regarding the battery. The N4 battery should last at least 2-3 years (and probably more), and if it does fail you'll probably be able to take it in to a cell repair shop and get it replaced. I wouldn't worry about it.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
take it in to a cell repair shop and get it replaced.

Hopefully, you are correct. Now...I just need to find that "cell repair shop" (I have never seen such a business).

In my case, I am more inclined to attempt the repair myself, should it become necessary. I understand that the nexus 4 comes apart readily, and that the battery is secured via tape. I think I have seen evidence (if one can believe forums such as this one) to suggest that batteries ARE available to purchase.

I agree. Nothing to worry about.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech