"can't reach google at the moment" while online for voice typing

johnjacob2

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi all! I recently purchased a Nexus 4 here in Malaysia. It is running 4.2.2 version of Android.

When I use voice recognition to input text, the text is inputted for about 5 seconds correctly. Then, an error message pops up that says:

"can't reach google at the moment"

if I cancel this and re-enter voice input mode, I can continue for a little while before it happens again.

This error occurs on wifi or 3g, and even when I am connected to google services such as maps or gmail.

Any advice to resolve this error?

EDIT

Some more info - if I keep talking, it works, only when I stop talking does that error immediately pop up. Even tho the text is already there and complete. This is really odd...

Last edited:

johnjacob2

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I would be happy to but this is my first smartphone and I dont know how.

Basically I hit the microphone button on the keyboard and talk. It inputs text (thankfully my American accent works!)

Then, after Im done talking, and the text is already in the box, it says "can't reach google..."

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I would be happy to but this is my first smartphone and I dont know how.

Basically I hit the microphone button on the keyboard and talk. It inputs text (thankfully my American accent works!)

Then, after Im done talking, and the text is already in the box, it says "can't reach google..."

If you hold down the power and volume-down buttons at the same time, it should make a sound and the screen will flash white. Then just go to your gallery and it should show up.

johnjacob2

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Ok, here is what happens when I finish talking no matter if connected to internet or not:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-29-06-40-50[1].jpg
    Screenshot_2013-03-29-06-40-50[1].jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_2013-03-29-06-41-15[1].png
    Screenshot_2013-03-29-06-41-15[1].png
    104.9 KB · Views: 37

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here is what happens when I finish talking no matter if connected to internet or not:

That's really odd. Have you tried a reboot? Talking to Google (although knowing most customer service reps you probably won't get anything good out of that)? Maybe even a hard reset? Other than that, I don't know what to do. The screenshots helped, though.

johnjacob2

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I tried a reboot but it didn't help. Maybe will try a hard reset. What a frustrating issue.

EDIT: Neither worked - same problem. I think I will contact google.

Last edited:

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I tried a reboot but it didn't help. Maybe will try a hard reset. What a frustrating issue.

EDIT: Neither worked - same problem. I think I will contact google.

Good luck! If you have to go as far as an RMA, that will definitely fix the problem.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have had this sometimes, but it was sporadic and usually would work properly when I retried immediately. Are you signed into google services? Also, there may be a language pack or something that you need to download?

spursdude

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I too started having this issue after updating the Google Search app a few days ago. I had a backup of the previous version with Titanium Backup and I just restored it, and now no problems. That might not help you out a whole lot beyond knowing that it's probably Google's problem.

Gosku

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar problem, only when I make searches where the answers are not a search in Google, but a custom search or a voice command:

I tried to clean data of Voice Search app, and the problem was resolved, but then it broke again...
It happens since last update.

EDIT: Definitely it is a problem of the last update. I uninstalled Google Search updates and now It works correctly again...

Last edited:

spursdude

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
There was a new update to the Google Search app yesterday but I'm still having the same problem, now on the HTC One. Anybody else still having the problem?

talon4x4

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated with this issue. I have full 4g LTE signal so I know that's not the problem. The only thing I can think is maybe the voice servers are overwhelmed with requests. But the real question, why do I need to connect to a google server when doing a voice to text SMS message?!? Makes me wonder if they capture everything!!!

vidley

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I went to app settings of Google Search and selected uninstall updates and it seems to have solved the problem at least for now. Talk to Text is snappy and responsive like it used to be. I also went to the Play Store Google Search app settings and unchecked Auto-update. Will reply to post if it breaks again.

sweet_thoughts

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I went to app settings of Google Search and selected uninstall updates and it seems to have solved the problem at least for now. ....

EDIT:
for dummies like me that need it spelled out: this is what worked for me:
to uninstall the last update of "Google Search" app go to Settings -> Application manager, find the app there, and "uninstall update"
to deny "Google Search" app from updating again , go to google store, find "Google Search" and un tick "Auto update"

Last edited:

Jubthegreat

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I found this problem as well and think have discovered what is causing it.
Basically, Google voice search cannot understand you. I found that if i talked slowly and said 'Hello', it would pick it up and successfully search for it, whereas if I talked too quickly it would come up with the message 'can't reach Google at the moment'.

Unfortunately we are all going to have to wait for an update to fix this, but if downgrading the app works for you then do that if you want.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown