Nexus 4 freezes, battery drains and then almost dies frequently

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Just like the title says, this has been happening ever since I bought the phone in December, I have reset the phone to stock to see if it was maybe caused by some third party app, but it still does it. It usually happens at night, and when I pick it up in the morning the notification light is usually still blinking, but it won't respond to the power button I usually have to volume down and hold power for ten seconds in order to restart it and when I do the battery is usually at around 20% or less. I always check my battery usage but it all seems normal, usually it says screen time and phone idle are the main consumers. This happens maybe 2-3 times a week, and some times it only happens once a month. Does anyone know if this is hardware or software?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just like the title says, this has been happening ever since I bought the phone in December, I have reset the phone to stock to see if it was maybe caused by some third party app, but it still does it. It usually happens at night, and when I pick it up in the morning the notification light is usually still blinking, but it won't respond to the power button I usually have to volume down and hold power for ten seconds in order to restart it and when I do the battery is usually at around 20% or less. I always check my battery usage but it all seems normal, usually it says screen time and phone idle are the main consumers. This happens maybe 2-3 times a week, and some times it only happens once a month. Does anyone know if this is hardware or software?

Hardware or software, that's not normal. If you've already done a factory reset, I would look into requesting an RMA from Google and getting a replacement. Alternatively, if you're comfortable with mucking around with the software innards, you could try downloading the 4.2.2 images from the Android development website and reflash your phone. Either would be better than fighting that behavior for the phone's life (or have it get worse).

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It's well past the time for an RMA, and it has already been updated to 4.2.2.

You got it in December. Are you saying it's no longer under warranty? Call and find out what Google or LG can do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
It is probably under LG's warranty, definitely not eligible for an RMA, I was hoping there was some kind of fix I may have overlooked because this is the only phone I have, and if I have to mail it off to LG for their coverage then I'm out a phone for however long it takes for them to fix the device or send a new one.

dizzyandlofty

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. It always seems to coincide with a Google play update notification which may be why it has random times. I am now trying to remove some custom lock screen widgets to see if that improves matters.

erictehundying

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
As CitizenCoyote says, try flashing it with a factory image (assuming you are comfortable doing that). If the behavior continues, it is a pretty good indication that it is a hardware issue. If it is your only phone, keep in mind you can always buy a pre-paid burner for whichever carrier you are on and use that temporarily. It sucks to spend money because you have to send something back, but it's never a bad idea to have a cheap spare around.

David Melvin

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Clearly a common problem, as my phone suffers from exactly the same behaviour. I deleted everything, and re-installed the base image without any additional apps ... seemed to work for a week or so, but has starting locking up again, usually over night. I have disabled automatic updates, I will try disabling all notifications and see if that stops the problem from occurring.
My next step will be to install a non-factory ROM, but I would rather not do this if possible.
I have not tried returning the phone for replacement under warranty, as the fault doesn't seem like a Hardware fault, and I purchased this phone from O/S because Google Play continually failed to have the phone in stock - warranty replacement is likely to be tricky.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Two reported cases I've read on this entire forum, seems like it's quite an uncommon problem...

You're phone had been doing this for almost 5 months and you didn't RMA the device on day one?

dizzyandlofty

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I know of someone else who suffered this problem as well. I think nowadays people always expect their phone to have these issues because they are like small computers and that's what computers do. Also as a Google phone you are on the edge of the software development as you are the first to get any latest updates and me features which tend to be the more unstable.

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
What time frame do you guys have to RMA something? 2 years here in the EU. The first 6 months the onus is on the manufacturer to prove it's not their issue. After that the onus is on you.

Last edited:

Fotos

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, has anyone managed to find a solution to this Or get the piece replaced?
I have experienced a similar issue for the past week on a daily basis, with the battery seemingly crashing from 60 to 5% on one instance.
Thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non