Help!!!! New Nexus 4 suddenly won't recognize ANY Sim card!!!

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Tried two different cards, tried factory reset. Still nothing! Any suggestions??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Tried two different cards, tried factory reset. Still nothing! Any suggestions??

Try wedging a small piece of paper in with the sim to make it more "snug." If that fixes it then you have a hardware issue

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I never tried that. I got it working by putting the Nexus into recovery mode then powering off. After that it recognized the SIM again.

I will be watching, hopefully this does not happen again!

Thanks for the suggestion though!!

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Did it again, twice. This last time I could never get it back to working.

Google is sending a new Nexus to me. Hope this next one does better!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Did it again, twice. This last time I could never get it back to working.

Google is sending a new Nexus to me. Hope this next one does better!

Sweet. Always nice to get something new, when the product you have is buggy. When I put in my sim it didn't recognize it at first either. I am not sure if this had anything to do with anything, but at the time I didn't know I had ZERO cell coverage in my house. I have to stand next to a window to get any sort of coverage at all. Once I stood next to the window and picked up a signal then my N4 recognized the sim. But I really don't remember (or know) for sure if standing next to window is what in fact enabled the N4 to recognize the sim.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I get good signal in the house, from all the carriers. I wish t mobile had better coverage. Here at the house I was getting 15-17mbps download! But at work it is Edge. :-(

I just now got the email that the new phone has shipped. I sure hope I have it by Friday, so I can play with it over the weekend.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Patience Young Skywalker. If you don't get it Fri --eh, Tomorrow-- then it will make it all that much more awesome come Monday.......

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, got my replacement today and guess what?! Yep, will not recognize any sim I put in it. The sims are good, they work fine in other phones. So made another call to Google. This time I told them I just want my money back. So they are issuing me a full refund and both phones were dropped off at the UPS Store today. I am done with the Nexus. I'm really bummed because I really liked the phone, but I cannot afford this kind of setbacks. I have now lost a week of my 30 days of prepaid service.

I have to decide to look for an unlocked S3 or iPhone 4S or 5... I tried to go pure android, Google and LG really dropped the ball.

Funny thing is the first phone was one of the new redesigned ones with the little nubs on the bottom of the back. The "brand new" replacement they sent is the older, original design.

Sent from my tricked out iPhone 4!!

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you tried this or not, but on my N4 and both my parents' N4, the phone initially wouldn't recognize the SIM. After rebooting (with the SIM in), it would recognize it.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Well, got my replacement today and guess what?! Yep, will not recognize any sim I put in it. The sims are good, they work fine in other phones. So made another call to Google. This time I told them I just want my money back. So they are issuing me a full refund and both phones were dropped off at the UPS Store today. I am done with the Nexus. I'm really bummed because I really liked the phone, but I cannot afford this kind of setbacks. I have now lost a week of my 30 days of prepaid service.

I have to decide to look for an unlocked S3 or iPhone 4S or 5... I tried to go pure android, Google and LG really dropped the ball.

Funny thing is the first phone was one of the new redesigned ones with the little nubs on the bottom of the back. The "brand new" replacement they sent is the older, original design.

Wow, that is too bad. Sorry to hear that. At least your getting your money back, but it does suck you have to eat the 30 days prepaid. Not that you would be open to the idea after having such bad luck and getting burned, but maybe give the N5 some consideration. Not much consolation to you, but Google tried -- they sent you a replacement unit quickly and if they refund you quickly and reimburse shipping costs too, then maybe the sting won't be so bad.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you tried this or not, but on my N4 and both my parents' N4, the phone initially wouldn't recognize the SIM. After rebooting (with the SIM in), it would recognize it.

Yup, tried that. Tried going into fastboot and still no luck.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that is too bad. Sorry to hear that. At least your getting your money back, but it does suck you have to eat the 30 days prepaid. Not that you would be open to the idea after having such bad luck and getting burned, but maybe give the N5 some consideration. Not much consolation to you, but Google tried -- they sent you a replacement unit quickly and if they refund you quickly and reimburse shipping costs too, then maybe the sting won't be so bad.

Yeah, I'm not bitter over it. It happens, my luck this time around stunk. LOL. I want to get a phone soon, so I probably won't wait on the Nexus 5. Probably grab a Samsung S3. Would prefer it be unlocked, but not sure how I get one that way??

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not bitter over it. It happens, my luck this time around stunk. LOL. I want to get a phone soon, so I probably won't wait on the Nexus 5. Probably grab a Samsung S3. Would prefer it be unlocked, but not sure how I get one that way??

Gosh, those are cheap now. I don't think it should be that hard to pick up an unlocked one for under $300. I've seen them posted at Best Deals Online - Daily Deals and Coupons at dealnews unlocked under $300, and I think they were new, but I didn't know how reputable the vendor was, but I just checked Amazon.com as I was writing you this post, and they have a new unlocked GS3 mini for $299.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Gosh, those are cheap now. I don't think it should be that hard to pick up an unlocked one for under $300. I've seen them posted at Best Deals Online - Daily Deals and Coupons at dealnews unlocked under $300, and I think they were new, but I didn't know how reputable the vendor was, but I just checked Amazon.com as I was writing you this post, and they have a new unlocked GS3 mini for $299.

S3 mini for $299. With a quick Amazon search I found a few regular GS3s for about $440 each.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I was shocked to say the least. But I tried everything and no luck. Could put sims in another phone and worked fine.

Well, sorry for your misfortune. Good luck with whatever new phone you decide to get!