security

gjbrns

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
my avast security tells me it can't run a firewall as my nexus 4 isn't rooted. don't mobiles need firewalls? my desktop security runs a firewall. is it worth rooting the phone? How? i'm not very techie.
also i don't like the thought of all the permissions for various apps that i have apparently agreed to eg directly call phone numbers at my cost,edit my text messages,send SMS,access and modify my contacts,prevent phone from sleeping etc, etc

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there is any reason to have security software installed. At this point I think they are gimmicks, don't really provide any protection, and they are notorious for false positives. Now this I don't know, but I think they also drain your battery and slow down the overall performance of your phone. If you are worried, just stick to the stock android and the only downloads apps from Google Play. I can understand not wanting to give every single app permission to use data on your phone, but the only way you are going to get around that is by not downloading any apps. I think the largest security threat you have is actually losing your phone, or somebody looking over your shoulder as you type in your bank's password. And of course unsecure public wifi is not all that safe. To answer your question, do I think it is worth it to root your phone so you can install avast firewall -- no I don't.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is any reason to have security software installed. At this point I think they are gimmicks, don't really provide any protection, and they are notorious for false positives. Now this I don't know, but I think they also drain your battery and slow down the overall performance of your phone. If you are worried, just stick to the stock android and the only downloads apps from Google Play.
I think that's probably true most of the time, but I'm all :confused::confused: at legit apps that require permission to do things that make no sense to me. For example, it makes sense the Starbucks app would need to send/receive data, and even the location makes sense to find nearby Starbucks stores or whatever. But I can't see any legitimate reason it needs to see caller ID, and sure as shootin' no reason for the app to make a voice call.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I think that's probably true most of the time, but I'm all :confused::confused: at legit apps that require permission to do things that make no sense to me. For example, it makes sense the Starbucks app would need to send/receive data, and even the location makes sense to find nearby Starbucks stores or whatever. But I can't see any legitimate reason it needs to see caller ID, and sure as shootin' no reason for the app to make a voice call.

Maybe to call one of the nearby Starbucks stores? Just taking a guess.

I love the apps that explain the reason for each permission in the description.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12