Data Problems (as in none): Nexus 4 with Straight Talk

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I purchased an unlocked nexus 4 last month to go with my prepaid unlimited voice + data on straight talk. i had previously joined s/t via BYOP from T-Mo (also didn't have data with my old phone, but S/T said I'd need answers from Samsung and T-Mo, and the latter two said "Only the other can help you." Later I got an e-mail from Samsung admitting that they could have helped, but they'd be violating their agreement with T-mo. grrr)

So, I cut up my mini-Sim, put it in the micro-sim holder, changed the APN in accordance with S/T instructions. Voice and text messages work like a charm. Data works like a charm, but only via wi-fi. Signal strength -- great. T-Mo coverage in this area -- great. The 3-G icon does not appear in the status bar. Any time I try to connect via S/T -- whether it's maps or Itunes or chrome browser -- I get http error 500 (internal server error), along with the text "encountered an error while retrieving http://androidapi.t-mobile.com/apppack/mvno.html." don't know whether that's relevant or not, but i find it curious that despite my straight talk apn config, the browser immediately tries to retrieve a t-mo page...

Talked with Straight Talk for 45 minutes today, and they concluded -- wait for it! -- that only the manufacturer can help.

anybody else out there with similar problems? or better yet, someone who *had* similar problems but was able to resolve them?

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Try getting a new sim card from Tmobile, home-chop jobs are at the root of more connection issues than you'd think.

maybe, but i seriously doubt it. i came over to straight talk with a samsung memoir, and with the same sim before i converted it to a micro, i had the exact same difficulties: good voice and text messaging, but no data.

MakaDudi

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Solution was to use the Straight Talk APN settings on the Support | Straight Talk website. Under phonen programming. Works like a charm now.
Good luck.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have ST ATT and have always had great data service until yesterday. Now it completely goes out and when I do have connection, it's only Edge. Sometimes it will pop back into 3G but it doesn't last long and only has 1 bar. This is happening in places I've had 5 bars of 3G over the last 4 months. Rebooting doesn't help nor does airplane mode. I've noticed though, that this only happens for about 3-4 hours each night (The past two nights) and then all works again... Not sure what's going on.

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Solution was to use the Straight Talk APN settings on the Support | Straight Talk website. Under phonen programming. Works like a charm now.
Good luck.

i sure wish my problem were that simple. according to s/t, i've had the correct settings from the start (it would be hard not to: the SIM they sent me came accompanied with an instruction sheet with the settings; but then just to make sure, over the telephone they had me delete and re-enter the settings, then reboot).

part of me is so frustrated i'm considering going to voice only with s/t, and using the data only on wi-fi. kinda defeats the purpose of having such an amazing phone, though.

i've read posts on the Internet of people with this same problem wondering whether the "data radio" on the phone is bad. i'm not a cell phone technogeek, so i'm not sure whether the data radio could be bad if i'm able to use data via wi-fi.

aarrrrgggghhhhhh.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what to suggest besides trying a different sim/service. That's really the only way to troubleshoot if it's a phone problem or a carrier problem.

I hate it when new toys don't work like they're supposed to. Good Luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
i've read posts on the Internet of people with this same problem wondering whether the "data radio" on the phone is bad. i'm not a cell phone technogeek, so i'm not sure whether the data radio could be bad if i'm able to use data via wi-fi.

aarrrrgggghhhhhh.
Yes, a component related to cellular connection could be bad. Data via cell provider (4G/3G, etc.) versus data via wi-fi (802.11. b/g/n) involves completely different components.

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, a component related to cellular connection could be bad. Data via cell provider (4G/3G, etc.) versus data via wi-fi (802.11. b/g/n) involves completely different components.
thanks. that's good to know. i'll try to establish whether problem is with the sim card first, and if not, maybe i'll have to return the darn phone.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I found that the settings on the Straight Talk site to be 100% fail for me. No data whatsoever. I had to work my Google Fu magic and finally located settings that worked the trick for me. I'd post them, but I'm on S/T AT&T, not T-Mo.

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I found that the settings on the Straight Talk site to be 100% fail for me. No data whatsoever. I had to work my Google Fu magic and finally located settings that worked the trick for me. I'd post them, but I'm on S/T AT&T, not T-Mo.

I'm so frustrated. So sick of lousy customer service, of paying for services i'm not getting, of having a nice shiny new toy that is only partially functional. straight talk tells me to go to the manufacturer (as if LG could or would do anything). and meanwhile the SIM S/T provided did not connect me to 3G in either of two phones. i'm pretty sure it's their SIM (or their config), but there's no way to verify that... (i'm wondering if walmart would let me put my SIM in one of their Nexus 4's: the easiest way, perhaps, to determine whether it's the SIM or the phone...)

i get the feeling that these corporations, these providers, know they have us over a barrel, so they don't even try to pretend one customer matters.

oh well. brave new world...

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Try these:

APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: not set
Port: not set
Username: none
Password: Server: *
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 310
MNC:260
Authentication Type: Not set
APN Type: not set

Or try this one:

Name: T-Mobile US
Proxy: (leave this blank)
Port: (leave this blank)
Username: (leave this blank)
Password: (leave this blank)
Server: (leave this blank) MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy: (leave this blank)
MMS Port: (leave this blank)
MNC: 260
APN Type: (leave this blank)

Or maybe this one:

Name: T-Mobile US
Proxy: 216.155.165.050
Port: 8080 Username: (leave this blank)
Password: (leave this blank)
Server: (leave this blank)
MMSC: http://mms.msg.english.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS Proxy: 261.155.165.050
MMS Port: 8080
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0 (don`t know if this is important)
MNC: 260
APN Type: (leave this blank)

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
there are also reports on Howardforum net10 that Nexus 4 cannot receive MMS. rest of phone functions well

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Are these for straight talk? i'm trying the first one, and i'm not sure whether there is a typo for password and or server. should password be blank, and server be followed by asterisk, or should the password be "server: *"

i thank you for your help, whether or not one of these variants works. i'm at my wit's end. so thanks.

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I tried all three, powering off and waiting a full minute after each one. although it didn't work for data, the phone still stayed on the s/t network from standpoint of voice and text msging. so curious. it makes me wonder why s/t is so specific about the settings it says are necessary, and of course, why i can't get data is still the big mystery.

a great big thank you for spending the time you spent on my problem.

cheers,
L

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Try these:

: (leave this blank)

As a forum novice I didn't know it was easier to keep track of replies to one's posts if the OP selected the "reply with quote" option. So you may not know that I responded with
"a great big thank you for spending the time you spent on my problem." Thanks again.

L

kstar12droid

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
straight talk t-mobile sim will only recieve 2g(edge) or 4g (HSPA+)data. t-mobile does not operate a 3g network. So if you live an area without 4g t mobile service. You will be reduced to 2g (edge) service. (horrible). I hope they bring back the at&t sim cards :) .

Last edited:

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Data Problems (as in none): Nexus 4 with Straight Talk -- Resolved FINALLY

Well, folks, the squeaky wheel got greased. My two-page rant to S/T's Executive Problem Resolution resulted in a phone call from someone who gave me a new setting from what they've been providing, and my Nexus 4 can now connect to the internet. True, there is no 3G or 4G or any kind of icon in the status bar, and I am still soured from my many frustrating contacts with S/T "customer service," but the guy admitted that S/T hasn't been so familiar with android software, and that it's only been in the last couple days they've obtained the new setting info.

For those who want it -- it's the proxy and mmsc proxy that are the magic bullet: 216.155.165.40. all other settings are as provided in their instructions.

I've learned how to do a screen print of my nexus screen showing the apn data, and i've transferred it via bluetooth to my laptop, but the attach options involve the url alone without a browse function, so i'm not sure you'll see the image here:
IMG_20130405_102101.JPG

Cheers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE