Nexus 4 new user; security question

javelion

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm researching how to make my new Nexus 4 difficult to steal. It seems most anti-theft measures can be defeated by simply turning the phone off. This shouldn't be a problem though, as I should be able to password protect the shut-off mechanism. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks!

pcdebb

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm researching how to make my new Nexus 4 difficult to steal. It seems most anti-theft measures can be defeated by simply turning the phone off. This shouldn't be a problem though, as I should be able to password protect the shut-off mechanism. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks!
if a smart thief wants your device, they are gonna get it. Just dont make it easy for them. I dont know how to do what your asking, but I safeguard my device and installed a highly recommended app that looks pretty good.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus&token=gqKBgDeh

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, mobile phones are really easy to steal and get away with. Like you said a smart thief will know about security software on mobile phones these days and most likely switch off the phone. With removable battery mobile phones its very easy to just take the battery out. The nexus 4 doesn't have a removable battery so the power button is a fail safe, otherwise imagine your phone just getting stuck and you not being able to do anything.

gigabitex2

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
My N4 is unlocked with a custom recovery, I use bootlocker/unlocker to lock my bootloader and have a pin code for my lock screen. I also have gotcha installed and it seems to work well. At least my data would be wiped if some d**k got ahold of it and I may even get a pic with a GPS location with a failed login attempt (+ you can do much more with gotcha) it might not be perfect security but it beats having nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
If you are worried about security, don't unlock your bootloader and use a difficult lock pattern, or pin. You can use apps like said above to try and track and take pictures of the thief.

pcdebb

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The Cerberus app has a setting where it can be hidden from the app drawer so the thief won't know it's there. I'm still playing with it and learning it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995