One Nexus 4 Customer Throwing in the Towel -- Straight Talk the pleasure has been all yours!

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm taking my toys (N4) and going home -- or at least to a provider who will give me the data I've been paying for. The sim S/T sent me when I joined in November with a Samsung Memoir (T-Mo) enabled voice and text, but not data. Samsung, T-Mo, and S/T got their arms all twisted pointing at each other. It was easier to blame the not-quite-smart phone than deal with these guys, so early this month I became the proud owner of N4. Same story: no data. S/T verified the APN, the provisioning, the coverage, and then blamed the manufacturer.

Yesterday, someone's S/T (AT&T) sim in my phone with the corresponding APN change resulted in data. So I know the phone is good.

I suspect that S/T would prefer not to have so many N4 users eating up bandwidth, and is therefore less than forthcoming with the many people experiencing this issue. Although a few N4 folks have reported success with the APN config S/T gave them, I know of many more on this and other forums who have had to figure out an APN that would enable data. As I don't have that level of expertise, I'd rather switch than fight...

S/T's really great deal is not good enough to compensate for the royal pain in the patoot I've had because of them since joining in November.:mad::mad::mad:

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It's just like anything else you buy at walmart.

Try Tmoble directly if you get decent service in your area, or go straight to att.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, ST is? like that. If you need advice on a new carrier/MVNO/plan to get, here are the three I'd recommend.

T-Mobile prepaid, $30, 100 min, unlimited texts, unlimited data with 5GB of 4G data (throttled after that).
Solavei (T-Mo MVNO), $50, unlimited everything with 4GB of 4G data (throttled after that).
T-Mobile prepaid or postpaid, $70, unlimited everything with no throttling whatsoever.

I'd recommend the first one if you don't talk a lot, the second one if you're a moderate user, and the third one if you use a lot of data. All plans (even the postpaid one) are no-contract.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You can get AT&T unlimited talk and text with 1GB data for $65 a month. Or the many T-Mobile plans for a few bucks more than straight talk. With all the issues posted on here I don't know why anyone would bother with them anymore. Horrible customer service(no experience but based on these forums) and vague terms and conditions should be enough to make the average consumer stay away.

m0mcat

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, ST is? like that. If you need advice on a new carrier/MVNO/plan to get, here are the three I'd recommend.
I'd recommend the first one if you don't talk a lot, the second one if you're a moderate user, and the third one if you use a lot of data. All plans (even the postpaid one) are no-contract.

Thanks for the suggestions. I hate the thought of going back to T-Mo (I left because of their lousy customer service, as well as their cutting back on the things my almost smart phone could do without a data plan, all the while trying to force me to buy data), but now that entities like MVNOs have come into being, it's forcing all but the biggest bullies to get more competitive, and T-Mo, at least for the present, is wearing a kinder, gentler face. And I'm SO ready to get the full functionality of my sleek, gorgeous N4. :D

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
...Although a few N4 folks have reported success with the APN config S/T gave them, I know of many more on this and other forums who have had to figure out an APN that would enable data.
I would say it's most folks have success, not a few. There are so many threads on so many forums asking for the best S/T APN settings, and everybody loves to reply with screenshots of their APN settings saying, "this is 1 that wrkd 4 me!", and they almost always look the same. Usually, the only thing different is the "APN Type" field, and differences there are usually just things that affect MMS (ability to send/receive both text and attachments) .

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you go with the T-Mobile prepaid plan, treat it like a $35-$40 plan instead of $30. Whatever excess balance you don't use ends up rolling to the next month and you'll have the extra minutes still.

The nice thing is you have a solid quota of 5gb of "4g" data, and after the initial set up online, you can go into a brick and mortar store if you still need help with apn settings etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20